Spanish PAYG data SIM. 25gb for €9 per month (1 Viewer)

Metamorfosis

Free Member
Oct 13, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680g
I am in Spain and Vodafone stopped my free European usage today as I have stayed in Europe too long so I had to find an alternative data SIM. I have a smarty card with me but there is doubts whether it will activate abroad so I went into a local phone shop and came out with a simyo card with 25gb for €9 per month. They had other data band pricing but this appeared the best bang for buck.

I had to give my passport number and an address of a local campsite and activate by paying €10 in the shop so I have a credit of €1 on my PAYG account and a months data. The assistant activated the SIM using my phone in store and unlocked the pin lock on the SIM so it would work straight away once inserted in my van router. I would suggest its perhaps easier to take the router in with you so as to avoid any complications.
Top ups done by credit card or voucher purchased at various shops. Unused data rolls over to following month and can be used outside of Spain.
It uses Orange and speed seems very good on today's usage.
Hope this info makes it easy for peeps to get data when in Spain. Ask for a simyo tarjeta prepago.

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I use Simyo they have some good deals but it's only 2 months outside Spain, but I don't use that much anyway, I also have a giffgaff sim in my phone that works well because you only top it up when it needs it. 😎 Bob.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
O2 150 gb £25 per month data only and can be used in the EU.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I'm interested to know what UKTV services you can stream on this card.
Thanks.

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
I'm maybe hijacking this thread (apologies) but I'm interested in hearing about peoples' experience in the EU this summer with the old, Vodaphone 100gb per month sim only pay monthly contracts which allowed all the 100g/month to be used abroad with no restrictions to 2 months. (Not the Unlimited contracts introduced since which are governed by fair use ie 2 months and 25gb max.) Those going for the full 90 days ought to remain eligible for 100gb per month......

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
O2 have a limit of 63 days roaming.
They have also introduced a policy of not allowing Sims to be used in plugged in routers.
Not my understanding with my contract. Plus what isn’t used can be rolled over for one month. Have you a standard consumer tariff mine is a business contract.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
I'm maybe hijacking this thread (apologies) but I'm interested in hearing about peoples' experience in the EU this summer with the old, Vodaphone 100gb per month sim only pay monthly contracts which allowed all the 100g/month to be used abroad with no restrictions to 2 months. (Not the Unlimited contracts introduced since which are governed by fair use ie 2 months and 25gb max.) Those going for the full 90 days ought to remain eligible for 100gb per month......
Afaik Vodafone have always had a 63 day restriction on all Sims.

OP
OP
M

Metamorfosis

Free Member
Oct 13, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680g
I'm interested to know what UKTV services you can stream on this card.
Thanks.
BBC iPlayer will not work with this simyo SIM as I am pretty sure it won't with any foreign SIM unless you use a VPN which is very easy to do.

Hagstrom
I have a Vodafone 100gb contract that I took out end of August 2020. I have been in Spain since. I got a text two weeks ago to give me notice that they would begin charging for usage abroad. Good whilst it lasted as I believe their policy states only two months usage abroad before costs.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
76zedfour, thank you that's interesting.
(Formerly, I had believed that the 100gb/month contracts stopped being offered in September 2019 when the Unlimited range began.)

OP
OP
M

Metamorfosis

Free Member
Oct 13, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680g
I do believe in September 2020 Vodafone updated the wording on the contract regarding usage abroad so you may find people who have a 100gb sim newer than mine may be capped at 20gb abroad or the 2 month limit is strictly enforced. I can only comment on my experience which is I used close to 100gb every month from 1st September 2020 until 21st may 2021 in France and Spain. I received a text from Vodafone early May saying I was to be charged if I continued to use the SIM abroad.
Just as an afterthought. I used Three last year in Spain and found Vodafone to have stronger signal and better speeds overall. I regularly had to manually select a roaming network and sometimes opt for 3g over 4g just to get a usable strength whereas I haven't needed to override automatic roaming once with vodafone. I don't use an aerial or booster just a standard Huawei 4g router.
After a couple of days use the simyo(orange) is fast but I haven't moved from benicassim yet so time will tell. Just to clarify the simyo is PAYG so no contract. Very cheap and easy way to get data in Spain. I think it is good value compared to the funsters favourite Smarty £10 for 30gb PAYG SIM which is obviously capped at 20gb abroad

OP
OP
M

Metamorfosis

Free Member
Oct 13, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680g
Just an update on this simyo.
The speed is very good. Absolutely no complaints about speed or strength. I used all 25gb in 3 weeks so went to top up €10 using my credit card on the simyo app but it doesn't like Non Spanish cards from reading other users experiences so I went into a mobile shop and topped up there. Easy to do, just give them your mobile number.
I went to then buy a further 25gb Bonos in the app and found I had a free gift of 30gig so activated that instead. That should cover me for a few of the euro matches!
All in all a great cheap alternative for those who want to spend more than 2 months in Spain now that the UK mobile operators are enforcing their roaming clauses.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back