Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Thanks for all the info on this thread. We are in Mojaca looking at starting residencia and was wondering about the matriculation of the motorhome. Registered in the UK but a LHD so hopefully not to much of a problem and I believe it's best to declare it as part of the residencia.
Dave

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Errr ...

" In general if motorhomes are factory built and registered new as a camper then RHD or LHD should make no difference. Anything that was converted outside of Spain is not possible to re-matriculate"
This is Spain you are talking about 😂
What you are told on Monday is never going to be the same as what you are told on Wednesday and by Friday it will definitely have changed again 👍
They will all tell you everything is possible especially if money is changing hands 😂
I am with Gus on this and think it could be a complete nightmare to register a RHD but if a continental van with the habitation door on the right it might be possible 🥴🤔⚠️

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Busman, as all legal things, it is possible providing nothing gets lost in translation, 😯 some people do everything themselves, 😉 if your Spanish is good and you have all your paper work in order, 🙂 but if it's not quite right they send you out to make another appointment, for what it costs it's better paying someone, ask around and see who gets recommended. 🙂
No problem with the motorhome, yes do it at the same time. 🙂 Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Thanks for the heads up Bob bobandjanie our friends niece is Spanish and her mum use to do all this before moving so we potentially have help and just for less worry/hassel we will get a good recommended Gestor.
Great bit of info about doing the motorhome at the same time
Thanks
Dave

Feb 27, 2018
Monforte del Cid, Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 463
Exp
Not enough
Recommend Broker Seguros and Alliance, first class help when our Motorhome was damaged by floodwater in last September's storms. Took a while to get paid out and now waiting for delivery of the new Motorhome, might take a while in the current situation but not going anywhere just yet.

Dec 30, 2019
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
Is Murcia popular with ex-pat Brit m'h'ers ? That's where we're going, 20k NW from Cartagena ...
Two sites near old Murcia airport (San Javier) very nice indeed, camping Mar Menor has pitches very close to beach.

Tim Raphael

Free Member
Jun 2, 2017
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
We're emigrating to Spain and will be taking our Hymer with us and Spanish plating it. Not the original plan but hey-ho ....
From a few minutes web-browsing I haven't found a website (with an English language option, ie ex-pat friendly) that mentions motorroams et al.

Wondering if anyone on here has any experience of insuring a m\h in Spain before I start firing off lots of e-mails

Cheers 'n' Beers

Hi,
Just seen your post and found it very interesting.
We have, like you, just relocated to Spain and whilst I realise our experience is not in Portugal it is so similar we have a 2009 Autocruise Oakmont which we did Not want to give up so went for re-registration to Spanish plates. Same issues, no COC and no way of getting one, has door on the wrong side etc etc., more than 10 years old . We have only last week obtained a Spanish ITV and are awaiting our new plates, so it can be done on a vehicle like this.

We had to have:
Certificate of Electrical safety
Certificate of Gas safety
Certificate of Reducida (Reduction) this circumvents the need for Homologation
New headlamps
Tow bar removed.

All certificates had to be granted by an ITV recognised engineer. All together the bill was around 1300€, not cheap but well worth it to us and we got our ITV. Another bill of 700€ for plates, taxes etc. on top makes around 2000€ total.
We have done this all within 30 days of residency to avoid any import duty, had we not done that the bill would have been over 5000€!! That's tax and a homologation charge

We are in Los Alcazares, Murcia and the ITV was done in Cartagena.

I don't know if any of the above can help you but I really hope you succeed because changing our vans is almost worse than moving houses!! Good luck

PS. Just to say that the whole operation was handled by someone who knew the ropes and a good motorhome dealer in Los Beatos, nr Cartagena did all the work.

Tim Raphael

Free Member
Jun 2, 2017
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
Two sites near old Murcia airport (San Javier) very nice indeed, camping Mar Menor has pitches very close to beach.

The best site to stay on in Los Alcazares (Los Narejos end) is AREA Los Alcazares ... NOT AREA LOS NAREJOS.
Fantastic site, only, 5 mins from the Mar Menor and SO affordable. Amazing owners!

Broken Link Removed

1594156703249.png

OP
OP
Nigel Crompton
Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for this Tim. I also want to avoid the import duty !
Can you clarify that you started and finished the exercise within 30 days of gaining your residencia papers?
Or did you start the process well in advance.
Contact details of the person who "knew the ropes"* and the camper dealer would be useful. Please ?

* if they'll act for anybody, that is.

Cheers 'n' Beers

Tim Raphael

Free Member
Jun 2, 2017
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Nigel

I started the investigation prior to obtaining residencia and the person that organised the whole thing got the required info before I got "the green card". So, the day after I got residencia the Mhome was booked into Sangar, they carried out the work and obtained the ITV and then the guy took all the paperwork to the Oficina de Traffico and we are now awaiting the plates.

We got residencia on 23/06, Mhome to Sangar 25/06 ITV granted 26/06 and papers to Traffico last week.

Your van is a Hymer so will probably have EU homologation, which does make a difference to what paperwork is required and cost, easier for you than us. BUT, the 30 day rule applies to the import tax and in our case would have been over 3000€ !! We had to remove our tow bar as it was not fitted on the chassis from factory and therefore is not acceptable in Spain.

I have attached our bill from Sangar. They are not the cheapest or particularly hot on customer service but that was who the guy used and I have an ITV, so bit lip etc . This is their country and I accept the rules! My previous post explains the bill, the last entry is the first ITV which is always more expensive than the subsequent ones. You may not require the Ficha Reducida.

There is also the bill for the Traffico, plates, registration and transfer taxes etc, for us around 700€

The guru in question is Laurent Gerin - 0034 667 82 06 53 (Oked it with him). He is based in Los Narejos, as we are and I have known him for 17 years. He is by trade a property agent, we have bought 2 houses through him, one 17yrs ago and most recent April. So helpful and if he can't do it he knows someone who can! Our residencia was through him, handled by an excellent Abogados, he handles our taxes, the letting of one property and all the building work on our new house. He is Belgium, but almost Spanish so some patience is required! End of - he got it done as he always does!

Hope that is helpful, ask away if you want to know anything else at all and good luck !!

dg09 2.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back