Spanish Highway Robberies?? (1 Viewer)

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
In Spain, if you keep a baseball bat in the car, keep a ball with it. Spanish law says its sports equipment. Without a ball its a a weapon.
True.
Phil[/QUOTE

Good point Phil,I did't know that.
My idea is to keep an old Krooklock behind my seat.It does still work although I can't remember how many years I have had it.If stopped I would show the cops how it works.
A good clump round the bonce with the locking end may just work.Can't see they could class as offensive weapon?:winky:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
In Spain, if you keep a baseball bat in the car, keep a ball with it. Spanish law says its sports equipment. Without a ball its a a weapon.
True.
Phil[/QUOTE

Good point Phil,I did't know that.
My idea is to keep an old Krooklock behind my seat.It does still work although I can't remember how many years I have had it.If stopped I would show the cops how it works.
A good clump round the bonce with the locking end may just work.Can't see they could class as offensive weapon?:winky:

Lol... So long as they don't read this post :RollEyes:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Carrying something that you intend only to use as a weapon could get you into trouble in any European country. Baseball bats in particular if found to hand near the drivers seat can get you arrested whether you wave them around or not.

I would not encourage anyone to even consider carrying a bat/baton chances are, unless you are well practiced in it's use it will be used to cave your head in.

The best weapon you have is 1st or reverse. Moving in the general direction of 'away' as fast as you can. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
By way of counterpoint, soon after we got our first van we stopped off at a lay-by and public toilets on the A47, just on the Peterborough side of the A1. My wife put the kettle on whilst I nipped over to the toilet. When I returned, my wife was convinced she had just prevented a robbery. Apparently she emerged from the back of the van to the cab area just in time to eyeball a guy standing in front of the cab. He immediately turned on his heel, walked off to his car and drove off. Her handbag was in view on the dashboard at the time...

Was this a thwarted handbag snatch? We'll never know. [HI]But it has made us more aware of the need to keep valuables out of sight. And that theft isn't confined to abroad.[/HI]..
Never truer than today:Doh:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I laughed my socks off once. I witnessed some prune in a road rage situation with two young blokes. He went back to his car and returned waving a truncheon about, to the smiles of these two young men who took 2 seconds to take it off of him. He then spent the next five minuets begging them for his truncheon back.:RollEyes: He was lucky the two could see the humour of the situation.:Smile:

OP
OP
J

jackierals

Free Member
May 17, 2012
kent
Funster No
MH
C Class??
Exp
I'm a newbie
True.
Phil

Phil, yes we do that & I have the same in my car. Hubby is friends with several police officers and they made us aware of this a few years ago.:Smile:

DAVWOD

Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
6 years
Having read through the past posts hasn't put me off venturing into Europe one bit. Our first adventure abroad was camping in Northern France
with a very young family and have never had a problem even after going out for the day leaving all of our belongings inside the Trailer Tent.

This weekend we purchased our first Motorhome and I guess once we have got to know the Van more will venture over to Belgium and France in 2014

Motorhome fun is brilliant for 1st timers like myself and all these interesting posts all add up to helping us Newbies no matter where you are. The original post may or may not have been suspicious but like someone else posted we all need to be aware that not everyone is Squeeky clean.

Having worked for the Police just take sensible precautions don't leave valuables in sight, take your passport with you separate from your wife's

personal alarms are useful. On another note think of it this way - the chances of being a victim of crime is miniscule and if you are its just a case of having bad luck, unless you go around wearing a Rolex with short sleeves and a handful of bank notes.

Stay safe and best wishes for 2014 :thumb:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Having read through the past posts hasn't put me off venturing into Europe one bit. Our first adventure abroad was camping in Northern France
with a very young family and have never had a problem even after going out for the day leaving all of our belongings inside the Trailer Tent.

This weekend we purchased our first Motorhome and I guess once we have got to know the Van more will venture over to Belgium and France in 2014

Motorhome fun is brilliant for 1st timers like myself and all these interesting posts all add up to helping us Newbies no matter where you are. The original post may or may not have been suspicious but like someone else posted we all need to be aware that not everyone is Squeeky clean.

Having worked for the Police just take sensible precautions don't leave valuables in
sight, take your passport with you separate from your wife's

personal alarms are useful. On another note think of it this way - the chances of being a victim of crime is miniscule and if you are its just a case of having bad luck, unless you go around wearing a Rolex with short sleeves and a handful of bank notes.

Stay safe and best wishes for 2014 :thumb:

Thank goodness for a sensible reply to this post as I said earlier on instead of Spain insert ANYWHERE

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
This sort of crime is not new either! We were robbed on a service area near Milan in 1995 :Eeek:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Having read through the past posts hasn't put me off venturing into Europe one bit.

Nor should it, when travelling in Europe you are many, many times more likely to be a victim of kindness than one of crime:thumb:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We had our car broke into in spain in 1987 so tough my fault I should not have things on display
Life goes on whether its in uk or anywhere else
Just be carefull keep eyes open and dont tempt fate
These types of post while usefull can put some of traveling
I am more worried about gettin our house broke into while we are away

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
I do worry whether some people travel through life in a permanent state of alarm that something bad is going to happen. all fuelled by the Daily Rail I reckon :Angry:

well guess what folks - sh1t happens whether you're looking for it or not viz. the Glasgow helicopter crash.

take as many precautions as necessary and carry on

life's a bitch and then you die

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Some people worry too much. While a tiny bit of paranoia is a good thing:Smile:, worry is not and can damage your health.

Essential advice, easy to follow for most of us is..

When going away make sure you are insured at home. Leave nothing in your home that you cannot replace with the insurance money. Then forget about home, you've done all you can. When on the road, never have all your valuables in one place and remember that you alone are responsible for your security so give it some thought every now and then:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am very worried about all these happenings in Spain, but am more worried when its my round next :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back