Spanish Government Driving Advice In Spain (1 Viewer)

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Funny but also sad because of the irony.

So many Brits still think that the way that they negotiate a roundabout in Britain is the way to do it a cross all the rest of the world.
WRONG.
Please please please learn the traffic laws of the country you are in when you cross the channel guys! Many of them are very very different tp the Little Island.

In Spain and many other mainland European countries a roundabout is treated as a continuation of the road before and after it. Thus you stay in the slow lane regardless of exit you will take. The only time you should move into the outside "overtaking" lane on a roundabout is overtaking a very slow moving vehicle or if road markings dictate that lane for a particular destination.

Very simple once you get your "Brit" head round it. Many Brits living in Spain have still sadly never grasped that they are not driving in Britain any more.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
There's a roundabout outside 'Beltz' Mall in Orlando. They should put seats around it for the entertainment value because our American cousins, especially those travelling to Florida from out of State, haven't a clue how to deal with it.

I forgot to add, this roundabout is at the end of a cul de sac. There are no roads except the entry/exit road.o_O

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Funny but also sad because of the irony.

So many Brits still think that the way that they negotiate a roundabout in Britain is the way to do it a cross all the rest of the world.
WRONG.
Please please please learn the traffic laws of the country you are in when you cross the channel guys! Many of them are very very different tp the Little Island.

In Spain and many other mainland European countries a roundabout is treated as a continuation of the road before and after it. Thus you stay in the slow lane regardless of exit you will take. The only time you should move into the outside "overtaking" lane on a roundabout is overtaking a very slow moving vehicle or if road markings dictate that lane for a particular destination.

Very simple once you get your "Brit" head round it. Many Brits living in Spain have still sadly never grasped that they are not driving in Britain any more.
what is this slow lane you speak of?

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp

just to clarify then........ if there are 5 exits from the roundabout and you are taking the 4th or 5th one you stay in the slow/inside lane all the way round indicating your intentions until you turn off. what happens if the traffic on the fast/outside lane want to exit before your exit ??

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
just to clarify then........ if there are 5 exits from the roundabout and you are taking the 4th or 5th one you stay in the slow/inside lane all the way round indicating your intentions until you turn off. what happens if the traffic on the fast/outside lane want to exit before your exit ??

Just think what you would do if on any other stretch of dual carriageway in any other "drive on the right" European country, and want to exit that dual carriageway in 5 junctions time.
You simply stay in the right hand lane until indicating right to turn off that dual carriageway road shortly before that exit, then turn right to take that exit.

The left lane is for overtaking only (unless signs on the carriageway indicate that it may/should be used fir any other specific reason) and should ONLY be used temporarily if needing to use it briefly to overtake a slow moving vehicle; indicating left to move out into it and then once you have completed the overtake, indicating right and then returning to the normal right hand lane.

You shoukd not indicate left whilst travelling around the right hand lane of the roundabout if indenting to take an exit in 2 or 3 exits time ..... you wouldn't do that on any other stretch of curving dual carriageway ....and in fact doing so gives the wrong signal to other drivers as they think it means you are about to move out into the overtaking (left hand) lane.

Unless you've been overtaking a slow moving vehicle, the only time you should indicate on such roundabouts is shortly before the exit you intend to take, when indicate right to show that you are about to turn off that curving stretch of dual carriageway.

So many Brits in Spain and other European countries still whine about the citizens of those countries"doing roundabouts wrong" when in fact it is them doing it wrong as they've never bothered to look up traffic laws of the country they are living in/visiting.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That lot in Spain need to learn to drive.

One idiot nearly took my A frame off on a roundabout last year.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
There's a roundabout outside 'Beltz' Mall in Orlando. They should put seats around it for the entertainment value because our American cousins, especially those travelling to Florida from out of State, haven't a clue how to deal with it.

I forgot to add, this roundabout is at the end of a cul de sac. There are no roads except the entry/exit road.o_O

I think the first roundabout in the US was in Tampa and they use to do just that apparently, turn up with a picnic to watch the carnage:LOL::LOL:

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
The left lane is for overtaking only (unless signs on the carriageway indicate that it may/should be used fir any other specific reason) and should ONLY be used temporarily if needing to use it briefly to overtake a slow moving vehicle; indicating left to move out into it and then once you have completed the overtake, indicating right and then returning to the normal right hand lane.

This is not quite how I understand the instructions I've just read on the website www.ibxinsure.com/news-item/how-to-drive-in-a-roundabout-in-spain but I think it is quite difficult to explain without diagrams. The way I understand it is that you exit the roundabout from the outer lane always.... but if you are taking an exit further round the roundabout (with several exits) and are in an inner lane in order to reach your exit then you SHOULD have changed to the outer lane BEFORE you reach your exit so that you exit the roundabout ONLY from the outer lane......UNLESS otherwise signposted. Here in the UK people often exit a roundabout from a lane other than the outer lane...though that is is usually when there is a dual carriage on exit. Even if this is the case in Spain you still ONLY EXIT the roundabout from the outer lane.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
This is not quite how I understand the instructions I've just read on the website www.ibxinsure.com/news-item/how-to-drive-in-a-roundabout-in-spain but I think it is quite difficult to explain without diagrams. The way I understand it is that you exit the roundabout from the outer lane always.... but if you are taking an exit further round the roundabout (with several exits) and are in an inner lane in order to reach your exit then you SHOULD have changed to the outer lane BEFORE you reach your exit so that you exit the roundabout ONLY from the outer lane......UNLESS otherwise signposted. Here in the UK people often exit a roundabout from a lane other than the outer lane...though that is is usually when there is a dual carriage on exit. Even if this is the case in Spain you still ONLY EXIT the roundabout from the outer lane.

I have no idea why a Brit clerk sitting in a British insurance office in Britain should have published that utterly rubbish attempt at translating the original Spanish without a grownup checking It. It rather proves my point. Look at the original Spanish.

If you want chapter and verse of what I've explained for you (in Spanish of course) then you can go to the official road traffic website of the Spanish government:
www.dgt.es

Last edited:

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
I have no idea why a Brit clerk sitting in a British insurance office in Britain should have published that utterly rubbish attempt at translating the original Spanish without a grownup checking It. It rather proves my point. Look at the original Spanish.

If you want chapter and verse of what I've explained for you (in Spanish of course) then you can go to the official road traffic website of the Spanish government:
www.dgt.es

Fortunately, my husband who is Catalan speaks fluent Spanish as well as Catalan....he can read both also :)thanks for the web link:) Happy travels(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back