OP
domf
Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 744
Exp
I'm a newbie
If it is possible to drive to Spain via the tunnel in January but knowing the E111 will not be effective, plus your travel insurance may be invalid due to travelling against Government advise. What will you do for healthcover and how can this be done?
If it can we're on our way!

Thanks! My EHIC will remain valid in 2020. My travel insurance remains valid for medical cover in 2021 for areas where the Government advises against travel, expect where that advice is due to Covid. As such I have medical cover for Spain and France but not, for example, Afghanistan. It is not however valid for delays, but that risk I am happy to cover myself.

OP
OP
domf
Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 744
Exp
I'm a newbie
Pay for it? My sister went on a long weekend to Spain, fortunately she had travel insurance, she was taken very seriously ill and came home in a private plane with doctor and nurse in attendance, how many of us could really afford that, or want to try to organise it themselves either.

The only time we have needed an EHIC was in Eire. In the rush and ambulances etc the EHIC was left behind. The nice lady asked us to email them a copy sometime in the next month or so....

GirlyVanGirly

Free Member
Nov 21, 2020
Beside the Seaside, beside the Sea! East Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
18 months
Bottom line is we are all different and all risk assess differently .. Whether we agree on it is by the by :)
In my case a hernia let go that I had been repeatedly told was ok by my quack.. Emergency surgery etc etc
Yes, it cost a few bob but over all, I still reckon we are in front of the game cos all the years we have travelled the insurance we never paid for / never had would come to more than the hossy and ambulance cost :)
Well Jaws, I sincerely hope you continue to be healthy and lucky. My sister was being treated by her doctor for 'IBS' two days in Spain and she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
E111 was replaced on 1st June 2004 by an EHIC card....if you have been travelling all these years with that piece of paper (E111) you have been fortunate not to have needed emergency health assistance....so why bother now...EHIC cover ends 31st December 2020...except for some UK Nationals who reside in the EU...
Yes I have checked and its the EH1C, don't worry I live in the past I still think a pint costs 2 bob. That said however unless there is an agreement with the EU regarding medical assistance its as good as a chocolate fireguard. I have checked with LLoyds bank insurance for private cover and they assure me if travel is against Government advise you have zero cover so that has just saved me Ā£400, well done:xThumb:

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Yes I have checked and its the EH1C, don't worry I live in the past I still think a pint costs 2 bob. That said however unless there is an agreement with the EU regarding medical assistance its as good as a chocolate fireguard. I have checked with LLoyds bank insurance for private cover and they assure me if travel is against Government advise you have zero cover so that has just saved me Ā£400, well done:xThumb:
What's 2 Bob? I'm only 53.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The only time we have needed an EHIC was in Eire. In the rush and ambulances etc the EHIC was left behind. The nice lady asked us to email them a copy sometime in the next month or so....
& that is the correct procedure. You do not actually have to be holding an EHIC just have the entitlement to one. If taken ill without one the correct procedure is that the hospital administration contact your country health service using your national health number or in our case the health card information & numbers & get a faxed or email copy of your entotlement to an EHIC. Trouble is most countries you are lucky to find anyone who knows the rules.

OP
OP
domf
Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 744
Exp
I'm a newbie

You're right - the insurance from my bank is the same - however a different policy was updated to specifically include cover after the pandemic started.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
You're right - the insurance from my bank is the same - however a different policy was updated to specifically include cover after the pandemic started.
which company is your policy with? every company i checked yesterday stated it would be void if the UK Government had the country on their naughty list

Oct 26, 2016
kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 810G
Exp
since 2003
Sadly not going to winter in Spain next year 21,if itā€™s anything like earlier
this year when the caronavirus started Spain was locked down everything closed, horrible and it looks like nothing is going to change
until at least mid 2021.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back