LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Oooops just seen the headlines in the Financial Times. Most Britons face bar from visiting EU under Covid safety rules from Jan 1st.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
This thread is to help me confirm the legality, or not, of the below.

I have no interest in "opinions" so if you think what I am asking about is not appropriate, ethical etc then please do not comment.

So for each of the points below is this legal or not:

1) Book a Spanish campsite

2) Get eurotunnel from UK on 26.12 to Calais en route to Spain

3) Transit France stopping overnight, where necessary, while minimising stops en route

4) Transit Spain en route to destination again minimising stops.

5) Stay in Spain at pre booked site.

Dom
If you don't want opinions on this serious situation we all find ourselves in, then don't ask on here. Use official factual sites.....

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The OP is new so perhaps hasn’t realised that this is MotorhomeFun rather than Motorhomefacts so hasn’t realised that we don’t like being told what sort of replies are acceptable . You soon realise that you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Now where’s my stick, not sure whether to use my poking one or my stirring one today, the one I ride on is charging in the corner?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have no interest in "opinions" so if you think what I am asking about is not appropriate, ethical etc then please do not comment.
If there is a mod who can delete this please do. My ask was a genuine question.. however I have obviously stirred up a hornets nest which was my intention.

If ever you try and frame the answers or control the direction of a thread you will come unstuck. I won't delete the thread. A thread starter does not own a thread, once created everyone has the same rights upon it.

This is a friendly place packed with people with vast experience who are here to share it, you got some good answers in spite of your rather haughty opening post which proves that.

Re your questions, Given the flux we are in at the moment I don't think even the most learned fellows at Blackstone or Fountain Court could give us definitive answers today. I'm sure things will become clearer over the coming days. (y)

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Completely the opposite. I am trying to confirm my understanding of the legal position.
Not sure if you have any home insurance or similar with legal cover attached, maybe you could use that to speak to a qualified solicitor who would know the law rather than all the barrack room lawyers on here?;)

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
The OP is new so perhaps hasn’t realised that this is MotorhomeFun rather than Motorhomefacts so hasn’t realised that we don’t like being told what sort of replies are acceptable . You soon realise that you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Now where’s my stick, not sure whether to use my poking one or my stirring one today, the one I ride on is charging in the corner?
Thats the problem on here sometimes, a lot of posters could suck the fun out of a funeral.🤣🤣👍

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
There seems to be talk on the media this morning, that in the event of a 'no deal', EU borders would be closed to UK nationals from 1 January, on the grounds of our Covid levels.

No idea if accurate?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Nice to see you are taking the environment seriously switching to electric :RollEyes:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Always the same 10 or 12 folk that have to pipe in with the useless have a go posts.

Id list them but really you can spot them as the like posters on the first negative comment.

Must have red lights fitted to light up when theres a post they can drip their misery on 😁

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I dunno....
Some folk could start an argument in an isolation tank !!
I am not the brightest firework in the box but I worked out what was wanted;;;;
What IS the matter with folk lately.. cabin fever ??
They eat to many olives

Makes them bitter 😁

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
This thread is to help me confirm the legality, or not, of the below.

So for each of the points below is this legal or not:

1) Book a Spanish campsite

2) Get eurotunnel from UK on 26.12 to Calais en route to Spain

3) Transit France stopping overnight, where necessary, while minimising stops en route

4) Transit Spain en route to destination again minimising stops.

5) Stay in Spain at pre booked site.

Dom
Just on our way back slowly from Spain, Portugal, Spain, now in Le Mans on a great site called Camping Neuville. If you want a list of open sites we used let me know. As for legalities? Your in or will be in the EU so as I understand it EHIC card is valid until you depart the EU. And you can't be barred entry because you will be IN the EU prior to 'said barring of UK Citizens from 1st January.

Last edited:
OP
OP
domf
Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 744
Exp
I'm a newbie
If ever you try and frame the answers or control the direction of a thread you will come unstuck. I won't delete the thread. A thread starter does not own a thread, once created everyone has the same rights upon it.

This is a friendly place packed with people with vast experience who are here to share it, you got some good answers in spite of your rather haughty opening post which proves that.

Re your questions, Given the flux we are in at the moment I don't think even the most learned fellows at Blackstone or Fountain Court could give us definitive answers today. I'm sure things will become clearer over the coming days. (y)

Thank you for this reply. It is clear that my question was poorly phrased but was intended to learn from the large amounts of experience and knowledge on here, not to wind people up.

It appears I managed both....

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thank you for this reply. It is clear that my question was poorly phrased but was intended to learn from the large amounts of experience and knowledge on here, not to wind people up.

It appears I managed both....

No worries, I think we're all a little stir-crazy at the moment. And thanks for coming back on the thread (y)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
No worries, I think we're all a little stir-crazy at the moment. And thanks for coming back on the thread (y)
Very diplomatic Jim, you wouldn't have a few hours to spend during this weekend would you, there is a bit of a European mess to sort out.....I think you would have a far better chance than those elected to do so are having.....(y):LOL:

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Just on our way back slowly from Spain, Portugal, Spain, now in Le Mans on a great site called Camping Neuville. If you want a list of open sites we used let me know. As for legalities? Your in or will be in the EU so as I understand it EHIC card is valid until you depart the EU. And you can't be barred entry because you will be IN the EU prior to 'said barring of UK Citizens from 1st January.
Hi Peter and Julie

We would be keen to have a list of sites you have used during your recent trip or that you know are open.

We intend to travel over to Spain via the tunnel on 27th or 28th Dec.

domf,

Have a safe a pleasant journey

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
If it is possible to drive to Spain via the tunnel in January but knowing the E111 will not be effective, plus your travel insurance may be invalid due to travelling against Government advise. What will you do for healthcover and how can this be done?
If it can we're on our way!

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
If it is possible to drive to Spain via the tunnel in January but knowing the E111 will not be effective, plus your travel insurance may be invalid due to travelling against Government advise. What will you do for healthcover and how can this be done?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
E111 was replaced on 1st June 2004 by an EHIC card....if you have been travelling all these years with that piece of paper (E111) you have been fortunate not to have needed emergency health assistance....so why bother now...EHIC cover ends 31st December 2020...except for some UK Nationals who reside in the EU...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Pay for it ! We have never bothered with travel insurance, and the ONE time I tried to use my EHIC I found it had run out by 2 months..yep, I am a plonker !
No biggy though :)

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Milton Heights, Milton, Abingdon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
So thank you all for your guidance and advice. Eurotunnel booked for Friday early am and plan to drive to Spain over the weekend.
If it wasn't for the fact we are moving house early January and my wife waiting for a operation I would be driving to Spain as well. Stay safe and enjoy the warmer weather.

GirlyVanGirly

Free Member
Nov 21, 2020
Beside the Seaside, beside the Sea! East Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
18 months
Pay for it ! We have never bothered with travel insurance, and the ONE time I tried to use my EHIC I found it had run out by 2 months..yep, I am a plonker !
No biggy though :)
Pay for it? My sister went on a long weekend to Spain, fortunately she had travel insurance, she was taken very seriously ill and came home in a private plane with doctor and nurse in attendance, how many of us could really afford that, or want to try to organise it themselves either.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Pay for it? My sister went on a long weekend to Spain, fortunately she had travel insurance, she was taken very seriously ill and came home in a private plane with doctor and nurse in attendance, how many of us could really afford that, or want to try to organise it themselves either.
Bottom line is we are all different and all risk assess differently .. Whether we agree on it is by the by :)
In my case a hernia let go that I had been repeatedly told was ok by my quack.. Emergency surgery etc etc
Yes, it cost a few bob but over all, I still reckon we are in front of the game cos all the years we have travelled the insurance we never paid for / never had would come to more than the hossy and ambulance cost :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back