Spain-V-Portugal which is tops for January sun (1 Viewer)

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I would avoid travelling over the Massif in January. They don't fit snow gates on the road without good reason

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
clermont ferrand can be very cold and snowy in winter . used to go there frequently a few years ago.
i say ferry to spain . france gets cold winds etc off the alps and off the pyrennes . but everyone has to try different ways .

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Check out the statistics from January 2015:

Faro, Portugal

http://www.wunderground.com/history...reqdb.zip=00000&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=08554

Alicante, Spain

http://www.wunderground.com/history...reqdb.zip=00000&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=08359

Almeria, Spain

http://www.wunderground.com/history...reqdb.zip=00000&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=08487

And for deeper research, just go back to earlier years.

Obviously the weather is fickle, and the above won't tell you exactly what is going to happen in January 2016! ;)

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Well guess we all have an opinion based on our experiences and our favourite places.I don't want to get into a slanging match but my experience is as follows:
After more than 40 years travelling back and forth in Spain and Portugal,
I hate the Spanish habit of throwing fag butts,serviettes,nut shells on the floor of the bar,even recently experienced in 2 rather good hotels.
I prefer the softer spoken atmosphere of the Portuguese in bars or restaurants.Also preferring a few vegetables with my meal.
I totally accept Spain is warmer,I am a retired working/ middle class guy with a Canadian partner,as we cross from Spain to Portugal she breathes a sigh of relief.She feels safer,that's why we recently bought a property there so yes I am biased.
Enjoy Benidorm by all means,I respect everybody' s decisions but it's all about personal preference,each to their own.Enjoy.

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
Well guess we all have an opinion based on our experiences and our favourite places.I don't want to get into a slanging match but my experience is as follows:
After more than 40 years travelling back and forth in Spain and Portugal,
I hate the Spanish habit of throwing fag butts,serviettes,nut shells on the floor of the bar,even recently experienced in 2 rather good hotels.
I prefer the softer spoken atmosphere of the Portuguese in bars or restaurants.Also preferring a few vegetables with my meal.
I totally accept Spain is warmer,I am a retired working/ middle class guy with a Canadian partner,as we cross from Spain to Portugal she breathes a sigh of relief.She feels safer,that's why we recently bought a property there so yes I am biased.
Enjoy Benidorm by all means,I respect everybody' s decisions but it's all about personal preference,each to their own.Enjoy.
I think most funsters go to Spain for the weather?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It''s just about the same distance to either go through the centre of France using the A75 and enter Spain on the med side or go down the west coast of France and then drive through Spain via Madrid or Zaragoza. We have always done the West coast and then through Madrid to get to the Costa Calida . There is less chance of snow in France on the west coast than the A75 but last Jan/Feb there was heavy snow in northern Spain which held up some people for a few days.
This year we will be going in October but doing the Plymouth/Santander route instead.

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Hi All. Planing to go to Spain & Portugal for Winter Sun from December to March.
Did someone do a cost comparison between crossing to Calais and driving to Spain Benidorm Vs crossing to Bilbao and driving to Benidorm? (Ferry, diesel, toll roads, nights stopover)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Hi All. Planing to go to Spain & Portugal for Winter Sun from December to March.
Did someone do a cost comparison between crossing to Calais and driving to Spain Benidorm Vs crossing to Bilbao and driving to Benidorm? (Ferry, diesel, toll roads, nights stopover)
Done the comparison every year for the last 8 years but you can make the numbers stack up either way. If you take a few days and do a mainly non toll route then the Calais route can work out cheaper. However if you get low mpg and use tolls then it may work out more expensive.
This year will be doing Plymouth to Santander for a change.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Couldn't stand the ferry crossing - Dover / Calais leaves me feeling so sick. Glad to get off and dreading the trip home. Much prefer the tunnel

Reactions: JJ

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
plymouth santander ferry for me . its been like a millpond the last few years. might be a rough one this year now i have said that. but i cant drive my truck through france for the cost of the ferry. only 24 hr crossing its great have a rest on board . for me driving to dover is over 3 miles plymouth is only 30mls even the roscoff crossing is too expensive . 395 quid return this year i,m paying on the ferry.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
plymouth santander ferry for me . its been like a millpond the last few years. might be a rough one this year now i have said that. but i cant drive my truck through france for the cost of the ferry. only 24 hr crossing its great have a rest on board . for me driving to dover is over 3 miles plymouth is only 30mls even the roscoff crossing is too expensive . 395 quid return this year i,m paying on the ferry.

I have only had one bad crossing out of the dozen times i have used that crossing and that did not make us ill ...BUSBY. fingers crossed for this year,,,

Mar 17, 2014
Redditch England
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I had 10 years in Lagos, Portugal. Mind you, only the long winters. In summer (late June to September) I escaped back to UK. The height of summer is way too hot in the Algarve, too many beetroot red tourists and higher prices. The only thing to watch for is the un- obvious toll roads! They are electronic and confusing. All in all I much prefer Portugal over Spain, but in both countries I spend time in central areas of the countries. The prices of everything is cheaper, the people are much nicer and the weather is pretty good. South coast areas of both countries is too Blackpool-ish!
When you see tourists in sandals and black socks, head North and see the real country.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hi Guys
Planning a winter trip. Leaving UK just after Christmas 2015 - heading south for 3 weeks of winter sunshine
Considering Spain and Portugal and would appreciate any opinion or suggestions of which to chose
Looking for a bit of sun and some scenery. Will be touring so not thinking about staying long in any one place
Would appreciate your suggestions

Thanks
Robert

Hi @Robert Clark , we did both last year (Jan/Feb/Mar). Since you asked about winter sunshine then I have to agree with the general sentiment about Spain, it will be warmer and sunnier. However both countries will be warmer and sunnier than the UK at that time of year!

We originally felt that we only really wanted to 'do' Portugal but in the end crossed back into Spain seeking the warmer drier weather!!

The fastest way to Spain if you have limited time will however be the ferry to Spain. We crossed from Poole to Gijon, from here it is an easy (and delightful) drive straight down to Seville. It is less than 600 miles and can be done in one day!

Dunno if this link will work as I am in Shannon as I write this but here is my blog of that trip if it helps?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Robert, both are going to be a lot warmer and drier than the Ashdown Forest

We went down to Portugal in March/April this year for a month and we personally liked it much better than the "Costas" in Spain we did the year before, although I suspect that they may be a bit warmer than Portugal once you get far enough South. It just seemed friendlier and more relaxed and not so "touristy" if you know what I mean. But each to their own and, as you have seen, there are plenty on the forum who prefer Spain.

We crossed using the tunnel and headed down through South West France (too cold to stop) and Spain and entered Portugal west of a town called Caceres. It would have been quicker using a ferry to Bilbao or Santander, but, being poor sailors, we did not fancy the Bay of Biscay at that time of year. A few further days of slow progress (lots to see) got us to the Algarve and we just tootled up and down that (and a bit of the West coast) stopping where and when we felt like. We are definitely planning to go again next year.

If you like we can tell you more when we meet in Cornwall in September.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back