Spain to the UK end of May this year! (1 Viewer)

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
So we are hoping to return to the UK at the end of May and looking for the latest info on where to get the required tests to enter the UK and whats the best approach, who and what to buy / order for the 2 & 8 day tests while at home (assuming we'll still need them!).
Any other current info over the next couple of weeks would be useful too please!
One last question and this is about the site...how do I get the classified ads to show in 'list' form as they now seem to default to grid form if you know what I mean!

thanks in anticipation
Ian P.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Ian

I suspect whatever is relevant info now will not be correct when you travel st the end of May.

We came back at the end of February and things have changed quite a bit since then. I would just keep checking the government sites to be on the safe side.

What route are you intending to take?

Sorry cannot help re the classified.

OP
OP
I
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Hi Ian

I suspect whatever is relevant info now will not be correct when you travel st the end of May.

We came back at the end of February and things have changed quite a bit since then. I would just keep checking the government sites to be on the safe side.

What route are you intending to take?

Sorry cannot help re the classified.
Yes I think you are right re the chance of things changing! We just wanted to start getting a feel for how the wind is blowing! As regards route we are near Jerez and so can use either the tunnel or a Spain / UK ferry should France go red though I don't think that will happen now!

Dec 2, 2019
Redcar/Cambrils, Spain
Funster No
MH
Now Tugging
Exp
More with boats than Moho
So we are hoping to return to the UK at the end of May and looking for the latest info on where to get the required tests to enter the UK and whats the best approach, who and what to buy / order for the 2 & 8 day tests while at home (assuming we'll still need them!).
Any other current info over the next couple of weeks would be useful too please!
One last question and this is about the site...how do I get the classified ads to show in 'list' form as they now seem to default to grid form if you know what I mean!

thanks in anticipation
Ian P.
Do you know if you have to have a negative test result to actually drive through France when you leave Spain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Which means you can't go anywhere until you are allowed to travel out of your region . :(
Do you know if you have to have a negative test result to actually drive through France when you leave Spain.
Yes you do. within 72 hours. Not for actually driving through but to enter to start with. You also need daily attestations for traveling in France & have to comply with the nightly curfew.

Dec 2, 2019
Redcar/Cambrils, Spain
Funster No
MH
Now Tugging
Exp
Yes you do. within 72 hours. Not for actually driving through but to enter to start with. You also need daily attestations for traveling in France & have to comply with the nightly curfew.
So if I was driving back from Cambrils (Catalonia) to the UK via the tunnel it would realistically mean stopping for three nights in France because of the night time curfew. This would also mean finding somewhere in France to have another test and wait for the results to enter UK, which also requires a negative test taken within 72 hours.

Obviously the same for driving to Cambrils from the UK as it appears that the rules for entering and leaving Spain and the UK are the same.

Anyone know the costs for the test in Spain and France and how long it takes to get the results

I was intending to drive to Cambrils end of May to get my apartment ready for renting out during the summer but might have to put it off again for another year.

OP
OP
I
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Which means you can't go anywhere until you are allowed to travel out of your region . :(

I've not looked into it too deeply Gus but I'm thinking there are still certain reasons that permit travel. We shall of course look at it in greater depth nearer the time unless you can quote chapter and verse? I think much the same may apply to the curfew in France too if you are in 'transit' so to speak. But again we'll have to dig deeper later!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
So if I was driving back from Cambrils (Catalonia) to the UK via the tunnel it would realistically mean stopping for three nights in France because of the night time curfew. This would also mean finding somewhere in France to have another test and wait for the results to enter UK, which also requires a negative test taken within 72 hours.

Obviously the same for driving to Cambrils from the UK as it appears that the rules for entering and leaving Spain and the UK are the same.

Anyone know the costs for the test in Spain and France and how long it takes to get the results

I was intending to drive to Cambrils end of May to get my apartment ready for renting out during the summer but might have to put it off again for another year.
News hot off the press for France with anticipated dates
Might need reading elsewhere for the full detail about travelling

autocaravaner

Free Member
Mar 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
small van
March 2021, South of Spain (Seville): paid 120€ for PCR in a lab with same day results guaranteed. You can find them for around 80€ but you will probably be waiting 32h to get your results.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Spanish or UK Resident would answer some questions.....PCR Test can cost as little as 40€ and may be offered Free at your Centro Salud if you are on the Spanish health system.......like Gus said, Spanish Residents are still confined to their Regions, UK Residents could return to their home, but I cannot imagine this applies to many.

Dec 2, 2019
Redcar/Cambrils, Spain
Funster No
MH
Now Tugging
Exp
Gus, do you know if Spain has the same policy as the UK regards quarantine and taking tests on day 2 and 8 after arrival in Spain

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
News hot off the press for France with anticipated dates
Might need reading elsewhere for the full detail about travelling

I believe the date the Curfew will be lifted in France will be the 3rd of June and not the 30th as quoted.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I believe the date the Curfew will be lifted in France will be the 3rd of June and not the 30th as quoted.
On 9 June you can eat indoors, sport resumes outdoors with a health pass, the curfew is put back to 23:00, and foreign visitors can return with a health pass. The remainder of restrictions are set to be lifted on 30 June.
(Latest from the BBC)

So to all intents and purposes for us as motorhomers we should find an aire by 2300 hrs after 9th June when we will be welcome in France with a "Health Pass" whatever that ends up being

OP
OP
I
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Well just to complete this thread, we arrived home in Leeds at 05:00 this morning after a very easy and straightforward trip from Cadiz stopping overnight in a great hotel in Irun. We set off at 07:00 from El Puerto in Cadiz on Thursday morning having had a PCR test for €58 each at Seville airport the day before and having the results by 20:00 the same night. So we knew it was game on! Just normal life all the way up north through Spain with plenty of campers heading south! Mainly French and Spanish I think. At the border on Friday morning no issues just a quick look at the PCR results and the guard was more interested in our little terrier's antics which seemed to have cheered him a little as he wished us a very cheerful bon voyage! Again through France absolutely no issues and at the tunnel all very straightforward again. Only changes were that we had the car swabbed for explosive residues which was a first there and also the French border guys gave a little more in depth swipe and scan of the passports then they have in the past. No stamps and no questions as to why in the EU since December....well past the 90 day allowance as we hadn't declared our Spanish residence! Then much the same at the UK border window! A greater depth to the passport scan and questions as to where we were heading now. When of course they already knew as they had the locator form on screen as a result of the passport scan they told us as I proffered my mobile download of the form! All very easy peesy really. The down sides.....yet another confused layout at the terminal and sight of the dozens of East European vans bringing dogs to the UK as commodities for sale now we have clamped down on breeding farms here, it's just pushed them over there and God knows what conditions! Definitely needs to be stopped asap. And finally..... heading for Leeds and so M11 junction on M25 closed with no diversion signed.....the A1 closed after the A501 and the M1 with nearly 30 miles of roadworks..... welcome home!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thank you for that informative post.

It would be helpful if others coming back could post of their trials and tribulations (or lack of) when exiting out of Fortress Europe.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Well just to complete this thread, we arrived home in Leeds at 05:00 this morning after a very easy and straightforward trip from Cadiz stopping overnight in a great hotel in Irun. We set off at 07:00 from El Puerto in Cadiz on Thursday morning having had a PCR test for €58 each at Seville airport the day before and having the results by 20:00 the same night. So we knew it was game on! Just normal life all the way up north through Spain with plenty of campers heading south! Mainly French and Spanish I think. At the border on Friday morning no issues just a quick look at the PCR results and the guard was more interested in our little terrier's antics which seemed to have cheered him a little as he wished us a very cheerful bon voyage! Again through France absolutely no issues and at the tunnel all very straightforward again. Only changes were that we had the car swabbed for explosive residues which was a first there and also the French border guys gave a little more in depth swipe and scan of the passports then they have in the past. No stamps and no questions as to why in the EU since December....well past the 90 day allowance as we hadn't declared our Spanish residence! Then much the same at the UK border window! A greater depth to the passport scan and questions as to where we were heading now. When of course they already knew as they had the locator form on screen as a result of the passport scan they told us as I proffered my mobile download of the form! All very easy peesy really. The down sides.....yet another confused layout at the terminal and sight of the dozens of East European vans bringing dogs to the UK as commodities for sale now we have clamped down on breeding farms here, it's just pushed them over there and God knows what conditions! Definitely needs to be stopped asap. And finally..... heading for Leeds and so M11 junction on M25 closed with no diversion signed.....the A1 closed after the A501 and the M1 with nearly 30 miles of roadworks..... welcome home!
Although not stamped passport is scanned so dates are recorded so will be interesting the next time it is scanned on returning

OP
OP
I
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Although not stamped passport is scanned so dates are recorded so will be interesting the next time it is scanned on returning
Yes for sure as it's all uncharted territory right now! We with luck shall return to El Puerto late September/early October for six to eight months so will see how that goes!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Yes for sure as it's all uncharted territory right now! We with luck shall return to El Puerto late September/early October for six to eight months so will see how that goes!
Am guessing you have EU passports so that would explain

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
We retuned from Spain, via the tunnel (with two dogs) a week ago.

No dramas, very straightforward - providing you organise your pre and post travel PCR tests.

Spanish / French border was a non-event and the tunnel booking / border controls (all doc’s checked) was very smooth.

I hope that helps.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Not passport's but Spanish residency cards !
Us too at the moment but hopefully nationality by next year ( A load of hoops to jump through and will have taken 3years !) Can’t get a residency card here unless you are fiscally resident ie full time and main home

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
I maybe wrong but I was under the impression that as a Third Country National living in the EU, ones Residency Document is no longer valid for 'Cross Border' travel. A valid Passport is required to enter the Schengen area.

Robert

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I maybe wrong but I was under the impression that as a Third Country National living in the EU, ones Residency Document is no longer valid for 'Cross Border' travel. A valid Passport is required to enter the Schengen area.

Robert
It specifically states EU & UK citizens can use either an id Card or passport when travelling throughout the schengen area, for 5 years.
After that EU states can,if they wish,refuse to accept any card that hasn't a chip &biometric.
The new EU wide card for UK permanent residents ,known as a TIE here, complies with all those requirements.
A valid passport is only required to enter schengen.once in the card is enough.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back