Spain - Roadside breakdown, a reminder (1 Viewer)

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Some people won't see you whatever you do. This Land Rover was protecting a scene at night on a lit, quiet motorway when the Sierra hit it from the back, notwithstanding all the blue lights, etc.
CCI00004.jpg

Writing as one who has extensive experience of walking on motorways and putting out signs to protect scenes, I would prefer to put out triangles behind me if I were broken down on the hard shoulder. Even if it alerts a sleepy driver by the bump and clatter as it's driven over, it's better than the first alert being the collision with the back of my car. (That is how most crashes on the hard shoulder occur, but there is no way that "hundreds" die on the hard shoulder every year.)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
PS. As far as I can see the suggestion that "hundreds of people die on the hard shoulder each year in the UK" is wrong. In 2013 the total deaths on UK motorways was 100, and the suggestion is that about one in ten fatalities on the motorways occur on the hard shoulder.

I'm not sure, but a quick look shows that it is a very dangerous place to be walking. I did read somewhere that life expectancy of someone walking on a hard shoulder was less than Battle of Britain Pilots

http://www.highwaysindustry.com/this-is-why-you-shouldnt-stop-on-the-hard-shoulder/

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
So they don't make you walk on the hard shoulder. So you throw the triangle into the hard shoulder? :) IMO The UK have it right and Spain is Wrong.

Well they don't kill the hundreds in Spain as you say they do in the UK on the hard shoulder, but if the UK have it right so be it. I shall now agree to disagree.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Update as promised.

Visited the local barracks of the Guardia Civil in our town, today, and spoke to the Duty Officer who confirmed the details as set out in the OP. The only additional comment was common sense advise, and so omitted from OP, ........always use flashers.

So there we are. The sensible amongst the membership will probably comply, the nay sayers must make their own choices between SPANISH law and what they perceive to be their personal/familial safety.

Safe travels and hope that nobody needs to bother with the regs.

Bryan

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for the update. I would suggest the sensible among us do what is best for THEIR personal security at the time.

And if course the placement of warning triangles may well be what is best for "THEIR personal security at the time", but each unto his own, as they say.

Bryan

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Of course, it's all about Personal Security. In another life I spent a lot of time in Hotels. I've lost count of the times I've set off Fire Exit Door Alarms. Many times the sign says This Door Is Alarmed - Only open in Emergency. By ignoring the rules and trying to open them I have over the years found dozens that are locked. Personal Security is your own responsibility and it comes before silly rules, which may or may not get you a fine. :)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I was going to comment further on this thread but I decided against it.

I have to dash out anyway as my two disposable breathalyser kits in the van are out of date:D

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Have driven thousands of miles on Spanish motorway network and often wonder " why did they bother? The vast majority of them are mainly deserted for most of the day anyway, and as we don't travel at night, never been an issue we considered.
Not that we have broken down often thankfully.

Bryan

For the peace & tranquility.(y)

Having never driven in Spain, I am probable not really in a position to argue any point. Is there differences on Spanish motorways? Are they slower in general. Safer by design. If all Spanish seem to think it is fine, what gives anyone especially a foreigner the right to choose which laws to obey? Speeders don't think the law should apply to them, but what are your thoughts an them? Should speeders get away with breaking the law just because they think it is stupid. I think this thread has turned into another one of those never ending circles.
Most motorways are for the best part quite quiet. Around larger cities & towns they are busy & most also are only 2 lane. Pulling out of the right lane into the left to overtake in front of a faster vehicle is accepted normally without any histrionics. Basically works on the 'I'm ahead of you ' principle.:giggle:
When you see people in the left lane with the indicator on it isn't because they have forgotten but it is a polite way of saying " move over I want to pass" . Sometimes people will follow for miles before the indicator comes on. Others are content to follow forever & that is when bunching occurs especially as , being mostly only 2 lane, the inside at certain times of the days can be nose to tail with lorries !
Are they slower ? Err no. They are slower than they used to be but it is still not uncommon for people to be up around 180kph.

Of course, it's all about Personal Security. In another life I spent a lot of time in Hotels. I've lost count of the times I've set off Fire Exit Door Alarms. Many times the sign says This Door Is Alarmed - Only open in Emergency. By ignoring the rules and trying to open them I have over the years found dozens that are locked. Personal Security is your own responsibility and it comes before silly rules, which may or may not get you a fine. :)

Reminds me of the hotel we used regularly when first looking to buy here. The fire escape was signposted through the room we used to stay in.:LOL: Unfortunately the exit from the room was not only locked but chained outside as well. :giggle: Fortunately the window opened.(y)

Reactions: Jim

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
JUST COPIED STRAIGHT FROM R.A.C WEBSITE

While driving in Spain you are required by law to carry the following items. Hefty on-the-spot fines can be issued for failing to carry specific items:

• Reflective jackets (Although not mandatory to carry, someone walking on the road or hard shoulder can be fined if not wearing one)
  • Warning triangle (compulsory in every vehicle with 4 wheels or more) (Residents must carry 2)
  • Headlamp beam deflectors (Depending on your car, you will either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the beam manually)
  • Motorcyclists: Crash helmets are compulsory for riders of mopeds, motorcycles, trikes and quads, unless these are equipped with seat belts. Motorcycles on the road must have their lights on at all times.

*Lights (It is no longer compulsory for vehicles to carry a set of spare bulbs and the tools to fit them)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
UK motorway regs according to the highway code.

Rule 253
Prohibited vehicles. Motorways MUST NOT be used by pedestrians, holders of provisional motorcycle or car licences, riders of motorcycles under 50 cc, cyclists, horse riders, certain slow-moving vehicles and those carrying oversized loads (except by special permission), agricultural vehicles, and powered wheelchairs/powered mobility scooters (see Rules 36 to 46inclusive)

Laws HA 1980 sects 16, 17 & sched 4, MT(E&W)R regs 3(d), 4 & 11,MT(E&W)(A)R, R(S)A sects 7, 8 & sched 3, RTRA sects 17(2) & (3), &MT(S)R reg 10

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I remember a couple of years ago in Benicassim a tipper truck parked nose in on zebra crossing not only blocking that but also the roadway with the rear end sticking out. the local copper soon arrived. I thought your in trouble driver. no all he did was direct the traffic until mister tipper man moved it. I don't think we would get away with that in Spain or here.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If I breakdown in Spain I am not going to risk the hard shoulder.

I think I will unhook the toad from the A frame and drive off in that (y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
UK motorway regs according to the highway code.

Rule 253
Prohibited vehicles. Motorways MUST NOT be used by pedestrians, holders of provisional motorcycle or car licences, riders of motorcycles under 50 cc, cyclists, horse riders, certain slow-moving vehicles and those carrying oversized loads (except by special permission), agricultural vehicles, and powered wheelchairs/powered mobility scooters (see Rules 36 to 46inclusive)

Laws HA 1980 sects 16, 17 & sched 4, MT(E&W)R regs 3(d), 4 & 11,MT(E&W)(A)R, R(S)A sects 7, 8 & sched 3, RTRA sects 17(2) & (3), &MT(S)R reg 10
But you aren't a pedestrian but a broken down driver. There is a difference.

P,s,

Yer triangles have to be 100m behind in Germany.:D 200m on the autobahn! :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back