SPAIN Open Letter - Visiting Spain in MHs & CCs. (1 Viewer)

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
We would like to say hello to you all and also to request your assistance.

As many of you are already aware, here in Spain, Motorhome and Camping Car users are having a pretty tough time as in some regions not only is it forbidden for Motorhomes and Campers to drive through some towns but we are also at risk of receiving a heavy fine of approximately 600 Euros (approx. 400 Pounds Sterling) if you even dare to challenge their illegal rules.

Yes, the rules on which this is based are completely illegal as there is a so called Traffic Instruction 08-V-74, which covers these laws and which mention Motorhomes and Camping Cars in particular, and where it clearly states that parking and overnight stays are permitted in any part of Spain. (Not "camping" i.e. opening awnings, tables, chairs etc).

These Laws, which have been passed by Spanish Parliament, are of compulsory enforcement but, nevertheless, many regions choose to ignore them and dictate rules which are contrary to the Law but favour the owners of Camp Sites with the aim of forcing the users of Motorhomes and Camping Cars to use their installations and charge them really abusive prices.

We would ask you to join us in a protest against these measures which are more in keeping with a dictatorship than a democracy, as not only do we have to tolerate this imposition but the Spanish Government does not even take measures to intervene and enforce the legal Law which belongs to all Spaniards.

As you know, this type of tourism is still of a very early age in Spain – there are hardly some 40.000 Camping Cars registered – and this is why we need you to unite with us by sending either letters, mails or faxes to the Spanish Tourism Offices proclaiming your very much needed support in demanding respect for the Laws which will not only benefit the Spanish Motorhome and Camping Car users but also the other European tourists who, like yourselves, choose to visit Spain with your Motorhomes and Camping Cars to discover the important cultural and artistic heritage which remain undiscovered by many and which we would be delighted for you to be able to discover without the risk of being turned away or heavily fined.

Only after many attempts have we begun to realise that by ourselves we cannot fight for this type of tourism which we so much love; we wish to be able to park and stay overnight in an orderly fashion but in complete freedom. We are neither delinquents nor fringe dwellers but this is how we are treated. Besides legal measures paid out of our own pockets we wish to make it known via a boycott on those towns or regions which are breaking the law, that no Motorhome and Camping Car users will visit as tourists if they do not change their policies and start to obey the law.

One of these regions, today, is Asturias, which together with Cantabria – especially Santander – continually persecute us and we request you to unite with us in this boycott and, if possible, make it known that you will not visit them. On the other hand, there is another region, Galicia, which is a neighbour of Asturias and where we are welcomed with open arms. Galicia has very beautiful scenery and is, in fact, very similar to the French Brittany region, and where you will receive an exquisite welcome and be able to enjoy their typical gastronomic pleasures. Galicia is a region which we can fully recommend you visit.

We trust you will help us in benefit of all European Motorhome and Camping Car users to be able to drive and enjoy journeys through Spain in complete freedom and with the dignity which all free human beings deserve.

Thank you on behalf of your fellow Spanish Motorhome and Camping Car users.

Hostile Regions/Towns:

1) Asturias
2) Cantabria: Santander
3) Costa Blanca: Valencia, Cartagena, Javea, Benidorm
4) Costa del Sol: Marbella.

Friendly Regions/Towns:

1) Galicia
2) Costa Dorada: Benicasim (Castellón)
3) San Sebastian (Guipuzcoa)
4) Bilbao (Vizcaya)
5) Costa Brava: Blanes

If you require information regarding specific routes I will be pleased to give you all we have available including information for your navigators.

Thank you for your support.

Regards
Momo

Last edited:

TravellingCliffs

Free Member
May 15, 2008
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
since 1999

As many of you are already aware, here in Spain, Motorhome and Camping Car users are having a pretty tough time as in some regions not only is it forbidden for Motorhomes and Campers to drive through some towns but we are also at risk of receiving a heavy fine of approximately 600 Euros (approx. 400 Pounds Sterling) if you even dare to challenge their illegal rules.

Yes, the rules on which this is based are completely illegal as there is a so called Traffic Instruction 08-V-74, which covers these laws and which mention Motorhomes and Camping Cars in particular, and where it clearly states that parking and overnight stays are permitted in any part of Spain. (Not "camping" i.e. opening awnings, tables, chairs etc).

These Laws, which have been passed by Spanish Parliament, are of compulsory enforcement but, nevertheless, many regions choose to ignore them and dictate rules which are contrary to the Law but favour the owners of Camp Sites with the aim of forcing the users of Motorhomes and Camping Cars to use their installations and charge them really abusive prices.

We would ask you to join us in a protest against these measures which are more in keeping with a dictatorship than a democracy, as not only do we have to tolerate this imposition but the Spanish Government does not even take measures to intervene and enforce the legal Law which belongs to all Spaniards.

As you know, this type of tourism is still of a very early age in Spain – there are hardly some 40.000 Camping Cars registered – and this is why we need you to unite with us by sending either letters, mails or faxes to the Spanish Tourism Offices proclaiming your very much needed support in demanding respect for the Laws which will not only benefit the Spanish Motorhome and Camping Car users but also the other European tourists who, like yourselves, choose to visit Spain with your Motorhomes and Camping Cars to discover the important cultural and artistic heritage which remain undiscovered by many and which we would be delighted for you to be able to discover without the risk of being turned away or heavily fined.

Only after many attempts have we begun to realise that by ourselves we cannot fight for this type of tourism which we so much love; we wish to be able to park and stay overnight in an orderly fashion but in complete freedom. We are neither delinquents nor fringe dwellers but this is how we are treated. Besides legal measures paid out of our own pockets we wish to make it known via a boycott on those towns or regions which are breaking the law, that no Motorhome and Camping Car users will visit as tourists if they do not change their policies and start to obey the law.

One of these regions, today, is Asturias, which together with Cantabria – especially Santander – continually persecute us and we request you to unite with us in this boycott and, if possible, make it known that you will not visit them. On the other hand, there is another region, Galicia, which is a neighbour of Asturias and where we are welcomed with open arms. Galicia has very beautiful scenery and is, in fact, very similar to the French Brittany region, and where you will receive an exquisite welcome and be able to enjoy their typical gastronomic pleasures. Galicia is a region which we can fully recommend you visit.

We trust you will help us in benefit of all European Motorhome and Camping Car users to be able to drive and enjoy journeys through Spain in complete freedom and with the dignity which all free human beings deserve.

Hostile Regions/Towns:

1) Asturias

Friendly Regions/Towns:

1) Galicia
4) Bilbao (Vizcaya)

If you require information regarding specific routes I will be pleased to give you all we have available including information for your navigators.

Regards
Momo

I am in both camps here Momo. On the one hand I am a person who travels around Spain in the winter months, always on sites and usually having no trouble with the authorities. On the other hand, I am also a homeowner in Spain, close to Murcia airport and I get heartily fed up with the amount of wildcampers that clutter our area during the winter. They set up on car parks and beachside roads, running generators and satellite TV and staying for weeks at a time. It is sometimes difficult for me to access the very road I live in so from that point of view I can understand why the authorities have started clamping down. From what you have said it appears that some authorities are a bit over enthusiastic in their enforcement and that is not good. I will wait and see how I get on when I travel down to Benicasim in December. Are the so called restricted areas clearly marked? Are there really places that you are not allowed to drive through a town? How would you avoid that particular town without advance warning or is it just a money making trap? If that is the case it is pretty underhanded and is certain to backfire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

B

Bilbo Baggins

Deleted User
Looks like Santander have taken a lesson from NCP

Hi - nice site.

Following your warning I have cancelled my projected 2 month winter tour of Spain & Portugal (Shame to miss Portugal) and have written to Spanish Tourist Office with copies of pictures.

Clear multi-lingual notices are required if tourists are not to be ripped off and I consider Santander is intentionally using the Motorhomer as a cash cow.

My Email to Brittany Ferries produced a quick reply and it seems they have at least made representations.

As I have budgeted £3k for the two months Spain's loss is France & Italy's gain.

All the best

BB

Here is Brittany Ferries reply:

2008/9/19 Tuckwell, Stephen <Stephen.Tuckwell@brittanyferries.com>
- Hide quoted text -

Dear Mr W

This is something we have been aware of and have made the strongest possible representations on a number of occasions throughout the summer to the authorities in Santander but, thus far, they have been unbending.

I can understand your frustration and your plans, therefore, to avoid Santander. However, I am not quite sure why, living in Torquay, you should wish to use the tunnel when we have services to France from Plymouth, Poole and Portsmouth, unless of course you chose to blame Brittany Ferries (unfairly) for the problems in Santander.

Yours sincerely

Stephen Tuckwell | Director Communications & Portsmouth Port Operations| Brittany Ferries, Wharf Road, Portsmouth, PO2 8RU.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Compile a letter in Spanish and English

Hola Momo,

I am on your side on this and I would like to suggest that compile a letter in Spanish and English and a list of suitable addresses to send it to, then post it on this site.

You are more liklely to get a/ people to read it b/people to sent it.

regards Doug and Sandra in Sunny Seville.

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Oooops

Well thats just got me thinking about my trip this winter!

patrick

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
only site then!

Hi, as we of on 23Nov down to Spain it looks like site`s only,oh well a bit less in the bank.:Angry::Angry::Angry:

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I live in the Valencia region and always wild camp just stay away from the coast in July and August look here
Link Removed
and here
Link Removed

for wild camping places.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
We were in Spain March to May this year, we stayed on some sites but also wildcamped. Although this year we weren't moved on by the police many we spoke to said the police were clamping down more & moving people on. I have to admit that many people do abuse it by stopping for a long time & setting up camp. We would never usually stay more than 2 to 3 days & never near a residential area. When we were in Mojacca they had a sign where you could park on the beach during the day but had to move to another park at night. I found this ok knowing I would have somewhere to stay at night without being hassled. We did meet one moaner though who said it wasn't any good as it would take hin too long to set up his satelite each night:ROFLMAO: didn't like my saying he should go on a campsite :cry: after all that would cost money.
We did feel that motorhomes aren't welcomed in some parts of Spain, it will be to their loss as they will lose the revenue. All the campsites we looked at were expensive if you only stayed 1 or 2 nights but if you stayed a few weeks you could get 50% off. It is nice to have a longish stay sometimes but if like us you like to travel around spending just the odd night somewhere it is just too expensive to use campsites.
I'm afraid that another issue that will prevent me & others going is theft from MH's, we had our tyre slashed while driving through Valencia & a helpful Spaniard helped himself to the wife's handbag while I was changingthe tyre. Almost everybody I spoke to had either been robbed or personally knew of someone who had.

traveller

Free Member
Oct 27, 2007
Funster No
We were in Spain March to May this year, we stayed on some sites but also wildcamped. Although this year we weren't moved on by the police many we spoke to said the police were clamping down more & moving people on. I have to admit that many people do abuse it by stopping for a long time & setting up camp. We would never usually stay more than 2 to 3 days & never near a residential area. When we were in Mojacca they had a sign where you could park on the beach during the day but had to move to another park at night. I found this ok knowing I would have somewhere to stay at night without being hassled. We did meet one moaner though who said it wasn't any good as it would take hin too long to set up his satelite each night:ROFLMAO: didn't like my saying he should go on a campsite :cry: after all that would cost money.
We did feel that motorhomes aren't welcomed in some parts of Spain, it will be to their loss as they will lose the revenue. All the campsites we looked at were expensive if you only stayed 1 or 2 nights but if you stayed a few weeks you could get 50% off. It is nice to have a longish stay sometimes but if like us you like to travel around spending just the odd night somewhere it is just too expensive to use campsites.
I'm afraid that another issue that will prevent me & others going is theft from MH's, we had our tyre slashed while driving through Valencia & a helpful Spaniard helped himself to the wife's handbag while I was changingthe tyre. Almost everybody I spoke to had either been robbed or personally knew of someone who had.

Oh dear & other half wants to go back to Spain next year for a change
thats if we get travel insurance for the amount of days we want.

I have read on various forums of the problems in Spain.

Traveller

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
I am in both camps here Momo. On the one hand I am a person who travels around Spain in the winter months, always on sites and usually having no trouble with the authorities. On the other hand, I am also a homeowner in Spain, close to Murcia airport and I get heartily fed up with the amount of wildcampers that clutter our area during the winter. They set up on car parks and beachside roads, running generators and satellite TV and staying for weeks at a time. It is sometimes difficult for me to access the very road I live in so from that point of view I can understand why the authorities have started clamping down. From what you have said it appears that some authorities are a bit over enthusiastic in their enforcement and that is not good. I will wait and see how I get on when I travel down to Benicasim in December. Are the so called restricted areas clearly marked? Are there really places that you are not allowed to drive through a town? How would you avoid that particular town without advance warning or is it just a money making trap? If that is the case it is pretty underhanded and is certain to backfire.

Hi Tonycliff:

Thank you for commenting my post. I understand how you feel regarding the Wildcampers in your area during the Winter. It is against Spanish law to set up camp on car parks or beachside or any roads (it is legal to "park" but not to run generators, open awnings or set out table and chairs, hang out washing etc). It is legal to stay/sleep inside the motorhome overnight but any longer is considered "camping" which is illegal. My advice to you is to call the Spanish Police and they will tell the "campers" that they have to move on - after all, this is the idea of having a Motorhome, to be able to park and stay one/two nights and then move on to new pastures or move into a Camping Site if they wish to stay longer.

In many towns - especially in the North of Spain in areas such as Asturias and Cantabria (Santander) - the Police divert you around the towns if you are in a Motorhome and even divert you into a Camp Site!! The places I name as "hostile" also try to stop Motorhomes from entering the towns. Some even have "illegal" signs forbidding Motorhomes to enter the towns.

You will not have any problems in Benicasim. There is a new area for Motorhomes to empty tanks and fill up with water and which has just been opened and the Mayor has publicly declared an open welcome to Motorhomes to visit - in the Spanish press and also on TV - and to stay anywhere in Benicasim but respecting the rules of "Parking" not "Camping".

In a new topic, I will try to upload the Spanish Legislation on Motorhomes in a .pdf file in a WinZip which you should print out several copies and carry with you so if you have any problems you just show the Police a copy. As usual some will listen and some will not - but at least YOU will know that you are not breaking the law.

Regards
Momo

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi - nice site.

Following your warning I have cancelled my projected 2 month winter tour of Spain & Portugal (Shame to miss Portugal) and have written to Spanish Tourist Office with copies of pictures.

Clear multi-lingual notices are required if tourists are not to be ripped off and I consider Santander is intentionally using the Motorhomer as a cash cow.

My Email to Brittany Ferries produced a quick reply and it seems they have at least made representations.

As I have budgeted £3k for the two months Spain's loss is France & Italy's gain.

All the best

BB

Here is Brittany Ferries reply:

2008/9/19 Tuckwell, Stephen <Stephen.Tuckwell@brittanyferries.com>
- Hide quoted text -

Dear Mr W

This is something we have been aware of and have made the strongest possible representations on a number of occasions throughout the summer to the authorities in Santander but, thus far, they have been unbending.

I can understand your frustration and your plans, therefore, to avoid Santander. However, I am not quite sure why, living in Torquay, you should wish to use the tunnel when we have services to France from Plymouth, Poole and Portsmouth, unless of course you chose to blame Brittany Ferries (unfairly) for the problems in Santander.

Yours sincerely

Stephen Tuckwell | Director Communications & Portsmouth Port Operations| Brittany Ferries, Wharf Road, Portsmouth, PO2 8RU.

Hi Bilbo Baggins:

Your decision to cancel your visit to Spain and consequently Portugal is a little drastic!!! Thank you taking the time to write to the Spanish Tourist Office BUT it would be more appropriate to send an email direct to the Mayor of the town where you have problems. The addresses can be found on their websites but if anybody needs help with this just let me know.

Regards
Momo

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hola Momo,

I am on your side on this and I would like to suggest that compile a letter in Spanish and English and a list of suitable addresses to send it to, then post it on this site.

You are more liklely to get a/ people to read it b/people to sent it.

regards Doug and Sandra in Sunny Seville.

Hi Doug & Sandra:

I'm working on this! I've got the Spanish letter all ready to upload but I have to translate it into English now!! Watch this space!!

Thanks for the support.

Regards
Momo

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Well thats just got me thinking about my trip this winter!

patrick

Hi Patrick:

Don't be put off as there are still lots of places where you will not have any problems as long as you respect the rules i.e. "Park" not "Camp" which means no opening of awnings, setting out tables and chairs, using generators, hanging out washing etc. in the middle of towns!!

Regards
Momo

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi, as we of on 23Nov down to Spain it looks like site`s only,oh well a bit less in the bank.:Angry::Angry::Angry:

Hi Potjoe:

No, no, Potjoe, you mustn't feel forced into using expensive Camp Sites. The idea of having a Motorhome is to be free to "Park" wherever as they are completely self sufficient. You can drive into a town find a Car Park and "Park", visit the locality and if you wish, stay overnight in your Motorhome - what is not allowed is to "Camp" i.e. set up generators, hang out washing, open awnings and table and chairs in a Car Park!!

Regards
Momo

johnny K

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Home in Reading
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FML
Exp
Many years
johnny K

Hi I am planning a trip to spain later this month, if you could recomend any where to go, any low price sites, routes. Many thanks johnny K

Hostile Regions/Towns:

1) Asturias

Friendly Regions/Towns:

1) Galicia
4) Bilbao (Vizcaya)

Regards
Momo[/quote]

johnny K

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Home in Reading
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FML
Exp
Many years
Trip to spain

Hi I am planning a trip to Spain later this month, is there any places you can recomend to stay, low price sites, routes. I have gaslow refillable bottels do you know if it is easy to get gas :Smile: Many thanks johnny K

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Is this the document that you refer to.

INSTRUCTION 08/V-74 OF the MAIN DIRECTORATE OF TRAFFIC REGARDING the AUTOCARAVANAS

Subject DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR: Autocaravanas

Instruction 08/V-74 The constant growth that has undergone in the last years the movement of the autocaravanismo in Spain and the lack of a specific regulation of some aspects related to this activity, motivated the approval in the Plenary session of the Senate of a Motion insisting to the Government to take measures necessary to support the development of this one practice and to regulate the use of the autocaravanas.

For this reason, the Main directorate of Traffic has understood necessary to compile and to interpret in a unique document all those normative aspects that, related to the autocaravanismo, take shelter in the legislation on traffic and motor vehicles.

1. - CONCEPT Annex II of the General Regulation of Vehicles, approved by Real Decree 2822/1998, of 23 of December, defines to the autocaravana like “vehicle constructed with special intention, including lodging house, and containing, at least, the following equipment: seats and table, beds and bunks that can be turned into seats, cook and closets or similars. This equipment rigidly will be determined to the compartment house. The seats and the table can be designed to be disassembled easily.”

This one and other definitions of vehicles are fruit of the transposition of the effective Directives in the matter. Concretely the Directive 2001/116/CE of the Commission, of 20 of December of 2001 by that the Directive adapts to the technical progress 70/156/CEE of the Council regarding the approach of the legislations of the Member States on the homologation of vehicles to motor and its tows, in point 5,1 of the section To of Annex II talks about to the autocaravana like “all vehicles special of made category M so that it includes an inhabitable zone with the following minimum equipment: seats and table, beds that can form by conversion of the seats, cook, closets. This equipment will be subject firmly in the inhabitable zone; although the table will be able to be designed to clear it with facility.”

One is vehicles of category M (“vehicles of motor with at least four wheels, designed and made for the transport of passengers”) and although the Directive (116/2001/CEE) does not say it specifically can be inferred that when having capacity for eight places, at the most, (excluded the one from the conductor), we were before vehicles of the M1 category. Nevertheless, point 1 of section C of mentioned Annex II of Directive 2001/116/CE, when talking about to the types of body of the tourism vehicles (M1), mentions the following: AA Saloon car, AB Saloon car with back inner door, Familiar AC (“break”), AD Cupé, Multipurpose Convertible AE and high frequency, not talking about to the autocaravanas in mentioned point 1, but in point 5, within another category of vehicles that denominates “special vehicles” .(1)

Therefore, admitting that it is vehicles of M1 category, its body is not including in the types anticipated for the tourism but in the denominated “special vehicles”, which is not to surprise dice are constructed on the chassis of commercial vehicles commonly used for the manufacture of vans and light trucks, its length habitually oscillates between the 5.50 M.s and the 8.00, its medium altitude is around the 3.00 M.s and its authorized maximum mass is very frequently of 3,500 kg and in some cases superior, constructive characteristics that nothing has to do with an average tourism and that they affect his maneuverability, in the braking length, behavior in the turns, etc.

By all this, notwithstanding the existence of series vans whose interior has been prepared like house commonly known like “camper”, it can conclude that the autocaravanas are normally “special vehicles of the M1 category”, whose existence talks about, among others, article 2,2 of the directive 2001/116/CE of the commission, different from the tourism and creditors therefore of a specific regulation in some precise aspects as it is the case of the determination of its terminal velocities in routes outside town. On the contrary, in other aspects like circulation, shutdown and parking, are in force by the norms applicable with general character to all the vehicles.

2. - SPEEDS PRINCIPLES The article 48,1 a) of the General Regulation of Circulation, approved by Real Decree 1428/2003, of 21 of November establishes for the automobiles the terminal velocities in routes outside town according to the following tenor:
a) For automobiles:
1º In freeways and railcars: tourism and 120 motorcycles Km/h; buses, vehicles derived from tourism and adaptable mixed vehicles, 100 Km/h; trucks, vehicles articulated, tractocamiones, vans and automobiles with tow of up to 750 kg, 90 Km/h; remaining automobiles with tow: 80 Km/h.
2º In signalized conventional highways like routes for automobiles and in the rest of conventional highways whenever these last ones have a paved border of 1.50 meters or more of width, or more of a track for some of the circulation senses: 100 tourism and motorcycles Km/h; buses, vehicles derived from tourism and adaptable mixed vehicles, 90 Km/h; articulated trucks, vehicles, tractocamiones, vans and automobiles with 80 tow Km/h.
3º In the rest of the routes outside town: tourism and 90 motorcycles Km/h; buses, vehicles derived from tourism and mixed vehicles adaptable, 80 Km/h; articulated trucks, vehicles, tractocamiones, vans and automobiles with tow, 70 Km/h.
4º In any type of via where its circulation is allowed: quadricycle vehicles of three wheels and, 70 Km/h. Being the autocaravanas “special vehicles of M1 category” different from the tourism it is considered just not to apply the same speed limits to them outside town that to this type of vehicles, but those corresponding ones to other vehicles of category M (destined to the transports of people), which would give rise to the following speed limits:
- In freeways and railcars .......................................... .................. 100 Km/h.
- In conventional highways signalized like routes for automobiles and highways with paved border of at least 1.50 M.s Of width or more of a track for some of the senses of the circulation ....................................... ........................................... 90 Km/h.
- In the rest of the routes outside town .................................... 80 Km/h

These speed limits would be applicable to the autocaravanas that circulate without tow, classified in their card ITV with the following codes:

- 3148 (mixed vehicle house)
- 3200 (autocaravana without specifying of smaller or equal MMA to 3,500 kg)
- 3248 (autocaravana house of smaller or equal MMA to 3,500 kg)

The autocaravanas classified with the codes:

- 3300 (autocaravana without specifying of greater MMA of 3,500 kg)
- 3348 (autocaravana house of greater MMA of 3,500 kg)
- 2448 (van house)

They would be in force by the same speed limits applicable to the trucks (because of its authorized maximum mass) and to the rest of the vans: 90 Km/h in freeways and railcars, and 80 Km/h in conventional highways.

In urban routes they will be of application to the autocaravanas, whatever its code of classification, like to the rest of the vehicles generally the generic speed limit of 50 Km/h, in the terms anticipated in article 50 of the General Regulation of Circulation. .

3. - SHUTDOWN AND PARKING

Under the title “Stopped and parking”, the General Regulation of Regulated traffic in its chapter VIII (articles 90 to 94), the norms applicable to these maneuvers, regarding places in which they must take place, way and form of execution, positioning of the vehicle, municipal ordinances and prohibited places, that will have to be observed by all the vehicles with general character.

3,1 urban routes:In relation to the places in which they must take place the shutdown and the parking in urban routes, to article 90,2 of the General Regulation of Circulation indicate in its paragraph second that the arranged thing in the decrees that dictate the municipal authorities, in relation to which will have to be observed the effect articles 93 says the following thing:
“1. The regime of shutdown and parking in urban routes will be regulated by municipal ordinance, and will be able to be adopted the measures necessary to avoid the obstruction of the traffic, among them, hour limitations of duration of the parking, as well as the precise cogoverning measures, including the retirement of the vehicle or its immobilization when it is not provided of the title that qualifies the parking in zones limited in time, or exceed the granted authorization until the identification of the conductor is obtained.

2. In no case the municipal ordinances will be able to be against, to alter, to weaken, or to induce to confusion with the rules of this regulation.”
One of the complaints that most frequently are formulated before this Main directorate of Traffic by the users of autocaravanas is the prohibition of parking applicable to these vehicles partly or in the totality of the urban routes that some city councils incorporate to their decrees.
These regulations are realised under protection of article 7 of the text articulated of the Law on Traffic, Circulation of Motor Vehicles and Road Security, approved by Real Legislative Decree 339/1990, of 2 of March, that it attributes to the municipalities, in the scope of that Law, a series of competitions, and among them:
“b) The regulation by means of Municipal ordinance of Circulation, the uses of the urban routes, making the equitable distribution compatible of the parkings between all the users, with the necessary fluidity of the rolled traffic, as well as the establishment of measures of limited parking, with the purpose of to guarantee the rotation of the parkings,…

For this reason, according to this Main directorate of Traffic he is unquestionable that the exclusion of determined usuary must necessarily be motivated and be based on objective reasons as they can be the outer dimensions of vehicles or their authorized maximum mass, but not by its criterion of construction or use neither for subjective reasons as they can be the possible incívicos behaviors of some users such as noises nocturnes, water or sweepings spill used to the public thoroughfare, monopolisation of the public space by means of the positioning of structures and equipment or other situations of abuse against which the local authorities have effective legal tools that they must be used of nondiscriminatory form against all the violators, or are usuary of autocaravanas or any other type of vehicle.

The autocaravanas can, therefore, carry out the maneuvers of shutdown and parking in the same conditions and with the same limitations that any other vehicle.

With respect to the way and form of execution of the shutdown and the parking, article 91 of the General Regulation of Circulation establishes that these maneuvers “will have to take place in such a way that the vehicle does not prevent the circulation nor constitutes a risk for the rest of the users of the route, taking care of especially the positioning of the vehicle and of avoiding that it can be put in movement in the absence of the conductor.”

As far as the positioning of the vehicle article 92 of the mentioned General Regulation of Circulation establishes the following thing:
“1.La stopped and the parking the road will be realised paralelamente locating the vehicle on the brink of madness. By exception, another positioning will be allowed when the characteristics of the route or other circumstances advise therefore it. 2. All conductor who stops or parks his vehicle will have to do it so that he allows the best use of the remaining space available. 3. When a motor vehicle to or moped is and the conductor must leave his position, he will have to observe, in addition, as soon as they would be to him of application, the following rules: a) To stop the motor and to disconnect the starting system and, if one moved away of the vehicle, to adopt the precautions necessary to prevent its use without authorization. b) To leave to action the parking brake. c) In a provided vehicle of gear box, to leave placed the first speed, in ascending slope, and the march backwards, in descendent, or, where appropriate, the parking position. d) When one is a vehicle of more than 3,500 kilograms of authorized maximum mass, of a bus or a set of vehicles and the shutdown or the parking is realised in a place with a sensible slope, its conductor will have, in addition, to leave properly worn it, or is by means of the positioning of wedges, without others not destined of express way to this function can use to such aims elements as stones either, or by support of one of the wheels directives in the curb of the sidewalk, inclining those towards the center of the road in ascending slopes, and towards outside in downgrades. The wedges, once used, will have to be retired of the routes when resuming the march.”
It does not establish the General Regulation of Circulation other conditions that must be fulfilled when carrying out the shutdown or the parking of a vehicle, reason why this Main directorate of Traffic considers that while a vehicle anyone correctly is parked, without exceeding the road marks of boundary of the zone of parking, nor the temporary limitation of the same, is if it, it is not excellent the fact that their occupants are inside the same and the autocaravana is not an exception, being enough whereupon the activity that can be developed in its interior does not extend to the outside by means of the unfolding of elements that overflow the perimeter of the vehicle such as tenderetes, awnings, devices of leveling, supports of stabilization, etc.

3,2 interurban routes Article 90,1 of the General Regulation of Circulation defines the places in which the shutdowns must take place and the parking in interurban routes indicating that it will have to become outside the road, in the right side of this one, leaving frees the passable part of the border. Also with general character in freeways and railcars the maneuvers of shutdown and parking for all the vehicles are prohibited, safe in zones especially qualified for it. They are of application to the shutdown and the parking in interurban routes the norms regarding the way and contained form of execution in article 91 of the General Regulation of Circulation picked up in the previous point, as well as the considerations done in relation to the parking in urban routes about the presence of people inside the vehicle correctly parked, it notwithstanding the possibility of parking in areas of stations on watch or deprived lands with whose holders other conditions can remember
Other concepts somehow associated to the parking of autocaravanas as the one of encamped and spends the night do not have welcome in the normative one on, circulation of motor vehicles and road security, reason why this organism cannot pronounce itself on its definition nor on its implications.

4. - USE OF LAP BELTS AND ARRESTING GEARS

It will be used the lap belt or other arresting systems properly accredited, correctly fastened, by the conductor and the passengers of the autocaravanas as much in urban routes as interurban. The breach of this obligation by certain people based on its stature and age will adjust to the following prescriptions:
1. - Front Seats: It is prohibited to circulate with minors of twelve years in the front seats unless they use devices accredited to the effect. Exceptionally, when their stature is equal or superior to 135 centimeters, the minors of twelve years will be able to use like such device the own lap belt for adults with which the front seats are equipped. 2. - Other seats: The people whose stature reaches the 135 centimeters and does not surpass 150 centimeters, will be able to use an arresting gear indifferently accredited adapted to their stature and weight or the lap belt for adults del who are provided these seats. 3. - In the autocaravanas that are not provided of safeties accredited especially adapted to the stature and weight of their users young minors of three years of age will not be able to travel and the majors of three years who do not reach the 135 centimeters, will not be able to occupy a front seat. The set out norms completely exclude the possibility from occupation of the beds or bunks of a autocaravana in circulation, dice in addition the evident risk for their occupants in the case to abrupt braking, upset or collision, nevertheless if the seats equipped with accredited arresting systems can take care, using these systems, whenever the number of people that travel in the vehicle, as much in the cabin as in the cockpit house, does not exceed the places legally authorized that consist in the documentation of this vehicle.

5. - EQUIPMENT

As far as minimum grant that as they must take the autocaravanas, will be according to Annex XII of the General Regulation of Vehicle, the following one: A game of lamps of the lights that is forced to take, in state on watch and tools indispensable for the change of lamps, two portable devices of pre-signaling of danger, a spare wheel or a temporary wheel with the necessary tools for and change of wheels or alternative system for the change of which it offers sufficient guarantees for the mobility of the vehicle. Also, when their conductors leave the vehicle and occupy the road or the border in interurban routes must use a reflecting vest of high visibility, certificate according to Real Decree 1407/1992, of 20 of November

6. - TECHNICAL INSPECTION

According to Real Decree 711/2006, of 9 of June, by that real decrees relative to the technical inspection of vehicles and the homologation of vehicles modify certain, its parts and pieces and one modifies, also, the General Regulation of Vehicles, approved by Real Decree 2822/1998, of 23 of December, house is applied to the following frequency of inspection to the autocaravanas and the vehicles. “Antiquity: - Up to four years: free. - Of more than four years: biennial - Of more than ten years: annual”

7. - AREAS ON WATCH OR OF WELCOME

One is facilities specifically conceived to give to service or welcome to the autocaravanas facilitating a series of necessary services for these vehicles, essentially: potable water parking, provision and place for the casting of deposits. Unlike the tourism campings, the areas on watch or welcomed provide the physical space strictly necessary to park the vehicle and can be of public or private ownership. Knowledge of the existence of 60 facilities of this type in Spain is had, on which, through the Motion by the Plenary session of the Senate the 9 of May of 2006, are urged to the Government to the creation of a signal of circulation within the section of signals on watch. This Main directorate of Traffic considers that, notwithstanding the future design and inclusion in the official catalogue of signals of a specific signal that indicates the location of an area on watch or welcome of autocaravanas, at present the S-122 signal “other services” of the official catalogue of signals of circulation incorporated to Annex I of the General Regulation of Circulation allow, by means of the inclusion of a simple pictogram, to give satisfaction to this necessity.

8. - TRANSPORT OF AUXILIARY VEHICLES:

The transport by the autocaravanas of auxiliary vehicles is very frequent, normally bicycles, a moped or a motorcycle of small piston displacement. This practical one is authorized whenever portabicicletas is used accredited or a platform destined to this purpose and, when it excels of the projection in plant of the autocaravana, satisfy the following requirements according to the arranged thing in articles 15 of the General Regulation of Circulation

That it excels of the projection in plant of the autocaravana, by the later part, until a 10% of his length and if outside a single vehicle (indivisible load), a 15%. That all the advisable precautions are adopted to avoid damages or dangers to the other users of the public thoroughfare, having to go protected the salient extremity to lessen the effects of a rubbing or hits possible.

It will have to be signalized by means of the V-20 signal to that the article 173 talks about and whose characteristics settle down in Annex XI of the General Regulation of Vehicles. This signal will be placed in the later end of the load so that it is constantly perpendicular to the axis of the vehicle.

Consultations in relation to the possibility that have also been formulated a autocaravana circulates towing to a tourism, this possibility is prohibited in article 9,3 of the General Regulation of Vehicles that does not allow the circulation of.
motor vehicle dragging to another one, unless that one is damaged or injured and it cannot to this end be dragged by another one specifically destined, in which case allows to its drag until the locality or next place where it can be immobilized without obstructing the circulation and whenever freeway or railcar is not circulated around.

Notwithstanding the previous circulation, of a set of vehicles integrated by a autocaravana and a tow or semitrailer on which another vehicle is transported, it is allowed if the set meets the conditions for the circulation by the public thoroughfares and is accredited according to the Directives 70/156/CEE and 94/20/CEE and in addition does not surpass the authorized maximum length for these sets that is of 18.75 meters for the tows and 16.50 meters for the semitrailers

What public for general knowledge becomes.

Madrid, 28 of January of 2008

THE CHIEF OF A MAIN DIRECTORATE
Navarrese Pere Olivella

TO ALL THE UNITS OF THE ORGANISM

As I see it, one of the big problems appears to be the risk of receiving a heavy fine of approximately 600 Euros (approx. 400 Pounds Sterling) if you even dare to challenge their illegal rules.

Last edited:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Could this be a negative for A-frames?
that does not allow the circulation of motor vehicle dragging to another one, unless that one is damaged or injured and it cannot to this end be dragged by another one specifically destined, in which case allows to its drag until the locality or next place where it can be immobilized without obstructing the circulation and whenever freeway or railcar is not circulated around.

and better news for trailers?
Notwithstanding the previous circulation, of a set of vehicles integrated by a autocaravana and a tow or semitrailer on which another vehicle is transported, it is allowed if the set meets the conditions for the circulation by the public thoroughfares and is accredited according to the Directives 70/156/CEE and 94/20/CEE and in addition does not surpass the authorized maximum length for these sets that is of 18.75 meters for the tows and 16.50 meters for the semitrailers

:Smile:
Keith

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
"A" Frames

Hi

It has always been illegal in Spain and large if not Most parts of EU for An "A" frame to be used BY A NATIONAL of that state. Primarily because they are not legal in their OWN State(s)

WE (brits) ONLY get away with it because :- 1) It is NOT ILLEGAL in the UK (It`s never been tested by the UK courts, UNLIKE "Dolly`s" which have)
2) Under EU convention IF it is accepted in the UK, then for a VISITOR who only "temporarily" Imports the device (Vehicle so towed) as with a holiday maker., then It must be accepted. However the minute you register the towing vehicle in that (EU) country it then becomes illegal (you are treated as a "National")

This works as well in the UK, when you consider the Small but significant numbers of Geman/Dutch OVERWIDTH (by UK standards) caravans which visit, otherwise they would all be turned back a "Dover"!!.

This was advised to me some years ago by a member of the Caravan Club Technical committee. during my time as a Centre Officer.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi I am planning a trip to Spain later this month, is there any places you can recomend to stay, low price sites, routes. I have gaslow refillable bottels do you know if it is easy to get gas :Smile: Many thanks johnny K

Hi Johnny:

It depends which part of Spain you intend visiting - it's a large country!! I would recommend as far South as possible for the best temperatures. They have already opened some ski slopes (one month early) due to the amount of snow which has fallen in Granada (Sierra Nevada) and the Pyrenees!!

I am going to try and upload a .pdf document with the addresses of where you can refill your gas bottles.

Regards, Momo

Sorry, once again the file is too big. 19.5 kb is far too small for .pdf files - hope Jim takes note!!! If you send me a mail to: momo@ya.com I'll send it to you and to whoever else is interested.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Glad you cleared that up. ?????
Derek

Hi Derek h & Gonewiththewind:

Sorry but I did try to reply after returning from holiday in USA but I see now that my replies weren't printed!!

Will try and upload a better translation and the official Spanish Version (which should be photocopied) to show the Police if you have any problems.

Regards
Momo

Sorry but cannot upload yet again!! Send me an email to: momo@ya.com and I'll send the information to whoever is interested.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

We go to Santa Suzanna, north of Barcelona for the spring and autumn, and have just returned after near10 weeks camping at Bon Repos which is right on the beach. All pitches have free electric, water and grey waste so if you take a pipe to run from your grey waste tank you never have to empty the tank you just leave it open.

There is an excellent restaurant and the biggest pool in Santa Suzanna. The site has internet access and if you are in the right position free internet to the wifi in Santa Suzanna (Username is ajuntament and password is ajuntament) There is a small supermarket on site, but Carrefore and Lidl are only 10 minutes walk away. The train which takes you to Barcelona (6 euros 50 RETURN) is about 200 meters in one direction and the main town just round the corner in the other.

If you go in the super low season you receive 65% discount if you stay more that 5 nights, and if you stay for 30 nights you pay for only 20.

We love the site and tend to stay there and go off on the train when we want a change of scenery.

With regards to Gaslow, we have two gaslow bottles fitted, we stayed 10 weeks and only used 1 bottle. If you need to refill a good tip is to ask a taxi driver, apparently a lot of taxis run on gas!:thumb:

Good luck - and enjoy

Ginny

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi Derek h & Gonewiththewind:

Sorry but I did try to reply after returning from holiday in USA but I see now that my replies weren't printed!!

Will try and upload a better translation and the official Spanish Version (which should be photocopied) to show the Police if you have any problems.

Regards
Momo

Sorry but cannot upload yet again!! Send me an email to: momo@ya.com and I'll send the information to whoever is interested.

Sorry again but my email is: momoac@ya.com (the other appears not to be working!)

Momo :Doh:

johnny K

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Home in Reading
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FML
Exp
Many years
Santa Suzanna

We go to Santa Suzanna, north of Barcelona for the spring and autumn, and have just returned after near10 weeks camping at Bon Repos which is right on the beach. All pitches have free electric, water and grey waste so if you take a pipe to run from your grey waste tank you never have to empty the tank you just leave it open.

There is an excellent restaurant and the biggest pool in Santa Suzanna. The site has internet access and if you are in the right position free internet to the wifi in Santa Suzanna (Username is ajuntament and password is ajuntament) There is a small supermarket on site, but Carrefore and Lidl are only 10 minutes walk away. The train which takes you to Barcelona (6 euros 50 RETURN) is about 200 meters in one direction and the main town just round the corner in the other.

If you go in the super low season you receive 65% discount if you stay more that 5 nights, and if you stay for 30 nights you pay for only 20.

We love the site and tend to stay there and go off on the train when we want a change of scenery.

With regards to Gaslow, we have two gaslow bottles fitted, we stayed 10 weeks and only used 1 bottle. If you need to refill a good tip is to ask a taxi driver, apparently a lot of taxis run on gas!:thumb:

Good luck - and enjoy

Ginny
Hi Ginny, thanks so much for all your helpfull info, could you tell me the cost of the site you recomended, and have you any idea what the weather is like this time of year. Many thanks Johnny K

M

miggy

Deleted User

Hi was thinking of going to spain in summer could you give us any info and routes to good sites dont want fines on first trip.
We fancy any costas. .:Cool:CHEERS

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi momo used the traffic directive you posted end of last year in agulias the guardia were very impressed and said we could stay the night . moved to next beach for a few days and was left alone . always be prepared to move but dont push too hard . only stop we were asked to move rest of trip went ok . thanks for the info.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back