LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
I am of to Spain for 3 weeks in June and looking for some travel tips
I have booked brittany ferries from portsmouth to santander which arrives on Saturday around 5.30pm.
We will be heading for Benidorm via Zaragoza not wanting to hang around once we have cleared the port I would like to drive untill it starts getting dark around 3-4 hours.
Can anyone help with some stopover ideas on route for a quick overnight stop and campsites in benidorm (do you have to book or can you just turn up).
Sorry if this has been asked before thanks in advance

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have not been to Benidorm in June but have stayed in Altea which is just round the corner.

The site in Altea was pretty quiet during the week but did liven up when the Spanish arrive for the weekend.

Unless you have a reason to go via Zaragoza it might be better to go via Madrid to Benidorm.

There are minimal tolls this way. Although I would recommend you check the Toll situation as some motorways have been reclassified and made free recently.

In 3-4 hours you should be somewhere near 1/2 way there and I think you will find most sites will be open with plots available.

I would also advise you check if it is a Spanish holiday in the area you want to stay as on a Saturday the sites can be full at these times.

Have a great trip. (y)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Pick a site, go online and book it. Saves worrying about arriving there to not find a place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
If you go vis Madrid, you could consider Aranjuez just south of the area. It is a campsite rather than an Aire but the surroundings are so worth a visit, this would be one of my first choices.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can anyone help with some stopover ideas

After reading about park4night on here we found it excellent on the road as long as you have mobile date. It may be possible to download the data, not sure.

OP
OP
kelv

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Thanks for all the info so far very informative
not sure about staying on campsite as receptions may be closed.
not looked at the Madrid route being a large city with traffic etc.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
If you are using a Sat Nav, the route through Madrid is very simple and I doubt if your speed will go below 50 at any point. A well designed routing through the city.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I checked the Camp out, which is always open and is also in the ACSI book I believe.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Receptions in Spain stay open quite late and 10.00pm is not unheard of.

The motorways by Madrid, whilst it gets a bit busier we have never been held up. We have used this route 4x a year for around 5 years.

Most major roads in Spain away from the big cities and Med coast are fairly quiet.

Almost all roads in land have always appeared largely deserted to me. But I live near London so any road is better after driving on the M25.

The motorways in the North twist and turn and go up and down a bit so average speeds will be lower.

Going across Spain on any Motorway route and I suspect you may well top 4000ft a couple of times. One pass outside Madrid is 1300 mtr high.

If you are considering going to Bilbao and then turning South it is if I remember correctly a toll motorway. The Santander/ Madrid route is largely toll free.

We usually pick a boat to arrive a bit earlier than you are and we would take 3-4 leisurely days driving to reach Altea. I would definitely recommend you stop off in a couple of inland Spanish towns.

Aranquez used to be the town where the Spanish royal family lived and is a lovely place, Huge royal gardens and is a typically Spanish town. I doubt you will hear any English spoken in the town. You will around the site.

Another place we always try to visit and would suit your route is Albarracin. Its a mountain town with a couple of castles and jammed in a valley and is very pretty.
The site here has been receiving a make over last time we stayed and is ok. The pitches were a bit muddy when we were there but hopefully this has been fixed during the makeover.
http://www.campingalbarracin.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albarracín

If for any reason the boat is late then look to stay in the aire in Cabarceno. It's free. Its just a car park with facilities really and on a Saturday will be busy. The village is only 5 minutes walk away. A view of the elephants is only a couple of minutes walk away.
https://parquedecabarceno.com/inicio

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Perfect for you Aranda de Deuro Aire, was there in December free, nice town/Aire grey/black waste etc. Easy off auto route 170ml from Santander
cc49339
N41.67002 W3.69226

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
Today 4th April.
Arrived in bilbao 12.45, finally got on the road at13.30 with full tank. Heading for Madrid. Arrived at aire (currently free) in pinto just south of Madrid off the A4. Arrived 19.00 (no stops). Only one toll, €10.00. all others free.
N 40" 14' 19.6
W 003" 41' 27.1
Stayed here many times quite safe .
Fuel €1.14/ ltr. Adjacent, also large shopping mall adjacent.
Frank

OP
OP
kelv

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Perfect for you Aranda de Deuro Aire, was there in December free, nice town/Aire grey/black waste etc. Easy off auto route 170ml from Santander
cc49339
N41.67002 W3.69226
Thanks I will have a look

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Sobradiel aire just before you reach Zaragoza is fine for an overnight stop. Easy run to Beni the next day. Lots of us have stayed there safely. They're not like French motorway aires.

OP
OP
kelv

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Sobradiel aire just before you reach Zaragoza is fine for an overnight stop. Easy run to Beni the next day. Lots of us have stayed there safely. They're not like French motorway aires.
Looked at this one on google maps is there a motorhome area or is it just a car park

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Looked at this one on google maps is there a motorhome area or is it just a car park
It's a service station so there isn't a specific area but we parked with the lorries near the main entrance to the restaurant. There wasn't any fuel on our way down in October last year . We didn't stay the night , just swapped drivers, couldn't really tell if it was temporary or permanent.
There was definitely fuel available the other side coming back end Nov.

Aug 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1986
We don't like parking at service stations. There are loads of safe aires that you could stop at depending on how your timing ends up. Tafalla, Tudela, or best of all Carinena which is a fantastic wine town where you should stock up. All the Aires are free and have full facilities

OP
OP
kelv

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Sobradiel Is fine and safe
Thanks I think Sobradiel as yourself and others have said is perfect for our stopover.
we will give it a go and keep the other locations suggested as back ups.
The amount of informative information given has been great motorhome fun is the best.
Thanks to every one I can now plan my route and stopovers.

OP
OP
kelv

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Leaving next Friday can anyone give me coordinates for the stopover service station at Sobradiel

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Don't book a site in Benidorm there are plenty of spaces this time of year, we're on Torreta and it's not even half full down the bottom. If you don't like it then you don't have to stay.

The best sites that are walkable to town are
La Torreta
El Raco
Villasol

Villasol is close to town but is on a back road that some don't like walking along at night.

OP
OP
kelv

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Don't book a site in Benidorm there are plenty of spaces this time of year, we're on Torreta and it's not even half full down the bottom. If you don't like it then you don't have to stay.

The best sites that are walkable to town are
La Torreta
El Raco
Villasol

Villasol is close to town but is on a back road that some don't like walking along at night.
High thanks for the info already booked on villasol was not sure how busy the sites would be

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
High thanks for the info already booked on villasol was not sure how busy the sites would be
They only get full over the winter. God knows why but it suits us :cool: nice pool at Villasol with grass round it. You'll love it, enjoy (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back