SPAIN IN FEBRUARY (1 Viewer)

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
We have never been to Spain in our van, years ago near Salamanca in a house, which we loved also the are, but can someone help me with where to go with a van inland, we like lakes, rivers but not the sea. We have a dog which loves to swim. Not big sites, smaller the better or can you just park up, find aires easily, hope someone has some ideas, would be travelling through France using the tunnel.

Deleted User
We have never been to Spain in our van, years ago near Salamanca in a house, which we loved also the are, but can someone help me with where to go with a van inland, we like lakes, rivers but not the sea. We have a dog which loves to swim. Not big sites, smaller the better or can you just park up, find aires easily, hope someone has some ideas, would be travelling through France using the tunnel.
Inland Spain is mostly on a high plain, the Meseta, or mountains and is very cold in winter.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Camping International Las Palmeres, at Crevillent, is one of our favourite winter stopover sites - inland and about 24 miles south-west of Alicante. It's an ACSI discount site too. Located close to town - very short walk - and in a relatively commercial zone. However, accessing the camping area is like entering a lush sub-tropical garden. Palm and other evergreen trees abound. It is well set out and maintained to a high standard. The site is owned by the adjacent hotel, and the facilities are spotlessly clean. There is a large attractive hotel pool freely available to campers (but may not be heated in February?).

Pics taken 6 February 2019

IMG_20190206_135048093_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190206_135221547-1.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Thanks for pictures, it looks a nice site, we would really like to Spain in the van, what’s the best route to that site and what sort of stops along the way, we have a IH van, so don’t need large spaces.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I'll do some notes a bit later - just watching Million Pound Motorhomes, on Channel 5. ;) :giggle:

------------------------------------------------------------

Right, tinkerbell if you are planning to use the tunnel, personally I'd make my way down to the south of France using the autoroute most of the way - especially in February, because of the weather (the toll roads are of course optional).

On reaching the Med turn right and track down the coast to the Spanish border on the A9 autoroute - then continue on the coastal motorway / autovia AP7 / A7 / E15 to just beyond Alicante and look out for signs to Crevillent. The campsite is no more than 3 miles off the motorway, so pretty straightforward. And a good location from which to explore further afield.

Route: https://tinyurl.com/3js4rc4h

In terms of places to stay en route, we mostly used the ACSI discount sites along the way, but we travelled down in September / October - a lot of French campsites will be closed in February. Aires are a handy alternative, although I understand some have the water turned off in winter to avoid freezing, so something to be aware of.

We've also travelled there using Brittany Ferries from the UK to Santander and Bilbao in northern Spain - which obviously entails a lot less driving, but the sea crossing is quite expensive.

We found Camping Las Palmeras by accident. We were keeping the van garaged indoors at Alicante airport for the whole winter and commuting backwards and forwards from home on the plane. The airport was a 30-minute run from the campsite.

The hotel bar and restaurant are very popular with the locals. And there's a reasonably big supermarket a hundred or so yards from the entrance. Also a Lidl, the other side of the town centre.

Good luck with your plans!

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Thanks for pictures, it looks a nice site, we would really like to Spain in the van, what’s the best route to that site and what sort of stops along the way, we have a IH van, so don’t need large spaces.
Avoid central Spain in the Winter, cold and snowy. We tend to go through the tunnel, get through France quickly ( also cold) and either go Burgos, Salamanca Caceres headed for south or go Toulouse etc to go for med Coast but you need to keep an eye on the snow forecasts regarding your route. I'm reluctant to go A75 in France in winter as its too high for time of year.

Deleted User
Camping International Las Palmeres, at Crevillent, is one of our favourite winter stopover sites - inland and about 24 miles south-west of Alicante. It's an ACSI discount site too. Located close to town - very short walk - and in a relatively commercial zone. However, accessing the camping area is like entering a lush sub-tropical garden. Palm and other evergreen trees abound. It is well set out and maintained to a high standard. The site is owned by the adjacent hotel, and the facilities are spotlessly clean. There is a large attractive hotel pool freely available to campers (but may not be heated in February?).

Pics taken 6 February 2019

View attachment 538884

View attachment 538885
I would hardly call Crevillente inland, certainly in the context of Spain, only 15 miles from the coast.

It is a very useful stopover site we used it a few times en route to Los Escullos in Almeria

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I would hardly call Crevillente inland, certainly in the context of Spain, only 15 miles from the coast.

It is a very useful stopover site we used it a few times en route to Los Escullos in Almeria
I think it can just about meet the definition of 'inland' - the whole point is that it benefits from the winter warmth without being at the seaside, whereas, as others on the thread have pointed out (yourself included) - the middle of Spain can be VERY cold. ;)

As it happens, Crevillent acts as something of a staging post for us also - as we travel regularly to Almeria. One of our favourite haunts is Camping Cuevas Mar, at Palomares near Garrucha - it has a naturist section which we use. :giggle:

But we've stayed at Los Escullos too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Thankyou mikebeaches for all the information and route, will have to give it a lot of thought I think before going in February, may have to leave it a month or so before thinking of going, only thought February as it’s our anniversary then. Will catch up on million pound motor homes now. Thanks everyone

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
tinkerbell some of the members who post regularly on here will be able to give more detail but what we think is a lovely inland site is Camping Sierra Espuna at El Berro in Murcia (ACSI). It is in the regional park of Sierra de Espuna and the park is beautiful for walking, we particularly like it in February when it is very quiet. There is water there but not sure how close to the village. It is a very small village with at least 1 small shop, a restaurant or 2 and a school. A bit narrow roads for a big van but we got our 8m van there by researching the route via the church to enter the village at the back of the site & google street view. Alhama de Murcia is closest place for supermarket etc & historical. If your happy to drive out in your van there are lots of places to visit within the area. Ironically we could not make it here in the one days drive from Zaragoza and stopped off at Crevillente , which we enjoyed too. We once lived on the coast here so spent a bit of time inland on days out and it is a lovely province to visit.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
tinkerbell Here are some of my notes from 2015 about winter sites open taken from another forum but you’d have to check them now. We’ve used all before except for the two near Chartres. Regards Roy

France winter sites
It's that time of year again when members begin asking about sites open across France en route to Spain. The Sites Open All Year Thread is looking a bit cluttered. So I thought I'd re-post this commonly followed route. [But please check for yourself that these sites will be open this coming winter]:

Near Dreux / Chartres: 2: Camping Monaco Parc at Longny au Perche; Camping Au Perche, Fontaine-Simone.

[Possibly another: the Municipal site at St-Maurice-lès-Charencey]

Tours [outskirts]: Les Acacias

Poitiers [outskirts]; Le Futuriste

Bordeaux: 2: Beausoleil; Village du Lac

Urrugne: Larrouleta.

Most of these accept either Camping Cheques or the ACSI discount card - or have done every year that we have travelled that way.

Once in Spain there are plenty to chose from. Heading east we use:

Zaragoza: Municipal. And arrive on the Mediterranean coast the next day. Plenty open once you get there.

Heading south there are sites at Burgos, Haro and around Madrid.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Inland Spain....wonderful, we are currently near to Teruel it's 5°c heating is on, Back home in Murcia it's most likely 27°c today...but that's our winter base....inland Spain takes some beating...if you know where to go...

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Thankyou mikebeaches for all the information and route, will have to give it a lot of thought I think before going in February, may have to leave it a month or so before thinking of going, only thought February as it’s our anniversary then. Will catch up on million pound motor homes now. Thanks everyone
We've got a handy guidebook from the Camping and Caravanning Club titled 'Winter Sun Camping' 2019/20

It lists suggested stopover campsites in France and Spain. I'm not sure if they've published a new 2021/22 edition - I suspect not?

But here's a link that's currently on their website listing sites which might aid your planning:

Although it cost £10 (refunded if you book through the Club, which we didn't), I thought it contained a lot of useful information, some of which I wouldn't easily have gleaned from the internet and - dare I say it - perhaps not even from the cornucopia of knowledge within the fabulous Funster community... ;) :LOL:

Hope I don't get banned or put in the naughty corner for saying that. :giggle:

PXL_20210920_104602898~2.jpg

Last edited:

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Be aware that February is the time for processionary catapillers in pine forests in Spain. Near the cost they tend to spray for them, but in the National parks they tend not to. They can give dogs a very bad reaction, & some have died! My husband got just one down his shirt whilst biking, & got a very painful rash! We love the inland national parks, but avoid them at this time because we have a Springer spaniel who loves to run free!

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
For me January and February are the must avoid UK months cold short depressive days. Don’t discount staying away or traveling in these months, the Spanish are seriously geared up in keeping the roads clear and you are only going to take two days max to pass through anywhere that’s likely to have snow.
Watch the forecasts and pick the days best to travel, there’s no need to book the Tunnel/ Ferry you can go the same day at that time of year.

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Thanks Stonemags76, that has now put us off in forests of Spain, we have a Vizler who runs everywhere, I wouldn't want her poorly, she'd probably try and eat them, noooooo. May now leave till later when we can go to France next year and take in some of Spain at the same time.

Thanks everyone for all your advice, pics, maps etc.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Just to say February, March & April tend to be the worst months - don’t let it put you off for ever!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Avoid central Spain in the Winter, cold and snowy. We tend to go through the tunnel, get through France quickly ( also cold) and either go Burgos, Salamanca Caceres headed for south or go Toulouse etc to go for med Coast but you need to keep an eye on the snow forecasts regarding your route. I'm reluctant to go A75 in France in winter as its too high for time of year.
Always kept clear though.Drove up one January,, minus 24 degs and sleeting..Snow further on but they must have put plenty of salt down because it hardly settled.BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back