Spain for winter (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Hi all I normally go to Spain for a couple of months in October when a lot of the good sites are getting very full with vans for the winter. Do you think it will be the same this year?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have been going last eight years from Nov till late April, we are waiting till the last minute and then assess the risks if to great we will give it a miss this year. šŸ˜Š

Deleted User
Keeping an eye on things. We'd be at greatest risk while out shopping but don't stay long on campsites or use their facilities when we do. Laundries may also be risky.

In a Pickle

Free Member
Oct 9, 2019
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxlife LHD
Exp
Since 2001
I think things may change again in the coming weeks, our figures in Spain are increasing dramatically with over 16,000 new cases confirmed over this last weekend. I think all decisions made about travel will have to be left until the last minute and all the risks assessed including a plan to return to your home country should the situation arise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I think things may change again in the coming weeks, our figures in Spain are increasing dramatically with over 16,000 new cases confirmed over this last weekend. I think all decisions made about travel will have to be left until the last minute and all the risks assessed including a plan to return to your home country should the situation arise.
Agree with this. If it did develop in the last lock down some camp sites were closed and therefore their facilities and travel restrictions. You need to be aware of your own travel insurance implications (EU Health Card scheme stops 31st December) and coming back Q14.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Having happily spent 70 years wintering in U.K. I honestly can't understand the urge to winter in Spain where many sites seem to be just barren brown parking places. I enjoy the green (yes, often wet and cold) U.K. winters, crispy Downland walks, tingling fingers and toes, log fires and roast dinners.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Having happily spent 70 years wintering in U.K. I honestly can't understand the urge to winter in Spain where many sites seem to be just barren brown parking places. I enjoy the green (yes, often wet and cold) U.K. winters, crispy Downland walks, tingling fingers and toes, log fires and roast dinners.
If people want cold evenings and tingly fingers they can get that in the UK in summer. Winter weather is nice in Spain, that added with the laid back nature of the country makes it a cracking destination for the winter months.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We are on our 19 night tour of the UK, we leave on Tuesday, it's been great catching up with family and friends, but coming from Spain we are finding it a bit stressful just walking around towns, not that many people wearing masks or social distancing. šŸ˜²
Most of our parking has been friends drives / gardens, the Cl / Cs sites we have used have been very good, the first one took your temperature, but no sanitiser, the next was very hot on sanitiser and cleaning, then tomorrow we move onto one for 3 nights, but how ever safe they make it we don't drop our guard. šŸ¤”
But to be honest we can't wait to get home, waking up to blue sky morning walk and swim and moaning about it being too hot. šŸ˜
We have the awning out again today šŸ˜‰ so we can have the door open in the rain. šŸ˜ Bob.
20200819_104950.jpg

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
If people want cold evenings and tingly fingers they can get that in the UK in summer. Winter weather is nice in Spain, that added with the laid back nature of the country makes it a cracking destination for the winter months.
Absolutely, l always say in Spain we enjoy two Springs and one Summer and South of Estepona it is Green.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As someone who suffers badly with the cold (I love snow though!) its getting difficult for me to 'function' in the UK in winter which is why we've been to Spain over winter a couple of times now and loved every minute of it ... being able to sit out without freezing, having a swim at times, paddling with the dogs nearly every day, taking my kayak out ... it is just so 'comfortable' and relaxing and much better than being cooped up a home for weeks on end due to the weather. One thing we don't do though is use sites and stay in the same place for more than a few days ... that would drive us nuts! šŸ¤Ŗ

Deleted User
We are on our 19 night tour of the UK, we leave on Tuesday, it's been great catching up with family and friends, but coming from Spain we are finding it a bit stressful just walking around towns, not that many people wearing masks or social distancing. šŸ˜²
Most of our parking has been friends drives / gardens, the Cl / Cs sites we have used have been very good, the first one took your temperature, but no sanitiser, the next was very hot on sanitiser and cleaning, then tomorrow we move onto one for 3 nights, but how ever safe they make it we don't drop our guard. šŸ¤”
But to be honest we can't wait to get home, waking up to blue sky morning walk and swim and moaning about it being too hot. šŸ˜
We have the awning out again today šŸ˜‰ so we can have the door open in the rain. šŸ˜ Bob.
View attachment 417003
How does that work with 14 days quarantine?

Deleted User
We was in France before quarantine, still filled in the forms but no one asked if we had or to see them. šŸ™‚ Bob.

We did similar, 3 weeks in France, returned to UK end of July and returned to France last week just before the UK imposed the quarantine on returnees from France. Back to Portugal middle of September and sit things out there for the foreseeable!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
There are still plenty of people travelling abroad, Janie's brother lives near stansted airport, we will be going back that way tomorrow we can't believe the amount of Ryan Air and Easyjet flights they start at 05.30 and finish at midnight, we decided very early on to just keep our regular customers happy that rent our apartment and not take new bookings, and even though we have closed all bookings every day we have enquiries. šŸ™„
You feel bad turning people down, but we have to be somewhere and home is our favourite, šŸ˜‰ especially when it gets a bit quieter. šŸ˜ Bob.

JJ

MƔgica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

I am surprised you know what it is like wintering in Spain seeing as you tell us you have never done it! :rofl:

JJ :cool:

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I am surprised you know what it is like wintering in Spain seeing as you tell us you have never done it! :rofl:

JJ :cool:
No need to, having seen hundred of pics on here. ;)
It obviously suits many but it just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
The Costas are perhaps 0.5% of Spain, leaving 99.5% to explore for those who can see past the end of their nose.šŸ¤­šŸ¤­
Probably, but my impression is that many/most set themselves up in one place for the duration. I've a pointed bum so wouldn't do that.
I've toured Northern and mid/central Spain very many times during May to Sept for several weeks at time by motorbike and it all seemed rather barren to me but great biking roads. I also thoroughly dislike ugly dusty coniferous trees of which there seemed to be so many.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
This morning I had a chat with an ex colleague who now manages part of a large campsite near Cambrils south of Barcelona. The site is usually full in peak season, but it's not this year, he tells me people wear masks when on the street or shopping, however once on his campsite they are not required. The site owners are perhaps understandably really pi**ed off with the Britainā€™s decision to make folk quarantine on their return from Spain, which has resulted in a lot more cancellations. So I guess winter availability will be better than normal this year.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Good job we are all different,,BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Probably, but my impression is that many/most set themselves up in one place for the duration. I've a pointed bum so wouldn't do that.
I've toured Northern and mid/central Spain very many times during May to Sept for several weeks at time by motorbike and it all seemed rather barren to me but great biking roads. I also thoroughly dislike ugly dusty coniferous trees of which there seemed to be so many.
Try inland Andalucia,,stunning green scenery with loads of old white villages and history,,BUSBY.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
But and a big but (so to speak) The Plain in Spain is over 6,000 feet so expect very wintery conditions lots of snow and ice and northern Spain is known as the Costa Verde ( green coast) because of the rain! You wont go far wrong south of Denia but nothing is perfect ! You might have to put on a rain coat or a hoodie sometimes as it might get below 15 C and when it does its better than GB for snow panic!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back