Spain, Desperate to get us back ! (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I can't see that foreign second home owners have been treated any differently to spanish second/third/fourth home owners who also haven't been allowed any access ,unless it was actually in there province /region?

UK citizens / residents were allowed in up until 22nd December.
If in a motorhome/vehicle any time afterwards as well because regional border closures could not be legally enforced by regional governments on foreigners as they do not have the authority .Only central government does . Germans I know came down through France via La Jonquera whilst all the catalan , Valencian, Murcian borders were closed to locals without being stopped by anyone & overnighted in various places whilst doing it? Plenty have arrived by boat having managed to leave Uk without being stopped.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
UK citizens / residents were allowed in up until 22nd December.
You haven't missed much.....not been a great winter, lots of restrictions for citizens and residents.....only last week we have been allowed out of regions....some folk near where we live lost jobs, being supported by neighbours...might get back to New Normal in time.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
So Covid restrictions get lifted (hopefully soon). Anyone visiting Schengen will probably need a tourist visa, which is probably going to be easier than getting one for the US. What are people hoping will change after that?
What's a tourist visa....the WA agreed Brits could come to Schengen without applying for a visa...that's what 90/180 is....visa free travel with agreed time restrictions....

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've got them in person,going arond with estate agents?? My mate said yesterday that when we saw it a few days ago , it was something we had not seen since the crisis started in latter part of 2008??

Have you got a sign up?? Or are you staying put now?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Perhaps the point is she wasn't attempting to enter the UK illegally, she had an offer of employment. Citizens of EU countries are allowed to enter the UK not only if they have a job offer but also to look for work prior to applying for a visa.

Would raise suspicion the employer being her cousin,😁😉BUSBY.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
There's nothing to stop people buying a house is there? As in "holiday home". The problems start when they want to ignore the 90/180 rule?
The simple fact is that the purchase of a holiday home is for holidays in the short term with a view to retirement long term in order to avoid the winter in the UK, you cannot avoid the winter with the 90/180 rule if it had been 180/365 all might have been well.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
The simple fact is that the purchase of a holiday home is for holidays in the short term with a view to retirement long term in order to avoid the winter in the UK, you cannot avoid the winter with the 90/180 rule if it had been 180/365 all might have been well.
Should have ended this with. This removes the incentive to invest in overseas property.
Who would seriously accept the current situation in making a purchase from £50k to £5million and having no control as to when you can stay or visit.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Should have ended this with. This removes the incentive to invest in overseas property.
Who would seriously accept the current situation in making a purchase from £50k to £5million and having no control as to when you can stay or visit.
If you have £5M to spend, getting residency would be simples, the rich are not affected it’s just the average Jo and Joe who are.

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
As stated by gus-lopez people are still investing….plus they do have control - anytime within the 90/180 ruling or become residents

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Have you got a sign up?? Or are you staying put now?
Us? No ours isn't up for sale anymore although we have someone local who wants to buy it at the moment but we're undecided about selling .

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
A 500,000 spend on a property secures residency
And an independent income to support themselves. I have no issue with this but again for the masses moving to Spain is no longer possible only for those who have the financial means of a certain level.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
And an independent income to support themselves. I have no issue with this but again for the masses moving to Spain is no longer possible only for those who have the financial means of a certain level.
Spliting hair's but if you don't have the financial means why would you be moving anyway :unsure:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Spliting hair's but if you don't have the financial means why would you be moving anyway :unsure:
Because pre the EU split anyone could travel live and build a life in Spain, some have. Now it’s only easy for those with means. For our youngsters to live and work overseas has been made much harder.

What about the youngsters who could spend more than 90 days working in Ibiza or ski resorts? Whilst it is not impossible it is much harder for them to do so. If your family has means it’s much easier to do so.

The haves and the have nots gap just got a little wider. Whilst I have the means to live abroad I do feel for those who will find it far more difficult or impossible to do so.

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
Fears loom in Spanish tourism industry as restrictions in Britain, Germany threaten summer rebound -
https://english.elpais.com/economy_...-britain-germany-threaten-summer-rebound.html
An interesting read, but, is a 3 billion euro loss ‘catastrophic’ against Spain’s typical 1244 billion GDP - less than 1%.

Without a doubt, very painful for some working class people and their family - and tourism as a trade, from hotel owners to cleaners, will unfortunately suffer.

However, against the wider Spainish recovery, in conjunction with the pain of seeing rival countries, such as the Portuguese get that footfall and spend, the British / German spend will be missed but I’d challenge ‘catastrophic’.

The Swedes’, Finn’s, Danish and Vikings in general, coupled with many Belgium and French will keep things afloat - they seem to be spending well in our area of Alicante.

Plus other industry sectors are also likely to recover and lift the heavy weight of Spain’s recovery.

The Brit’s will be missed and welcomed back (not so sure by the Guardia/ local policia ) but I still scratch my head on why the over egging on how important the British spend is compared to other tourists.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Do you think that Spain might apply to leave the EU over this?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
An interesting read, but, is a 3 billion euro loss ‘catastrophic’ against Spain’s typical 1244 billion GDP - less than 1%.

Without a doubt, very painful for some working class people and their family - and tourism as a trade, from hotel owners to cleaners, will unfortunately suffer.

However, against the wider Spainish recovery, in conjunction with the pain of seeing rival countries, such as the Portuguese get that footfall and spend, the British / German spend will be missed but I’d challenge ‘catastrophic’.

The Swedes’, Finn’s, Danish and Vikings in general, coupled with many Belgium and French will keep things afloat - they seem to be spending well in our area of Alicante.

Plus other industry sectors are also likely to recover and lift the heavy weight of Spain’s recovery.

The Brit’s will be missed and welcomed back (not so sure by the Guardia/ local policia ) but I still scratch my head on why the over egging on how important the British spend is compared to other tourists.
spot on (y)

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

(not so sure by the Guardia/ local policia )

Why do you say that ?

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
(not so sure by the Guardia/ local policia )

Why do you say that ?
An off the cuff personal comment / observation driven by no sound data only by general media coverage of poorly behaved Brits in areas such as Benidorm ( where copious amounts of well behaved Brits also holiday).

The press seem to latch onto - as recent pre lockdown coverage of Brits in pools abusing COVID rules and running groups of Brits telling the Guardia that they have COVID and will do what they like.

Byass reporting? other nations have just as bad thugs?

Either way the local, Guardia and national police - as in other countries- have better things to do than manage mushroom drunk persons being a law unto themselves.

We were all young once and not all of us were angels, I guess 👍🏽

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
An off the cuff personal comment / observation driven by no sound data only by general media coverage of poorly behaved Brits in areas such as Benidorm ( where copious amounts of well behaved Brits also holiday).

The press seem to latch onto - as recent pre lockdown coverage of Brits in pools abusing COVID rules and running groups of Brits telling the Guardia that they have COVID and will do what they like.

Byass reporting? other nations have just as bad thugs?

Either way the local, Guardia and national police - as in other countries- have better things to do than manage mushroom drunk persons being a law unto themselves.

We were all young once and not all of us were angels, I guess 👍🏽
So without any personal experience you as a Brit are happy to run down your own countrymen/women - Why?

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
As stated in my ‘run down’, there are copious amounts of Brits who are well behaved and are other nations as bad?

But to counter your post, and in the spirit of rule one to not personalise, the press does like to latch on to highlighting poor Brit behaviour - as stated.

How true it is remains to be quantified…

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back