Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
Reading some of the reports on here, and having spent the last couple of winters on the Costa Blanca in a villa. Noticable in almost the whole of Spain is the shuttered barred, locked and gated properties.
As we are traveling down and staying in the motorhome this time we called in a sports shop in Limoges this afternoon and bought a can of CS gas.
Now I fully expect the only gas we will have to use down there is propane but, the old saying, if you haven't got something you will need it. similarly, if you have, you won't hopefully will apply. Hope to see some of you on our travels and, if we don't get another chance, a merry Christmas to one and all! :roflmto:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Crime rate UK seems to be 67 per 1000 of population, Spain is about 59. So you get CS gas for Spain, what do you get for the UK, a machine gun? :Eeek:

My figures ( like all figures may be wrong or read differently) but people keep harping on about Spain as if it was Afghanistan, just how many stories are on the forum, or indeed in the nation press about UK people being subject to more crime in Spain than the UK.

I spend most of my time in Spain, and have done for many years, and it is as safe here as it is in the UK (IMO) unless of course you do something stupid, but that could be said of many countries.......including the UK.

I just wouldn't let the Spanish police find out that you have CS gas.

::bigsmile:

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
First let me say that purchase of CS gas to "protect" yourself in Spain is frankly, ludicrous as well as highly illegal. You best hope that the product is not discovered by any branch of the police in Spain or your stay may be longer than you anticipated.

I have read many ridiculous posts in this place, have written some of them, but this one leaves me speechless,....... well almost, for me, this is speechless.

Have never visited the Belly Locker but hopefully this post will be consigned there in short order.

Bryan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Volusia

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Crime rate where we are is non existsnt. The last person arrested was in 1967 for drunkenly knocking over a waste paper bin. It's reading the reports on here which has brought us to this conclusion. Would not really have considered it, even after noticing all the locks everywhere other than all the cautionary posts when going through the forum. It's not a personal attack on your favourite holiday place, We enjoy it too but, better safe than sorry after reading some of the problems posted by members on here!

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
[HI]What counts as a firearm[/HI]
Firearms are lethal barrelled weapons but also include other weapons listed below. The import of firearms into the UK is controlled and illegal imports will be seized by UKBA officers. These include:

rifles
shotguns
handguns
automatic and semi-automatic firearms
[HI]CS gas canisters, pepper sprays and other self-defence sprays[/HI]
high-voltage electric stun guns
high-powered air rifles and pistols
All legitimate users of firearms must apply for the relevant import licence or certificate from the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS), their regional police authority or the Home Office for handguns/pistols/revolvers and automatic/semi-automatic firearms.

The same law applies here in Spain and you will go to jail including anyone with you in the vehicle.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Crime rate where we are is non existsnt. The last person arrested was in 1967 for drunkenly knocking over a waste paper bin. It's reading the reports on here which has brought us to this conclusion. Would not really have considered it, even after noticing all the locks everywhere other than all the cautionary posts when going through the forum. It's not a personal attack on your favourite holiday place, We enjoy it too but, better safe than sorry after reading some of the problems posted by members on here!

You still haven't got the message have you, take it back and get a refund.
We will be doing the trip from Calais to La Manga starting on Boxing Day and is a trip we have done many times with no problem.

Mike

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995

What posts? I haven't seen them!

Spain, what would I know, I have a house, and have lived here on and off for 10 years. I have never seen a drunk Spanish person.

I repeat I don't know the place you got your information from, but its shite!

And it is not my favourite holiday place, I live here.::bigsmile:

Please don't let the Spanish police catch you with CS gas because, safe rather than sorry will NOT cut the mustard with them!

Better still stay in France, then you will feel at peace. :Doh:

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The stupidity of some people beggars belief. Just pause to consider what might happen if you were ever to use the gas. You are not, I imagine, trained in its use, you may exacerbate the situation, you may fire it at an innocent party, and you will most certainly be arrested and consigned to gaol for using a dangerous weapon. Get rid.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
"All the locks"? Do you mean the bars on windows? These are a traditional feature of houses in parts of Spain to allow windows to be left open in hot weather and not because there are more burglars here than anywhere else.

As for CS spray I agree get rid.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Volusia, have you considered that you picture/aviator displays your registration number :Eeek:

Anyone reading your post about [HI]you buying a firearm[/HI] could report you...........

Be a good chap and get ride of it for Gods sake.

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Reading some of the reports on here, and having spent the last couple of winters on the Costa Blanca in a villa. Noticable in almost the whole of Spain is the shuttered barred, locked and gated properties.
As we are traveling down and staying in the motorhome this time we called in a sports shop in Limoges this afternoon and bought a can of CS gas.
Now I fully expect the only gas we will have to use down there is propane but, the old saying, if you haven't got something you will need it. similarly, if you have, you won't hopefully will apply. Hope to see some of you on our travels and, if we don't get another chance, a merry Christmas to one and all! :roflmto:

I put a like on this post as I thought you were having a laugh. Having read some of the ongoing responses I am now not sure. Can just anyone really walk into a store in France and buy genuine CS gas over the counter :Eeek: or is it some of the tear gas type of spray sold in several places as an anti-rape device?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Great idea. CS disposed of. Will have to carry a bat! Hope The local vicar can spare one from the belfry! ;0)

Don't forget that if you carry a bat you should also carry a ball to go with it, otherwise you could still end in in jail.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Have taken a pill, used my inhaler and taken a walk round the garden and feeling quite calm again.:Sad:

Like other respondents to this post we have lived in the south of Spain, in our case, for 10 years and in that time we have never, never seen any violence, unruly conduct, drunkenness or any anti social behaviour of any kind. Perhaps things are different here on the Costa del Sol than on the Costas Blanca/Brava, but, although having written the words, I know that is not the case.

We have been members of this forum for only three years and I am a daily visitor, God, I need to get out more often. Apart from the odd "nutter " who knew somebody who had a friend whose uncle knew another person who was "gassed "........ I have never read any of the accounts you allege.

I have read the OP a number of times and must assume bad experience in the past, or it is intended to be humorous but I cannot understand, given the comments made,....... why would the originator even want to come here, if the post is for real?

Take the earlier excellent advice........ get rid off it.

Bryan

Last edited:
OP
OP
Volusia

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I put a like on this post as I thought you were having a laugh. Having read some of the ongoing responses I am now not sure. Can just anyone really walk into a store in France and buy genuine CS gas over the counter :Eeek: or is it some of the tear gas type of spray sold in several places as an anti-rape device?

Yes Don! CS, Pepper sprays, Tazers, are all readily available, as are firearms of all descriptions. Firearms are subject to some safeguards as you need to be a member of a gun club in order to purchase ammunition. But personal protection, as described, is legal to buy. Strange really, as crime in this neck of the woods is virtually non existent.

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Yes Don! CS, Pepper sprays, Tazers, are all readily available, as are firearms of all descriptions. Firearms are subject to some safeguards as you need to be a member of a gun club in order to purchase ammunition. But personal protection, as described, is legal to buy. Strange really, as the crime in this neck of the woods is virtually non existent.

Mate I do not want to sound rude, BUT YOUR NOT IN FRANCE................... you stated your heading for Spain. I could not give a toss what they do in France, you WILL go to jail here in Spain simples. I will leave at that as it's glass of wine time....

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Great idea. CS disposed of. Will have to carry a bat! Hope The local vicar can spare one from the belfry! ;0)

Hair spray will do the same job and its legal.(no defence if you are bald) BUSBY:roflmto:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
A condom with a few pebbles in....

Swing it round your head and you can floor a robber/burgler/mugger from about twenty/thirty foot... :whatthe:

They don't half stretch and there legal in most country`s... :thumb:

:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Volusia

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Mate I do not want to sound rude, BUT YOUR NOT IN FRANCE................... you stated your heading for Spain. I could not give a toss what they do in France, you WILL go to jail here in Spain simples. I will leave at that as it's glass of wine time....

Ditto.....

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Swing it round your head and you can floor a robber/burgler/mugger from about twenty/thirty foot... :whatthe:

Wot if you are Catholic ::bigsmile:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years

I thought I would try this out for myself.
I put 6 pebbles into the condom.....then slowly eased it on .
True it would make a good weapon..but sadly my todger is not long enough even when stretched to allow me to "swing it round my head"
Back to the baseball bat ?

barry:Smile:

:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:[/QUOTE]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back