Southern Ireland 2015 with Toad (1 Viewer)

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Hi
We are planning our 4 week holiday to Ireland this year instead of France. We will want to tow the car as I expect that they do not have the motorhome facilities of France.
When I look at booking the ferries ask for trailer dimensions.
would it be prudent to phone them and check their policy re towing a car?
Any experiences of Ireland and motorhomes would be great.
thanks
Don

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Went to Ireland several years ago and had a great time. We sailed from Holyhead to Dublin as I wanted a quick option as I am a crap sailor. Had a great time touring and stayed on 2/3 great sites, usually with sea views. Did camp wild on a couple of occasions but had problems with boy racers on one stop when parked in a lovely harbour (can't remember where!). Not sure about the toad as we had small vans and wasn't an issue. People are fantastic and I hope you have as good a time as we did.

OP
OP
donnkim

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Thanks Carol,
My Mum's family are from Galway so we used to have wonderful holidays when we were young.
Now ready to take my wife and motorhome which is a 23 foot Hymer - hence the toad.
Think I'll drop the ferries an email.
Don

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
A toad will be no problem here, a few locals use them.
However, maybe you don't need to bring yours as there are quite a few official French style Aires now in Ireland with more on the way.
Big town and city councils are still largely unsympathetic to the needs of those who tour in motorhomes but many of the more interesting smaller towns and villages are beginning to recognise the benefits which we can bring to their local economies.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think you'll be in for a shock when you check out the cost of the ferries! It's bad enough for a MH never mind a trailer too! Personally unless there is a REAL need to take the toad I really wouldn't bother and instead tour around with your MH looking at stuff as you go, we were there a couple of years ago for 5 weeks and wild camped for the whole time without a problem as there are some wonderful out of the way places and the locals will tell you where there are suitable spots if you ask. Water can be got from various sources and grey and toilet waste water again can be disposed of fairly easily. I would suggest you join the Irish version of English Heritage (can't remember it's name at the moment!) as it is cheap and gets you into a lot of great places and they will often let you top up your water and do your toilet waste too, as will other tourist attractions.

OP
OP
donnkim

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Thanks Jun Luc and Minx.
I was going to ask about Wild camping as we hope to travel through Connemara.
We will stay at the Salt Hill Campsite for a week - to catch up with the family in Galway.
The rest of our holiday we would just tour.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
heres a useful source of info 'MotorhomeCraic' especially for Ireland specific info.
but of course will never replace 'fun'
hth

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back