Southern France campsite suggestions (1 Viewer)

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hello there,

We are about to embark on our year long adventure around Europe. We've finished at work and just have the to pack up ready for tennants now.

Please could anyone recommend some nice but affordable sites on the Atlantic coast or med side of southern France? Basically my parents, sister and 11 yr old nephew will be joining us for the summer holidays so we want somewhere near water for swimming and maybe walking distance of a few facilities.

I have searched but would love some first hand recommendations and experiences.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi!

In Valras plage there are many camp sites all very near from the beach (walking) and not too far from the facilities . Tape" Syndicat d'initiative de Valras plage" on google search. You'll have details.I don't know which ones have hard standing pitches, but if there's a camp site that suits you, considering prices and facilities, let me know i'll give them a ring . If any thing you want me to translate for you, give a shout:shout:!
I won't be far!:winky:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Please could anyone recommend some nice but affordable sites on the Atlantic coast or med side of southern France?

Have you bought the ACSI DVD ?

When you use it you can click on a country and it displays the campsites. Do this on France and the whole country explodes into a mass of overlapping red triangles. You have to zoom a lot to separate them.

Now this is not as good as a recommendation but it does show how many sites you have on offer, plus a load more not in the scheme.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ven

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks very much, I'll have a look at the sites mentioned.

We have got the ACSI book so i'll have a look through that for ideas too. I did not know about the DVD when i ordered the book but I've seen it mentioned a lot since so perhaps I should have got that instead :Sad:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

We have got the ACSI book so i'll have a look through that for ideas too. I did not know about the DVD when i ordered the book but I've seen it mentioned a lot since so perhaps I should have got that instead :Sad:

You need both. The book gets you the discount card ( though not much use in summer ) and the DVD gets you the computer program which makes searching easier. Both are brilliant value.

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Don't know if it is of interest but we stayed at one of the Aires a couple of weeks ago in Mimizan Plage, which is between Bordeaux and Bayonne. Right off the beach and on the edge of local amenities, shops, bars etc.

Quite good services for an Aire but no toilet/showers so would need to use your own.

mimizan-la-plage.jpg

mimizan-la-plage1.jpg

mimizan-la-plage3.jpg

Hope this helps.

Neil

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

Bear in mind most French sites have a short season .. April - Sep ..
Aires are by far the best way to see France, the one at Mimizan Plage mentioned in the previous post is one of our favourites ..we have stay on it many times and for as long as you like ..

€5.50 low €11 high .. 16 EHU, drive over dump point and plenty of fresh taps around the aire.. It was just re surfaced last March and re-lined, but unfortunately the new lines are very close, best avoided Jun to Sep as it gets very busy..

Further down the coast there is a cracking aire at Capbreton.. similar to Mimizan in size and right on the beach but closer to the town with a bustling Marina / harbour and lots typical French cafe's and night life..

I suggest you buy any of the French Aires guides .. also click on the link in my signature for many more we have used .. RV Suitable Sites.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi we stayed at Le Palais de la mer in Sainte-marie de la mer a couple of years ago, smallish family owned site with swimming pool etc. and direct access to the beach, web site here: camping pyrenees orientales CAMPING PALAIS DE LA MER location pyrenees orientales camping

Very friendly owners but little english spoken, they asked a Dutch couple to translate for us so we could join them in a game of bingo. ::bigsmile:

Short walk into the village, numerious restaurants, more beach, and buses to Perpignan ect.

olley

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

ACSI offer a DVD Plus a Couple of rather large site guides (3000+ and 7000+) in book form and a Camping Card, which is a smaller guide book but it contains the camping card and a very helpful folded map which is really useful outside of the main season as it will provide you with a listing of around 1600+ camp sites throughout Europe (18 Countries including France) where you can stay for under 15 euros a night, so its well worth having,

Link Removed

Sorry if you already have the camping card, but I just thought it was worth explaining as a lot of people just buy the ordinary ACSi guide books and then find they can't get the discounts, the correct book has the card as part of one of the inner leaves of the book cover

hope that helps

I find the DVD very helpful in the winter as you can enter the dates between which you want to travel and it will sort out just those campsites that have indicated they will/should be open, you can then ring them to confirm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ven

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for the additional replies, lots to think about!

I do have the ACSI card, look like i'll be ordering the DVD too :Smile:

A small library now exists in the limited storage in our Mondial of Guides including the Aires books - I guess that is the problem - knowing where to start :RollEyes: Plus of course you cannot beat personal recommendations from people who have been there.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
le gurp

On the Atlantic coast is a great municipal site right by the sea with facilities very close by. We go every year and as we were leaving last year they were busy building a borne for the aire in the beachside car park. If you google le gurp then all the information you need is there !! miles and miles of forest cycle tracks and villages nearby. regards Stephen. :thumb:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
On the Atlantic coast is a great municipal site right by the sea with facilities very close by. We go every year and as we were leaving last year they were busy building a borne for the aire in the beachside car park. If you google le gurp then all the information you need is there !! miles and miles of forest cycle tracks and villages nearby. regards Stephen. :thumb:

Just googled it myself !! Better to google le gurp camping then there are reviews of the campsite !!:ROFLMAO: :thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Don't know if it is of interest but we stayed at one of the Aires a couple of weeks ago in Mimizan Plage, which is between Bordeaux and Bayonne. Right off the beach and on the edge of local amenities, shops, bars etc.

Quite good services for an Aire but no toilet/showers so would need to use your own.

mimizan-la-plage.jpg

mimizan-la-plage1.jpg

mimizan-la-plage3.jpg

Hope this helps.

Neil

Neil....Cracking Photos, what camera are you using....Mel

OP
OP
Ven

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks again for all your suggestions.

We will be right in the school holidays, so will have to hope for the best about getting on to those Aires.

Those photos make it look like as beautiful spot.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Mel.
We have been going to the west coast of France for the past few years. Lovely area and great surf, sea and sun (mostly)

We have used Mimizan plage and it is nice, however our favourites are down closer to Vieux Beucout and Soustons. Good aires to use and a fantastic (But very pricey campsite or two) that we use some times.
One word of warning with the aires in this region during holiday periods, Although fingers crossed we have never managed not too get on one, they are normally very busy, so all ways have a back up plan in place.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back