LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
We have just come north through Rouen from Pont de l'arch which was not a problem because they are using the southbound tunnels for northbound traffic the south bound traffic is being diverted off the hghway north of the tunnels and looks like through the city.

The traffic looked horrendous!

Anyone hoping to use thr pont de l'arch route may be in for a hold up.

John

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for the heads up we were heading that way next week but will have to find an alternative.

Do you think it will be ok coming North though in 4 weeks time?? It's a long way round!!!

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Head for Yvetot, that's the way we came home from Le Mans.
What you loose by diverting you'll gain back by not getting stuck in traffic.

Cheers. Nige

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
I don't think that will work for us as we are heading down past Orleans it looks quite a bit of route. I am thinking we will have to cross over on the A150 into Rouen going South then back onto A13 but I am very concerned about the traffic that will all be pushed that way.

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
KonTiki 640 (an old one)!
Exp
Since 2008
We are heading south from near to Abbeville, en route to between Le Mans and Tours this time next week and would normally go via Rouen.......anyone with any alternative routes it would be appreciated thx

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

According to French sites, this state of affairs will last until August 8th.
Translated, this is what it says,
"DIR Northwest continues its work of restoration Tunnel Grand Mare. This operation takes place in two phases. The first phase begins June 23, 2014 in the evening for threeweeks.
During this period, the movement in the direction Rouen-Abbeville be switched to one lane in the opposite direction.
The tunnel in the opposite direction will be closed from 23 June to 8 August 2014.Traffic will be on the right lane of the tunnel down. Traffic north-south direction before the tunnel is carried out on a track.
During this work, a detour is established by the route from junction to junction Chapterof Grieu the RN28 to head south of the tunnel Grand'Mare.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
That's on the the main N28 isn't it? Last year and earlier this year there was a problem with that route because the bridge over the Seine was being repaired after fire damage. Is that still the case?

The southbound diversion route we took because of the bridge was via A29, A151, A150, N1338 over the Seine on the Pont Gustave-Flobert, then N338 to join the A13, Northbound was the same when we came back. Traffic was not too bad on all 4 times we have used it

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
We went south through Rouen on Wednesday and can confirm it's a bloody nightmare, wish we'd known before we'd have looked for a different route. We ended up diverted through some of the narrowest hilliest roads, full of parked cars and traffic, well stressful. Avoid if you can. Last year we had no problems with the bridge closure we sailed through no problems, a bit different this year.

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
I have just checked the traffic reports for the A29 and its showing Amber and Red for the route across the A29 from A28 red in one direction Amber in the other.

Looks like it might be best to avoid this route altogether. When I checked at 9am though the route was all green- so better.

I am worried as we are heading South next Saturday morning! So any ideas on how to get from Boulogne to Orleans without traffic jams and excessive tolls would be appreciated. I don't mind some tolls though!

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
KonTiki 640 (an old one)!
Exp
Since 2008
Sooooo..yesterday we did our journey south and chose to avoid rouen completely. A28 onto A29 to Yvetot then across bridge.....sailed though no problems and decided it was well worth the tolls, especially once we crossed the Seine and stopped for lunch with the most amazing views of both river and bridge !

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
An update on the roads!

We travelled South today from Calais. We left Calais about 8am, we went via Rouen using the A29 and A150. The route was absolutely fine with no hold ups.

Just North of Dreux where there are a number of sets of traffic lights we got held up, probably only by 10 mins but it was slow til we passed the lights. Chartres was fine as well no hold ups at all!

This might of been because everyone was on the A10, which was very busy until the A20 split but by this time it was lunch so most of the French filled the aires whilst we kept going and the roads have been clear since then.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We are planning to take the minimal tolls routes: http://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

We are expecting to arrive in Rouen area around mid-night. It is likely that the traffic will be flowing at that time or will the suggested alternative route on the link above be better?

Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back