south west scotland December 2017 my birthday mini meet (1 Viewer)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry we can't make this David, it looks like a fantastic spot and it would have been nice to catch up. We could have restocked your marmalade supplies whilst also depleting your gin stocks :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David, do you have a contact number for the site,should we ring them to confirm ??
Looking at your pictures I'm assuming the turn off is shortly after the skyeruburn cafe lay by but before the auchenlerigh
Camp site .??
Andy...

Morning Andy

No need to book, in fact it would almost be a nuisance to them it is a very informal site, no signs as such, but a hangman style name for farm Newton Farm by entrance, I have told her 6-8 motorhomes over the weekend at various times, she is quite happy with that as a plan. I suspect she is quite grateful for a small Christmas bonus

Route in exactly as you describe, about 3/4 mile past the layby café, more or less as soon as the trees on the left stop prepare to turn in left

If you get to a left turn for Mossyard Camp Site, or worse the big site beside the road on left Auchenlarie you have gone too far by about 1/2 mile

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Heres a couple of pointers for those not knowing the road, a lovely view over the estuary about 1 mile short of Newton Farm a couple of miles past GoF about when you might be thinking you should be there already :)

upload_2017-11-28_8-4-36.png

upload_2017-11-28_8-7-26.png

the turn on the right leads to forum members @motorhomevirgins I think they changed their name but don't know what to, but also haven't seen them posting for a while, but that could just be because I don't know their new name :LOL: I will try and contact them, even if that means a knock on the door, we popped in to see them on our first trip here in our current MH (y)

Layby café, only half a mile to go now :)(y)

upload_2017-11-28_8-10-57.png

this place used to be a CL (maybe still is) this is NOT the turn in

upload_2017-11-28_8-12-58.png

But this is the turn off, where the car is waiting on the left (y)

upload_2017-11-28_8-35-36.png

upload_2017-11-28_8-36-36.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Haha.. I wish I had a £1 for every time I've driven that road over the last 40 odd years David. .
I can' remember a trip where I haven' stopped at the skyreburn teapot for a cuppa if it was open....
Happy days..
Andy.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Co-ordinates for the entrance @Debs so even when there's zero visibility in a blizzard, you can still find the entrance.
:):)

54.852932,-4.252297
Brendan, If i knew how to input co-ords into my btard of a sat nav I would:cautious: but thanks for the info:LOL:

And if anyone can tell me how to input them that would be v gratefully received....
I think its a TT go 600

And talking of going, I have to, to my Pa's.....

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Really wish I could have joined you on the 15th as my birthday is around that time but I am booked on at Keswick from the Monday so a bit of a haul. Having said that I hope you all have a great time and have a gin for me please Debs x

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Really wish I could have joined you on the 15th as my birthday is around that time but I am booked on at Keswick from the Monday so a bit of a haul. Having said that I hope you all have a great time and have a gin for me please Debs x

Its sort of on the way if you look at the map with a squint :) if you change your mind you would be very welcome (y) if not we will redistribute your portions of gin :LOL:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
We were i Dumfries and Galloway 3wks ago and it is a beautiful area.Wish we had known of that location it looks beautiful,maybe next time .Have a great time David.and a forward happy birthday(y)
Brian & Jo

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010

I'm just setting off for Keswick now Carol, so I'll warn them you're coming and the need to restock the town with gin.
:D:D

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The Schoolhouse at Ringford is a nice stop off for a lunch or coffee when you're on the A75, might be a bit too close to the GoF site to justify stopping as it's probably less than 10 miles to the campsite though.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Sorry you can't make it Carol but be assured that I will do my very best for you in the gin dept:LOL:.

@Brendan have a great time in Keswick - I really enjoyed the place(y)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
@Brendan there was bad flooding at keswick last week. Campsite had to be evacuated. Have you checked?

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Brendan, If i knew how to input co-ords into my btard of a sat nav I would:cautious: but thanks for the info:LOL:

And if anyone can tell me how to input them that would be v gratefully received....
I think its a TT go 600

@Debs

I have a TomTom Go 50 and it may be similar to your Go 600. If it is, once you know how to, its easy. To input coordinates, click "Search"

20171129_095804754_iOS.jpg

Click "Whole Map"

20171129_095839363_iOS.jpg

Scroll down using the up / down arrows on the right hand side and select "Latitude Longitude"

20171129_095859502_iOS.jpg

Enter the coordinates as shown in the examples
20171129_095915304_iOS.jpg

It should find your destination

20171129_103256179_iOS.jpg

Select it and off you go, have fun :)

Cheers

Trevor

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
@Brendan there was bad flooding at keswick last week. Campsite had to be evacuated. Have you checked?

Thanks for the info Sue.
It was a last minute booking, so I guess it shows as not available in their system if there are still issues.
I'm on the site now, and all looks good.
No rain forecast for the next few days.
And just in case, I'm near the exit gate.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Will be there on Monday - after my cousin's funeral - hopefully the weather holds...
If you discover any hostelries etc you'd recommend, please advise (y)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I'l try to be diligent in my research.
I'm sure you will;).

We tried a few. The one we couldn't get in the was the dog & something at the top of the high street on the RHS, always heaving...And we tried several times, believe me. We weren't impressed with the one more or less next door (walking past, going down the hill). As you can see I have a great memory for names Declan:LOL:;)

@Treeeev many thanks for that Trevor, I will have a go. It's always good to learn/try new things @DavidG58 :happy:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Thanks for the info Sue.
It was a last minute booking, so I guess it shows as not available in their system if there are still issues.
No rain forecast for the next few days.
And just in case, I'm near the exit gate.
how long you there for Brendan...
might catch you on Sunday(y)
Andy

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I'm sure you will;).

We tried a few. The one we couldn't get in the was the dog & something at the top of the high street on the RHS, always heaving...And we tried several times, believe me. We weren't impressed with the one more or less next door (walking past, going down the hill). As you can see I have a great memory for names Declan:LOL:;)

@Treeeev many thanks for that Trevor, I will have a go. It's always good to learn/try new things @DavidG58 :happy:
not sure whether to give that an informative or not:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
ps... I suppose for a blond
Andy

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It's always good to learn/try new things @DavidG58 :happy:

I generally agree Debbie, but put a post code into your tomtom it will show you the town and road to confirm destination, put in coordinates on ours and it doesn't, you transpose a couple of numbers and you might be lucky to get the right country let alone town :LOL::LOL:

I will reserve my new things to different flavoured tonic (y)(y) although @BreweryDave does keep suggesting cucumber in my gin, is that different enough :D

mind you talking of new things to try, just had very odd conversation with my mother, saying she hasn't had eggs in her kitchen for a long time (she doesn't cook anything now, apart from toast) so I say what would you use an egg for mum, I would put it in a warm milk drink. :sick: luckily even if I put some eggs in her kitchen she cant even warm up the milk so it wouldn't happen

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
@Debs, sounds like The Dog and Gun, it's always busy ! We've had good and not so good meals there though. Their speciality is goulash, which is great for this weather and as a bit of a quirk, they refuse to do chips.
Lots of places to eat in Keswick, just run them past Trip Advisor first, we're within 30 miles and always check reviews first as places change so much.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@Debs, sounds like The Dog and Gun, it's always busy ! We've had good and not so good meals there though. Their speciality is goulash, which is great for this weather and as a bit of a quirk, they refuse to do chips.
Lots of places to eat in Keswick, just run them past Trip Advisor first, we're within 30 miles and always check reviews first as places change so much.
I think thats the one, hopefully I'll get back up there to explore more before too long. I check tripadvisor too but don't mind taking a risk every now and again:LOL:

@DavidG58 sorry, couldn't give you a 'like' , take it that things are still hard going today?:(

I'm not really interested in technology, I just want something to work without any hassle but it's always good to have options. You know how painful I find that sat nav even though you thought it was fine and I really need to be able to do this stuff :cautious:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It looks a stunning location David and I'm tempted, especially if the lovely Lola is going to be there.
I'm just a bit conscious of the potential weather here further north (I'm not as intrepid as you are!) with a 350 mile trip crossing the highlands. So if it's OK, please put me down as a definite maybe!
PS is it hard standing?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It looks a stunning location David and I'm tempted, especially if the lovely Lola is going to be there.
I'm just a bit conscious of the potential weather here further north (I'm not as intrepid as you are!) with a 350 mile trip crossing the highlands. So if it's OK, please put me down as a definite maybe!
PS is it hard standing?

stunning it is indeed :) we have had everything from frost and snow, huge gales and waves, through to sunburn on our previous trips

sunburn less likely, pre Christmas snow unlikely, but the route down for you would need picking maybe

hard standing :LOL::LOL::LOL: not a chance, it is literally on a beach although since we first went it has masses more grass now and very firm, there had to be a few tow offs by tractor in our earlier attempts, but mainly due to caravans with over optimistic drivers, :whistle: no real chance of getting stuck now, it is much more like a field than a beach where we park (y)

The lovely Lola will be 10 on Saturday :) although we now have to expect she is approaching her last year, :( we were told 6-7 years was a good age for this breed 9 years ago when we rescued her from the RSPCA aged 13 months

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The lovely Lola will be 10 on Saturday
Bless her... one of the nicest good natured and well behaved dogs I've ever met... if she's allowed treats I'll fetch some for her.. and I won' forget you as it' your bd as well :LOL::LOL:
Andy. .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back