Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

Just had a Google of the A183 (Shore Road) at South Shields, As far as I can seen Overnight Parking is Not prohibited?. Can anyone update this.

Reason:- Grandson comes out of S-Tyne College 16th Dec, with tight window for getting his "student" stuff out of his Dig`s, and into store, before he flies out to join a ship before Xmas!. I reckon that if I go up Thursday Night late afternoon I can lay over in the M-H. collect his Gear first thing Friday and be back here with some time to spare.

Pete

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I think that's what we refer to as the coast road.. there are laybys along its length and while I'm sure you could get away with it for a night I doubt it's legal and right on a busy road.
I think you would be better heading for a large car park off the road up towards Marsden bay... easily spotted on Google earth..
Andy

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I'm on about the larger car park overlooking marsdenn bay and not the car park at the grotto pub..
Just past the roundabout on the 183 junction with A1300 on maps.. the car park entrance is on left 100m or so past roundabout on 183..
Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Hi

Just had a Google of the A183 (Shore Road) at South Shields, As far as I can seen Overnight Parking is Not prohibited?. Can anyone update this.

Reason:- Grandson comes out of S-Tyne College 16th Dec, with tight window for getting his "student" stuff out of his Dig`s, and into store, before he flies out to join a ship before Xmas!. I reckon that if I go up Thursday Night late afternoon I can lay over in the M-H. collect his Gear first thing Friday and be back here with some time to spare.

Pete
Most of the sea front car parks in South Tyneside used to have 'no overnight' rules on the information boards.

I'm starting weekend nightshifts tomorrow night and will check out the current car parking regulation boards, as well as any 'on road' restriction signs for you. I take it the local caravan site isn't an option if it's open that late in the season ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Most of the sea front car parks in South Tyneside used to have 'no overnight' rules on the information boards.

I'm starting weekend nightshifts tomorrow night and will check out the current car parking regulation boards, as well as any 'on road' restriction signs for you. I take it the local caravan site isn't an option if it's open that late in the season ?
There is a parking order which bans camping in off street parking places but I couldn't see anything in the on street parking order. There may, however, be time restrictions which prevent any vehicle from stopping. In general, sleeping at the roadside is legal unless there is an order in place saying otherwise. See here.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
There is a parking order which bans camping in off street parking places but I couldn't see anything in the on street parking order. There may, however, be time restrictions which prevent any vehicle from stopping. In general, sleeping at the roadside is legal unless there is an order in place saying otherwise. See here.
Thanks Graham, I'll still check roadside for PeteH for local restrictions.

As an aside, I had a quick look at the link in your post, which as titled relates to major roads (of which the A183 isn't) and I have to agree with the responder from DfT in the link, the information that the requester is asking for is not IMO subject to Freedom Of Information legislation. The information is freely available elsewhere and is not held by DfT, so falls outside of the remit of the Act. It seems that they eventually responded favourably, I can only assume as a goodwill gesture to placate the requester.

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
In general, sleeping at the roadside is legal unless there is an order in place saying otherwise

Having been a truck driver, I assume the same as sleeping in any lay-by applies unless proscribed (signed)? It`s a one night only job anyway, arrive late gone by daylight almost. hence not particularly wanting to be on a camp-site for once. the streets up by the College do have restriction and in any case are occupied by locals.

Ref; Marsden Car Park, Google`d, but the sign is not readable. STC website says winter £1 all day. But no info; as to whether Overnighting is barred?

Last edited:
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Those car parks along the front near Marsden used to have a bad rep. With boy racers etc. Not sure what that are like now.

There is a road near us on the outskirts of Shields where a neighbour parks his MH with no bother for days at a time.

On Google maps look for the intersection of Wenlock rd and Newcastle rd, just near there is marked Roman rd, it has the Simonside Arms on it. Think this might be suitable for you. The Simonside Arms is now an Italian restaurant and there is a Brewersfayre across the rd if you need to eat.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks Graham, I'll still check roadside for PeteH for local restrictions.

As an aside, I had a quick look at the link in your post, which as titled relates to major roads (of which the A183 isn't) and I have to agree with the responder from DfT in the link, the information that the requester is asking for is not IMO subject to Freedom Of Information legislation. The information is freely available elsewhere and is not held by DfT, so falls outside of the remit of the Act. It seems that they eventually responded favourably, I can only assume as a goodwill gesture to placate the requester.
I was the requester :) The FoI request was valid (and was, eventually, answered by the DfT as such) but it turned out that the information was not held because it does not exist as there are no national restrictions in place. Under our legal system an activity is legal unless restricted. There being no national restrictions then only those LAs that have put local restrictions in place will hold relevant information. That information, as far as possible, has been obtained by direct request to them as documented on other pages of the web site.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Having been a truck driver, I assume the same as sleeping in any lay-by applies unless proscribed (signed)? It`s a one night only job anyway, arrive late gone by daylight almost. hence not particularly wanting to be on a camp-site for once. the streets up by the College do have restriction and in any case are occupied by locals.

Ref; Marsden Car Park, Google`d, but the sign is not readable. STC website says winter £1 all day. But no info; as to whether Overnighting is barred?
All the car parks down the coast there (EDIT, except private/NT ones) are owned by South Tyneside and, as posted above, the parking order bans camping in all of them.
As regards laybys, yes, just the same as for trucks (unless there is a restriction, as there are in some places, which allows trucks but not motorhomes).

Last edited:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I was the requester :) The FoI request was valid (and was, eventually, answered by the DfT as such) but it turned out that the information was not held because it does not exist as there are no national restrictions in place. Under our legal system an activity is legal unless restricted. There being no national restrictions then only those LAs that have put local restrictions in place will hold relevant information. That information, as far as possible, has been obtained by direct request to them as documented on other pages of the web site.
I like that you were the requester and yes your request for information was valid, it's just that IMO it falls outside of the 2000 Act. As a former FoI Officer, you will be more than aware that the Act was brought in to make public bodies more accountable, by making information that was never usually released in to the public domain, available on reasonable request.
Had the legislation that you were requesting, actually existed, it could have been accessed elsewhere without invoking Freedom Of Information legislation, which is why I agreed with the DfT's initial response to your request. Perhaps they should have just said that they don't hold the information and left it at that, or because such information can (usually) be accessed elsewhere, it falls within exemptions written in to the Act.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
....and popping back to the OP for a bit, I don't know if Sunderland are more relaxed, but a few miles further south on the A183 at Seaburn, there are often motorhomes parked up overnight in the on road parking areas, especially at times of large events such as the International Airshow.

Seaburn is only a steady 10 - 15 minute drive from South Shields.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I like that you were the requester and yes your request for information was valid, it's just that IMO it falls outside of the 2000 Act. As a former FoI Officer, you will be more than aware that the Act was brought in to make public bodies more accountable, by making information that was never usually released in to the public domain, available on reasonable request.
Had the legislation that you were requesting, actually existed, it could have been accessed elsewhere without invoking Freedom Of Information legislation, which is why I agreed with the DfT's initial response to your request. Perhaps they should have just said that they don't hold the information and left it at that, or because such information can (usually) be accessed elsewhere, it falls within exemptions written in to the Act.
The fact is, though, that a lot of information was never released into the public domain because nobody thought it was worth doing so and much of that which was released was not easily accessible. The http://www.legislation.gov.uk web site, for example, was not established until May 2005, some 5 months after FoIA came in.

As the introduction to FoIA says, it is "An Act to make provision for the disclosure of information held by public authorities or by persons providing services for them" and does not limit the disclosure to items which were never usually released. In addition, an important part of FoIA is S16, the duty to provide advice and assistance. As far back a 15 years ago, the Lord Chancellor said “The FOI Act is challenged with the task of reversing the working premise that everything is secret, unless otherwise stated, to a position where everything is public unless it falls into specified excepted cases”. I, and colleagues I worked with in other authorities in the run up to January 2005, always took the view that our duty was to help the requester as much as possible.

Before making my request I had actually tried to find any applicable legislation but without success (not surprising as it turned out). Had there been legislation (which is what I asked for) I should have expected just to be pointed to the relevant web site or library and would have been happy with that. The DfT, of course, admitted that their initial response as to the validity of the request was wrong and did, in fact, say that they didn't hold the information, which was fine. Proper request, proper answer :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
....and popping back to the OP for a bit, I don't know if Sunderland are more relaxed, but a few miles further south on the A183 at Seaburn, there are often motorhomes parked up overnight in the on road parking areas, especially at times of large events such as the International Airshow.

Seaburn is only a steady 10 - 15 minute drive from South Shields.
Good point. We stayed at a C&CC rally at Seaburn Camp a few years ago and there were a few motorhomes which stayed overnight on the sea side of the road where there were no restrictions.

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
You could stop here next to were Geordies is advising I have a unit here lorries often stop overnight and it is of the main road a quite but near to the places Geordies mentioned.

Waldridge Way

https://goo.gl/maps/HRRRFxL6cdK2

Had a look, Seems to be gated?. At the moment it looks like I will park up in the grounds of the accommodation block. no gates, and not a lot of cars according to Grandson.

Cheers guys for your input!(y)

Pete

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Pete,

I had a drive along the coast at South Shields in the early hours and as far as the parking goes alongside the A183 (on the beach side of the road) the area is marked out as 'Pay & Display' parking bays.

I had a look at the restrictions on the machines and the only thing I could find was an instruction that a ticket must be displayed between 9.30am and 8.30pm. There is nothing to suggest a ticket is needed outside of those hours and nothing to suggest you can't park overnight, so your observations in your OP look to be correct.

The area I checked was directly in front of Sandhaven Caravan Park, which looked to be mostly statics and at 3am was devoid of traffic, other than the occasional taxi. If you decide to stay closer to the beach, rather than near the College, this area is suitable.

Reactions: GJH
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Hi the gates are never closed for access, but your grandson could be right I live just down the road from the college and you would be fine in this car park which is empty on a night and weekends

Dropped pin

https://goo.gl/maps/nbjJgJMnMbJ2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back