South Of France Route - Please Help ! (1 Viewer)

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
KonTiki 640 (an old one)!
Exp
Since 2008
(n)I know this subject has probably been done to death but it's causing me much scratching of head trying to work out the best way of getting from Calais to Argeles sur Mer 'down south'. Have done a few trips around France over the years but since having the MH have only done the West side (Vendee, Charente and Loire areas) so gone through Rouen each time.

We travel through tunnel 6am Friday 10th July and have only 3 weeks holiday time. Are spending a week in Argeles with friends and ideally want to get 2 overnight stops in on the way down (aires or campsites, not fussy). Don't mind Paying tolls on the way down but Paris isn't on my favourite list of routes to take. Bear in mind our old KonTiki isn't the most happy of MH's if constantly up and down huge hills and maybe you will see my problem. I'm throwing myself at the mercy of those Funsters who are way more experienced than me in the hope that someone takes pity on me and helps me out with my dilemma !

Thanks in anticipation. (n)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you only want two stops then I think you need motorways all the way. Paris is a bu&&er but is probably the most direct, otherwise you could go round via Chartres to avoid it. By going down the middle of France you can take the A75 which is free for a lot of the way and then just run along the Med coast to Argeles.

If you try to avoid Paris you will be on some less main roads, so if I wanted to be as quick as possible I would put up with horiphique periphique, just try not to hit it at peak times. Probably only one stop then necessary if your in a rush. About 750miles total.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DebsD

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008
Thank you both ! That link is the one I have seen before and couldn't find again !

I think we're pretty much decided on A71/A75 after Paris so I guess it's time to grin and bear the peripherique - Maybe if I just shut my eyes and let OH get on with the driving we may end up finding our way onto it going the right way round, and get off it somewhere near to where we need to be - preferably avoiding the 10km tunnel which I believe will take the roof off as it's 2m height restriction.

Thank you for taking pity on me :)

Deleted User
We have done this journey many times and usually go Calais, Rouen, Chartres, Orleans, Clermont Ferrand, Millau.

We stop the first night at a small village called Le Pondy (free aires at side of canal) this is near St Amand Montrand
Second night - Millau (not stayed here since aires changed to barrier system) or small village called Campagnac (not much here but suitable as a stop over)

If you look on campercontact.com there are a lot of aires around these suggestions, these distances suit our 2 1/2 day journey to the med.

OP
OP
DebsD

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks ! I'm liking that idea even more as it doesn't include the 'P' word in it. Off to do some googling :)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I was going to say that about the A75 - one particularly long hill is so steep it has an escape lane and gravel trap on the southbound leg with the usual 'engine braking' signs - and a crawler lane on the northbound side. But - it's FREE ! and it is the quickest route.

OP
OP
DebsD

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks Moho. I did wonder about the hilly bits. Only concern I have about Your suggested route is that it takes me rather too close to Cognac for comfort. I get within striking distance of that place and the MH develops 'auto pilot mode' :wine:We end up on the free aire in the town buying and drinking far too much of the stuff and never seem to get to where we are supposed to be going.

Seriously, I can't thank you funsters enough for your suggestions.........now which cognac is it next.......... :)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Hello DebsD

We have travelled from Calais via Paris towards the A75 maybe 60+ times in the last 10 years, it can be a bit of a pain but there are options to lessen big city traffic. There are 3 eastern routes which is the side you need. Central Paris the Blvd Peripherique (BP) fastest, easiest and simplest between 2 - 4am, the A86/N186 center ring road which is good around 9pm - 4am, and the A104/N104 outer ring. This one is good if you have to travel at any time that could be busy ie 5 - 10am and 3 - 8:30pm.
In your MH I would take the outer route as you will arrive Paris at about 11am - 12;30pm and it's a Friday with the world of France finishing for the weekend at lunch time.

The outer is a little longer but often faster as almost never a hold up, but it, like the A86 is made up of a series of connecting motorways unlike the continuous M25 for example and you have to be aware that there will be a few direction changes which are all motorway junctions, but no stopping.

Our best method for this route is to leave Calais around 1am and drive through the night until the A77, this is about 5 hours driving. The first 2 or 3 aires on the A77 are peaceful and very well laid out. Not every body can arrive at Calais in the evening (sometimes we don't have a choice on timing either) so at your crossing time I would stop an hour from Paris and then drive until the A77 and possibly as it's Friday day time the 2nd or 3rd aire.

Fuel we buy at a Total station on the A16 about 5km south of the Tunnel.

For us the best route to Paris is the A16 to Beauvais then across to Senlis, mostly dual carriageway and the least trafficked way to get to Paris. A slighter easier route is the A16 to Amiens then across to the A1 on the D934 to Roye, it's a good road mostly dualled. It's also possible to use the A29 from Amiens to the A1 but it's just a longer route.

We travelled up the A75 last week, we travel this 3 or 4 times each year. There are some long drags but the grading is generally good and our 1992 Mercedes Hymer doesn't object too much. It is one of our favourite motorways in France, very gently beautiful. The A77 south of Paris is calm and also pretty at times, very easy to drive.

There is an aire in Moulins right on the river opposite the town. About a 5 or 6 minute walk form a reasonable sized Intermarche supermarket + fuel there too. Once you exit the A77 there are I believe a few aires over the next 40 - 60 kms, but you would have to ask others.

The A75 has a few really good motorway aires too, just ask if you want them pointed out.

You know of course that Europe is on holiday at the time you are travelling so many of the busier routes will have more than normal traffic. For some reason apart from early morning that doesn't affect Paris too much.

If you need any detailed info please feel free to ask, enjoy your trip.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
It's always a hard decision, I'm drawn west for the Cognac and Bordeaux wines, love the central route for the fabulous views (hate the toll fee from Paris to Clermont F.), or take the eastern route for arguably better Rhone Valley wines and great scenery.
Sure you'll have a great holiday !

OP
OP
DebsD

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks everyone !

Wine-hills-cognac-'p'-countryside........ You have all been great help and now I can give the OH your comments and let him choose the route. Once that's done I will get the maps out and shout 'left-right-get in that lane-nooooooo, not that tunnel' and we will no doubt have a lovely holiday !

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
When we've been down that way we've always avoided Paris and took the route towards Rouen. Always seems to work for us.

(We're from the frozen northern tundra, so it's a bit of a trek even to Dover, so often do another few hours on the other side of the channel before sleeping somewhere)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back