South East coast road trip (1 Viewer)

Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Hi there we are new to motorhoming (did have a caravan a few years ago) and would like to do a road trip down the south east coast. Starting at Wells next to the Sea and finishing at Littlehampton. We are hoping to go next week and there isn't a time limit as such. I know you funsters have a wealth of knowledge and would be grateful for any tips and tricks on where to go and where to stay.

Regards

Annette

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Are you looking for large sites, CL's/CS's or free stopping places?
Do you belong to either of the two 'clubs'?
Have you looked at the various search websites?
Difficult to suggest where to go without knowing your interests - historical sites, bird watching (migrations?), beaches........etc.

OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Hi there thanks for replying. We are looking for electric hook up really and probably shower facilities. The places on our list to possibly visit are Wells next the sea, Cromer, Caister on Sea, Southwold, Clacton on Sea, Whistable, Margate, Folkestone, Camber Sands, Hastings, Brighton and Littlehampton. And anything intersting in between. We normally like to pitch up between two places and cycle in between but obviously weather may affect play. Open to any suggestions really, and happy to join a caravan club if need be - again any suggestion for this would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
Annette

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Firstly, if going to Wells Next the Sea ensure you go to Frenchā€™s for Fish and Chips.
You have large site at Pinewoods and small site nearby at Stiffkey.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
If you want to go to Wells NTS your best option might be Deepdale Backpackers and get the coastliner bus, I was there recently and got the bus to Wells and then walked back, you can also get as far as Hunstanton and places between. However, like many places, Deepdale do not have the showers and toilets open, the external dog shower does work though and I did see a guy in his shorts using that one day, but the weather is a bit cooler now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
For Cromer a good bet would be Manor Farm at East Runton, though I don't think their showers are open, another option would be Woodhill, you can walk in on the coastal path, though it does divert onto the road at some points. You can also easily walk to Sheringham. Again their is a coastliner bus as well as the main bus to Norwich.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
For Whitstable I think Primrose Cottage may be your best bet though it means a downhill walk to the town, though the 5 bus does run hourly. It is a small site adjacent to Tesco. An alternative is Seaview at Swalecliffe which does give you a level coastal walk to Whitstable or Herne Bay.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Personally I would not bother with a stop at Margate, if you want to see it the best option would be do it by train while staying at Whitstable, if you did want to camp nearer one of the Birchington sites would be best, but you have an easier trip to Margate from Whitstable.

Instead on that coast I would visit Sandwich and Deal, they are much more interesting than Margate. A good option for this might be the campsite at Martin Mill, which is adjacent to the train station for easy access to both and also to Dover and Folkestone.

Jun 13, 2020
Garden of England
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML T570
Daleacre site Hythe well worth a look. Great location between Folkestone and Camber. Excellent site. Very good coastal cycle path.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I don't know the region very well but I visited Dedham Vale ANOB last year and thought it was a lovely area, very scenic

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Southwold campsite is Council run and you need to book
Don't forget to pay the dart charge.
For the kent section I would use the park and ride and bus into Canterbury for the day
There is a water point and grey and black disposal
Sandwich carpark have an overnight tariff and we've stayed there
Reculver and hearn bay also have motorhome bays
None have facilities as we are self sufficient in the van And seldom use sites

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back