SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Looking for a decent soundbar for my Avtex tv as sometimes when watching movies on my hard drive the sound isn't great (quality of the recording). I'm looking for a unit which is preferably rechargable rather than just mains powered, up to 16" in length would be ideal, not bothered about bluetooth as I would be connecting via the 3.5mm jack, and the louder the better! Any funsters out there have a similar soundbar? I've looked on Amazon etc but any personal recommendations would be appreciated :)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I use my Bose Mini Soundlink for all my habitation audio... it has a mini jack for a wired connection & can be charged by a variety of methods
381449197ec267fe4670db210474c236-product.jpg

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Look at cambridge audio.

I got the Go model, which i think is now updated.
Good thing about it is has 16+ hours of battery life, which you can also use to charge your phone. Charged via 240v plug though.

They do various sizes . It is bluetooth as well as an audio jack. Sound is incrediable

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the problem is that if the source sound track is poor quality, you will just get a louder version of that poor quality from the sound bar. just amplified speakers in effect

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: SMB
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Another Vote for the Soundlink Mini, however I must admit I have been a Bose dealer for many years. Great little product but sadly discontinued now, however we do have a few left... not selling here just saying. To put it into context I have a shop full of Bose stuff and out of all of the stuff I picked the Mini to go in our van. To spice things up I added a BT transmitter off the sat rec so I can stream the radio to the speaker anywhere around the van, or plug directly into the bed TV via a jack. A BT transmitter also can be used on a TV with a headphone socket.
It's true "crap in crap out" but the Mini will do the best job for a small speaker. The replacement ( The Revolve) is Ok but IMHO not as good bang per buck as the Mini and can't sit on top / underneath the TV.

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
the problem is that if the source sound track is poor quality, you will just get a louder version of that poor quality from the sound bar. just amplified speakers in effect
Bad choice of words from me, some of the soundtracks are just too quiet which I put down to the recording method

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Thanks for the replies, its appreciated. I'll research them further tomorrow (y)

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
SB195BT - just launched avtex sound bar, or put through van speakers?

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
SB195BT - just launched avtex sound bar, or put through van speakers?
Saw that as well, no reviews as yet but will monitor. Tried the fm transmitter but get a buzzing noise when volume is cranked up :(

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you are only using it in the van why not just wire the TV sound to the stereo head unit.

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
If you are only using it in the van why not just wire the TV sound to the stereo head unit.
I wouldn't know where to start other than a very long 3.5mm aux cable! The tv is at the rear of the van and four speakers share the sound when the balance on the stereo head is set to rear play (6 speakers in total, front, middle and rear).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I wouldn't know where to start other than a very long 3.5mm aux cable! The tv is at the rear of the van and four speakers share the sound when the balance on the stereo head is set to rear play (6 speakers in total, front, middle and rear).
There you are you do know how to do it, a 3.5mm jack to phono cable (the stereo is normally phono inputs) just need to spend a few hours getting the cable through it will be easy if you have a double floor.:)

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Changing my head unit for a kenwood and adding rear speakers and yes a long 10m 3.5m aux cable to link tv and head unit to play through all speakers plus a new sub woofer, that’s the theory anyway let you know on 5th March when it’s installed!

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Ive read a few reviews of the Bose Mini and some were very down on it.
I would have no hesitation in recommending the Bose Mini.

The sound that comes out of this little device is astonishing.. a deep base as well as plenty of treble as supplied.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Or... if the headunit in the van has BT, connect a BT sender to the Tv and avoid the wires. £25 gets a good one. However I decided to not go down that route as our double din head unit pulls a good few amps and I didn't want to risk draining the battery off EHU.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Or... if the headunit in the van has BT, connect a BT sender to the Tv and avoid the wires. £25 gets a good one. However I decided to not go down that route as our double din head unit pulls a good few amps and I didn't want to risk draining the battery off EHU.
Always wire my unit to the leisure batteries my Clarion only draws 2 amps compared to Pioneer's that take 6 amps & I have 3 Leisure batteries.

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
There you are you do know how to do it, a 3.5mm jack to phono cable (the stereo is normally phono inputs) just need to spend a few hours getting the cable through it will be easy if you have a double floor.:)
No double floor but I can pull things to bits no problem, getting them back together is another matter (bull/china shop) :D

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
No BT head unit at the moment but considering upgrading the current one for this reason and also want one with a SD slot so I can stick all my music on one card instead of attaching a mp3 player/phone by aux cable:)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Ive read a few reviews of the Bose Mini and some were very down on it.
That's to be expected - some don't like the audio signature of Bose - it is very bass heavy - and some don't like the price.
As with all audio components, it is always a compromise between size, price & sound. What impresses one, disappoints another. If spending a few quid, it's always advisable to audition speakers if you can...

... however, we are talking about an easy way of vastly improving TV sound...

Deleted User
Have a bose mini, and find the sound quality to my liking. But they are quite pricey, bought 2nd hand off e bay for about £100 a year ago. But last week bought a mains mini speaker for the bedroom tv with delivery £13, again via ebay.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@SMB we use this device to stream the audio to our Cab radio and use the cab & MH speakers to play the audio , for us it works good , and at £13 it sure is a lot cheaper and no need to run any wires from the tv to the front radio , just connect it to the headphones socket on the TV then set the transmitter to a frequency not being used and tune the radio into said frequency, Vola , note we have a spare ciggy socket right beside our tv where i plug the transmitter into so it can get its power.
The seller we bought it from at the time no longer has them , but im sure you can find one easily enough if you are interested.
Amazon product ASIN B01J2VCVW2

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
@SMB we use this device to stream the audio to our Cab radio and use the cab & MH speakers to play the audio , for us it works good , and at £13 it sure is a lot cheaper and no need to run any wires from the tv to the front radio , just connect it to the headphones socket on the TV then set the transmitter to a frequency not being used and tune the radio into said frequency, Vola , note we have a spare ciggy socket right beside our tv where i plug the transmitter into so it can get its power.
The seller we bought it from at the time no longer has them , but im sure you can find one easily enough if you are interested.

Amazon product ASIN B01J2VCVW2
Thanks for that Bart, the Avtex tv has a fm transmitter built-in so I can connect it to the cab radio already, the problem is that there is feedback on the speakers, I don't know if this gadget has a more powerful transmitter but I will look into it (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back