Sound music audio to deter burglars when leaving motorhome unattended (1 Viewer)

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Our motorhome was burgled recently while we were parked at Malahide Castle in Ireland for a few hours. They took some electronics but fortunately no damage to the van, and the cats were unharmed.

In addition to a variety of other security measures (CCTV, door lock, steering wheel lock, etc), I was thinking of playing some music or sound on an old iPhone whenever we leave the van unattended. Any kind of music would be ok, but what if the burglars knock on the door first to check if anyone answers?

What about playing children's songs or lullabies? Then perhaps the burglars would think that there's a kid inside, which would explain why no one answers the door. Hopefully the idea of having to tangle with a kid (or that the parents will be back soon) is sufficient deterrent, though a particularly heartless criminal might think that a kid would make it an easy job.

The sound of dogs barking and growling could work too, but I don't want to upset our cats.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Why not a cheap battery radio ? Less than £4 on Ebay.
Something I keep thinking of doing But not got around to it as yet..
Leave it on a radio station and MAYBE they think you are listening to that...

or.

Radio - SD media player - Bluetooth speaker - re-chargable..

Pulled my own finger out and ordered a Brown one.. (y)

Last edited:

jo10000_6

Free Member
Dec 21, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 Classic
Exp
Jan 2018
Sorry to hear that.

My windows are like yours and you’ve just nudged me into making them more secure - sometimes a little jiggle and they open to be honest.

Good idea on radio !

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Any kind of music would be ok, but what if the burglars knock on the door first to check if anyone answers?
Play a Des O'Connor album and no-one would even come near the door.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
You can also buy plug in devices that send out flashing lights that mimic having a tv on.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I just leave the wife in there as she does not like going out. She would not answer the door and would rip the throats out of anybody tha broke in, thinking it empty.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
One thing I do when travelling, is leave the room TV on and a do not disturb sign on the door. Similarly, when leaving the van, I put the radio on and a light, even in daytime, to give the impression that someone is at home. And the blinds just high enough so nobody can see

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Probably the cab sliding windows. I've now found out that the latch for these is crap. I've stuck a stick in the runner now. I'll do a write up on that soon.

We have a length of L shaped aluminium in the runner for my sliding window, works well.
Don’t block up the runner as ours is also the channel for any condensation to drain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back