Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
With ERS via C&CC, premium and cover perfectly acceptable.
Recently changed van for one a bit bigger, a bit older, of similar value. When I phoned to make the change (before I actually had the new van), there was virtually no change to the premium. At the time, I didn't know if it had an alarm, hadn't bothered to check because I didn't really care, and the Insurer wasn't bothered.
Turned out it came with a Category 1 alarm, so I thought I better tell the C&CC. I wasn't expecting any premium reduction.
But I certainly wasn't expecting a hefty additional premium. How can that be?
To be fair, the chap at C&CC couldn't fathom it either, and said he'd speak to ERS. End result, no additional premium, but how can bog standard rating manuals (or the modern digital equivalent) produce a higher premium for a van once an alarm has been added?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
And now you have declared you have the alarm, if not set and you have an issue you have given the insurers the option to decline paying ?

But in answer to your question , no logic at all for the increase other than possibly an admin fee

But I do wonder why you told them ? although probably you do too now ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you hadn't told them & claimed & they found out they could have refused to pay. As DavidG58 states that by telling them you now have to use it otherwise they will refuse to pay.
The usual excuse for added premium with an house alarm anyway , is that it tells the thives that there is something worth stealing. As Vipar stated they have an answer for everything & have gone far away from the original idea of insurance which was to put you back in the position you were in before any incident.

Aug 23, 2011
Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Lyseo 727g
Exp
since 2011
Never understand insurance. Our van was stored on a military base, surrounded by 10' razor wire, secure access, 24 hour manned CCTV and a fully armed patrol every couple of hours, day and night. When I retired I moved the storage to an open farm 1/2 a mile away. The annual insurance premium dropped considerably. Mind you, I suppose they knew that Twoflower worked on the base and thus the risk of accidental damage was considerable ;)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Insurance makes no sense, we have just traded our old van in for a brand new one. I was all set to get lots of quotes but obviously phoned Comfort first as there is 6 months to run on on our old policy, £15 to transfer. I queried whether they were sure and would that definitely give me new for old cover as it was brand new and he said yes so it was a no brainer. Mind you when I sent them my alarm and tracker certificates they thanked me for providing evidence of my NCD ! Glad I only emailed copies.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Two years ago we had a coachbuilt motorhome which was insured for about £380 per year. After five months we changed it for a PVC at pretty much the same value. When we contacted the Insurers to change the vehicle covered on the Policy they demanded an extra £1000.:oops: for the remaining four months of the policy.

When we queried this with the C&CC who had arranged the cover they initially couldn’t explain it but promised to investigate and report back.

The eventual explanation was that they had a clause in their agreement with insurers which “capped” the cost of renewals but not “mid-term changes”. They expressed surprise at the requested surcharge and said they wouldn’t use them again.

We cancelled the policy and took out a new one with Safeguard.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Never understand insurance. Our van was stored on a military base, surrounded by 10' razor wire, secure access, 24 hour manned CCTV and a fully armed patrol every couple of hours, day and night. When I retired I moved the storage to an open farm 1/2 a mile away. The annual insurance premium dropped considerably. Mind you, I suppose they knew that Twoflower worked on the base and thus the risk of accidental damage was considerable ;)

Well you have to transport yourself into the warped mind of the insurer, who is programmed to look for the worst-case scenario.

Military base = legitimate enemy target
Military base = potential storage area for hazardous goods
Military base = potential for rogue elements with access to weaponry to run riot

:)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Well you have to transport yourself into the warped mind of the insurer, who is programmed to look for the worst-case scenario.

Military base = legitimate enemy target
Military base = potential storage area for hazardous goods
Military base = potential for rogue elements with access to weaponry to run riot

:)
and MOD property controlled under military law

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back