Sorry folks....... another gaslow thread (1 Viewer)

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Just thought I'd ask for a bit of help here. We're in France just now and are struggling with filling our Gaslow bottles.
So we have 2x6kg bottles fitted last October and both filled at that time. With not using the van over winter we're only just getting through the original charge.
Weve attempted to fill twice in the last week as the primary bottle was empty and the secondary down to about 60% on the gauges. Each time we've filled, we get about 3litres in and then the filling nozzle releases a load of gas and stops. Each time, the secondary bottle has filled a little and the primary one nowt.
Still have 2 weeks to go and it's becoming a pain in the :moon2:
Has anyone got any idea what the problem is? Quite likely it's me but all thoughts welcome!
Cheers. Bob

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Take them out and bang them gently on the ground, it looks like your valve is sticking from lack of movement

Reactions: JJ

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
When they are filled they just stop filling are you using the right adapter

Joe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
When they are filled they just stop filling are you using the right adapter

Joe
Yup we definitely are. The nozzle goes on fine and the pump starts pumping....... just not for very long :(

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Take them out and bang them gently on the ground, it looks like your valve is sticking from lack of movement
Tried that too @GWAYGWAY. Can hear the float moving in the bottle but doesn't seem to make any difference when I'm filling.....:(

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My Gaslow gauges are highly inaccurate, often throw mini grumps, and refuse to work. I no longer take any notice of them.

If what you describe happened to me, I would open and shut both cylinder gas taps a couple of times.

Then I would check if any gas is actually coming out of the bottle that claims to be empty. Mine often lie to me.

I suspect (I don't know for sure) that the noise you hear is not the cut off device, but the thingy that operates the gauge. (Magnet?)

JJ :cool:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The filling nozzle should not release gas until you unlatch it. There's something very wrong with either your adaptor (or your filling technique :)). Try to borrow an adaptor from the filling station (most have them) to see if there's any improvement.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
We had the same problem a few weeks ago - http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/posts/2320792/ - the bl**dy pumps weren't working properly and it took me to get to use the third Fuel Station pump in France before it worked okay.

If your adapter is fine then, as suggested earlier, then tap the valves a few time to wake them up but a pound to a penny it's the pumps themselves that are faulty.

If at first you don't succeed then ...........

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I had a similar problem with filling my Gaslows this week. Was using my Spanish adapter and the fill stopped quite quickly. Asked for help from the attendant who came out with their adaptor which looked exactly the same but well worn. She screwed it in, connected the supply pipe and the fill was completed without further problem. Might be an idea to ask an attendant for help in case there is a problem with your adapter or your connection method.

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
image.jpg
I had a similar problem with filling my Gaslows this week. Was using my Spanish adapter and the fill stopped quite quickly. Asked for help from the attendant who came out with their adaptor which looked exactly the same but well worn. She screwed it in, connected the supply pipe and the fill was completed without further problem. Might be an idea to ask an attendant for help in case there is a problem with your adapter or your connection method.
The first time we tried to fill near Dinan the attendent came out to help and thats all he managed to do too ....... is a couple of litres and the pump handle blowing :(. Second try today outside La Rochelle this time solo and we got the same thing!
Photo of the adapter we're using attached

So I'm going to ask a really daft question now and it's maybe so obvious that I've missed it. Does the adapter just spin on fit or is it meant to be spanner tightened using the nut between the casting and the thread ?

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Firm hand tight - no need for any spanner or tightening device - just a firm fit - you've got to unscrew the thing without looking embarrassed if you've over tightened.

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
That's a great tip @Xabia thanks for that. Think we'll try a more rural garage next time when we're more likely to get assistance again. I'll ask for their adapter (y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Maybe the specs of these is not quite right when they machine them up, it only needs a millimeter to be wrong.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The filling nozzle definitely shouldn't be releasing gas at all until it is disconnected, when it's quite normal to get a small spurt (keep your hands away, it's b----y cold and can freeze-burn). I would be suspecting your adapter, the pump is automatically cutting out when it "detects" a problem.

A thought occurs to me, but I can't check it as the van is in storage - I'm sure there is a neoprene seal , most likely inside the filler where the adapter screws in. Could be missing/damaged - anybody else like to comment?

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
turn bottles of, then undo pipes and check that the rubber/fibre washers have not been over tightened, this can crush them and block the pipe, we had it happen to us and we could never get the one bottle to fill until we replaced the washer, worth a look, and this was done by the people who fitted the system,

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
A thought occurs to me, but I can't check it as the van is in storage - I'm sure there is a neoprene seal , most likely inside the filler where the adapter screws in. Could be missing/damaged - anybody else like to comment?

Thanks @TerryL. The neoprene seal is definitely still there and intact. If we can find an open rural garage tomorrow with a willing attendent we'll give it one more try and I'll report back. Thanks for all your help guys. It's much appreciated.
Cheers. Bob

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Have you turned them off before attempting to refill? I had a problem once and it was because the bottles were still turned on. Not sure if this is still the case?

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Have you turned them off before attempting to refill? I had a problem once and it was because the bottles were still turned on. Not sure if this is still the case?
Yup. Both bottles off when being filled up. It's a bit of a puzzle. All the pipework looks tickety boo. I'll post a pic in the morning. The bandwidth has died on site here as more folk have turned up for the night :(

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Don't think it makes any difference to filling whether they are turned on or not, the on/off valve only covers discharging gas to the regulator, the fill pipe goes straight to the bottle 80% valve/non return setup.

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
We didn't get a chance to fill today. National holiday and no obvious stations with LPG and we're now out in the sticks anyway. Maybe tomorrow or Wednesday
Anyhoo, this is the install. Bottle on the left is set as primary and is empty. Filler is external on the bodywork ....... not the door. Left bottle empty, right bottle c.60%

IMG_2267.JPG

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Not clear from your photo - do you have automatic changeover, a manual changeover switch or just turn the relevant bottle off/on?

Subject to the above, have you tried setting it up so that the, apparently, empty bottle is the only supply then checking to see if anything/everything still works - give it a moment or two to clear any gas in the pipes. If you've still got a supply your gauge is the culprit, not uncommon.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
With the left one set as primary but empty and the right bottle 60% and switched on, the auto change over valve should be red. Can you get a better picture of the hose set up as it is not clear where the outlet of the left bottle is? o_O Don't trust the gauges as they are not very accurate. I returned from France with a bottle just past the end of the "red wedge" I only managed to get 15 Litres into an 11 Kg bottle and the gauge shows 1/2 of the green. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
IMG_2286.JPG
@Zigisla and @TerryL
OK so now, we have got to the bottom of this and an object lesson in RTFM o_O
It's deffo an auto changeover system but I hadn't twigged on the green/red colour change on the controller valve thingy. So, pointing to the cylinder that the guage says is empty ..... the left one ..... the bottom of the controller is still green :confused: Turning half a turn to the right hand bottle making it the lead cylinder, it too is green :confused::confused:. So basically, we are full and the gushes are pear shaped. Doh!!!
Pics below. Have I missed something obvious ?
IMG_2283.JPG

IMG_2285.JPG

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Duff gauge on cylinder 1. :rolleyes: You have only been able to get 3 litres in because that is all you have used.(y) To confirm the auto c/o v/v is working, switch off the left bottle and keep the right one open and this should change to red. If this does happen, then keep the left cylinder as primary and just use the bottle up until the changeover operates. This full fill to cylinder 1 may well start the gauge working again.:)

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Duff gauge on cylinder 1. :rolleyes: You have only been able to get 3 litres in because that is all you have used.(y) To confirm the auto c/o v/v is working, switch off the left bottle and keep the right one open and this should change to red. If this does happen, then keep the left cylinder as primary and just use the bottle up until the changeover operates. This full fill to cylinder 1 may well start the gauge working again.:)
Thanks @Zigisla Problem sorted (y) Did as you suggested and shut the left bottle and controller clicked to red :D. So have opened both bottles and have left one as primary and I now know what to look for!!
Thanks everyone for your help (y):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back