Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Been filling up our water all week at petrol forecourts and we are still alive :) well I think we are alive. ...

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Isn't it funny, I read that in a completely different way to some others! I read it as it was typical (of a) tugger who is thick, not that all tuggers are typically thick! :LOL:

Understandable, had there been a coma after the word "Typical" or even a smiley face after the whole phrase. There isn't, and I would have thought that if the sentiment of the phrase had been taken the wrong way by all those who read it as it looks and made adverse comment on it, the author the phrase might have made a correction or explanation. He didn't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
All of this is why I never use the campsite or Aire's hose. Always take off, thoroughly disinfect the tap (spray and antiseptic wipe), use my own hose and then put back the old one again when finished. May take a minute longer, but well worth it.

Me too. I only ever use our own hose to fill up. It's probably not needed in most cases but as mentioned it only takes a minute or so.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Understandable, had there been a coma after the word "Typical" or even a smiley face after the whole phrase. There isn't, and I would have thought that if the sentiment of the phrase had been taken the wrong way by all those who read it as it looks and made adverse comment on it, the author the phrase might have made a correction or explanation. He didn't.
The 'problem' is that when writing on a forum it is not always easy to get across the exact meaning of what you are trying to say, not everyone knows the 'niceties' of grammar etc or sometimes forget punctuation when writing and that expressions etc cannot be seen, such as a huge grin to show jesting. For those who want to take it in a negative way then they can, but I'd rather read it in the way I did as I don't for one minute think that the op was being serious about all caravanners being thick ... just some of them ... as are some motorhome owners ... not that I'm saying you are of course! :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Motorhomers are wiser than Tuggers simply because they have seen the light.

Obvious really...

JJ :cool:
Are you calling us all moths! :confused:

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
On a camp site in this country, the owner stopped washing her car to let me fill our tank with the hose pipe. She was only hosing it down and we haven't been drinking the water from the tank so I didn't worry about it on that occasion.
I will certainly be wary of hose pipes in the future though (y)

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The 'problem' is that when writing on a forum it is not always easy to get across the exact meaning of what you are trying to say, not everyone knows the 'niceties' of grammar etc or sometimes forget punctuation when writing and that expressions etc cannot be seen, such as a huge grin to show jesting. For those who want to take it in a negative way then they can, but I'd rather read it in the way I did as I don't for one minute think that the op was being serious about all caravanners being thick ... just some of them ... as are some motorhome owners ... not that I'm saying you are of course! :D

Generous of you to see it the way you do. However, I don't think the OP had a problem in getting over the meaning of the post, it was only three words and in the absence of any correction or further post from the OP I think it pretty obvious the remark was written as intended.

If the OP sees so many people apparently find the post untoward I imagine he would correct it if need be. Perhaps he feels it needs no correction and it reads as intended, or hadsn't visited the site since the original post and may at some time make a further post to correct or clear up any misunderstanding. We shall see.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
IMHO iandsm doth protest too much, methinks. That is using the pre-Hamlet usage of "protest".

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
IMHO iandsm doth protest too much, methinks. That is using the pre-Hamlet usage of "protest".

Not at all I simply answer the point as it was put, it being that there may be misunderstanding of some sort. I didn't feel there was any misunderstanding but of course as was said, "For those who want to take it in a negative way they can" We each interpret what we read in our own way as we choose, rightly or wrongly, the only person who knows the true meaning of the post as it was written is the OP, from whom we have not heard further, yet.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Having lived in France and stopped on 100s of Aires it was not unusual to see French motorhomers using the Elsan tap to fill their fresh water tanks, maybe he was only emulating them in reverse

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
... the only person who knows the true meaning of the post as it was written is the OP, from whom we have not heard further, yet.
One of the thick tuggers has probably run him over with his caravan ... :D

(PS: that was a JOKE by the way!:LOL: )

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Not at all I simply answer the point as it was put, it being that there may be misunderstanding of some sort. I didn't feel there was any misunderstanding but of course as was said, "For those who want to take it in a negative way they can" We each interpret what we read in our own way as we choose, rightly or wrongly, the only person who knows the true meaning of the post as it was written is the OP, from whom we have not heard further, yet.
Sorry I was not monitoring the post i'll read back on the comments and report back ASAP

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Sorry I have to rant:
I had to say something about the actions of this man as I found the situation frustrating. With hindsight I think the complaint was justified and not unreasonable I should now change the title.

Caravaner: used in the hope that he did no know that motorhomes use a hose to fill their tanks.

B'stard: used because it was apparent after questioning his actions that he did know that motorhomes use a hose to fill their tanks.

Please let me know if there are any more questions over semantics or grammar and I will endeavour to answer to the best of my abilities.

NB I didn't say he was a thick or typical

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry I have to rant:
I had to say something about the actions of this man as I found the situation frustrating. With hindsight I think the complaint was justified and not unreasonable I should now change the title.

Caravaner: used in the hope that he did no know that motorhomes use a hose to fill their tanks.

B'stard: used because it was apparent after questioning his actions that he did know that motorhomes use a hose to fill their tanks.

Please let me know if there are any more questions over semantics or grammar and I will endeavour to answer to the best of my abilities.

NB I didn't say he was a thick or typical
I think @iandsm was referring to post #8, which he incorrectly referred to as the OP.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
For the avoidance of doubt, I was referring to the post which simply read, " Typical thick tugger" a simple statement without qualification or punctuation which were apparently not needed if the post was meant to be taken as it reads.

If I attributed any of my posts on this subject incorrectly I apologise.

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
Hi.
On a site in France,Fresh water and waste water taps about a yard apart,at the far end of a grassed area about 15' x30'. Where "M/Homers?" had driven in,and filled their water tanks,and given the cabs a Wash,followed by C/vanners(And some Mh's who use Aqua Rolls) and their cassettes. These cutting up the area,till it resembled a quagmire.
The last person to use either of the taps,did not roll it back onto its bracket,so each pipe end fell into this mess.
Bad design ? Yes, but the twice we had been before,it was allways spotless and the site would be full.

You could have got a Table spoon,from your m/home,got down on your knees and cleared it or him,i fear you have now branded all M/homers as.......unhelpfull? LOL
Tea Bag
Only thing I'd have done with the table spoon was to smack him with it!

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
I agree with some of the remarks above. As an ex tugger i would not dream of doing what this ignorant person did. It boils down to the individual not the fact that he has a caravan. To be on the safe side I guess you have to use your own hose

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Typical thick tugger
nothing wrong with tuggers or ex-tuggers. quite a lot of funsters were tuggers at one time,bit harsh IMHO BY the way where did this terminology come from i,e tuggers seems to always be used as a derogative desciption,live and let live I say, nothing wrong with CARAVANNERS, and by the way many a m/homer has been gratefull to a caravanner in the past for towing their FWD m/home off a wet field.

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
nothing wrong with tuggers or ex-tuggers. quite a lot of funsters were tuggers at one time,bit harsh IMHO BY the way where did this terminology come from i,e tuggers seems to always be used as a derogative desciption,live and let live I say, nothing wrong with CARAVANNERS, and by the way many a m/homer has been gratefull to a caravanner in the past for towing their FWD m/home off a wet field.
Agree, and have pulled a moho out of the mud with my 4wd when I was a CARAVANNER!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The terminology is two ways. Tuggers tug their caravan, and us chuggers chug along in our diesel motorhomes. Just banter and no real derogatory connotations, unless it is used in the way that the poster you have quoted does.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back