SORNed (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Makes sense to SORN for now, and to do it before the end of the month else would have to pay for April. Can be un-SORNed in a matter of minutes online anyway, except for the first 5 days after SORNing, but I can't see anything changing in the next 5 days.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I thought trade plates can be used for road tests? so I'm just checking the brakes, gearbox, engine etc. I'm not stopping anywhere just doing a circuit to warm things up and clean the rust off the brakes.
You still need an mot certificate and a trade insurance policy to use trade plates, vehicles on sorn can not be used on the road till taken off sorn ie taxed.
Trade plates are nothing more than a universal tax disc these days and offer nothing else. You cant borrow them or lend them out.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
i assume you do esential work
yep, 3 out the 4 in our household will be working throughout, unfortunately for me the 4th is now at home until at least easter picking paint colours and new furnishings for those days when i have spare time

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
vehicles on sorn can not be used on the road till taken off sorn ie taxed.

This is not correct i have customers who bring cars to my garage daily using trade plates that are all on sorn whilst they are for sale. I have trade plates and they cover us for an untaxed vehicle and you also do not need to register a vehicle in your name if selling the vehicle whilst using trade plates

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
You still need an mot certificate and a trade insurance policy to use trade plates, vehicles on sorn can not be used on the road till taken off sorn ie taxed.
Trade plates are nothing more than a universal tax disc these days and offer nothing else. You cant borrow them or lend them out.
This is not correct i have customers who bring cars to my garage daily using trade plates that are all on sorn whilst they are for sale. I have trade plates and they cover us for an untaxed vehicle and you also do not need to register a vehicle in your name if selling the vehicle whilst using trade plates
Done a bit of searching
You can drive a vehicle on Trade plates if its been registered as trade by sending the yellow v5 section off. You also don't need to sorn it then, probably what the sales guy does. But if is sorned then you are only really covered to drive it to and from an MOT station. Also read if you actually own the vehicle rather than being one for sale or in for repair etc then it doesn't technically cover you.

Theres always a way ;) once this lot blows over then will tax it again anyway but pointless paying 3-6mths tax to sit there. Its on private land and indoors, MOT'd and insured on my traders so the rest is covered.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Call me soft or daft , but the country has virtually bankrupted itself to help either us or our kids get through this mess

if everybody that could, SORNed everything, the government will have to find a few more millions it doesn’t have

I think we can stand to the few pounds that we have actually already paid out in our part of the war effort

just my way of handling things

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
While most insurance policies will cover while on SORN not all do so check small print.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Before you SORN, I suggest you nip down to the fuel station and fill up with diesel (so long as you're not petrol). Filling to the top will reduce condensation in the tank and possible problems when it's time to start up again (next year?).

BishBosh

Free Member
Sep 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Upgrades!!! of course
Just out of interest how much tax is refunded if you sorn a recently purchased motorhome like me when it’s new from last October? So 6 months refunded?

BishBosh

Free Member
Sep 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Upgrades!!! of course
Ok, looked it up and it seems like £22 per month.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think you'll only get a refund for the number of whole months remaining. They'll ignore any extra days.
Too late now, SORN before the end of April.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Straight from gov.uk

When you can drive your vehicle
You can only drive a vehicle with a SORN on a public road to go to or from a pre-booked MOT or other testing appointment. You face court prosecution and a fine of up to £2,500 if you use it on the road for any other reason.

Toe toe

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just done something I never, ever thought I would - have SORNed the motorhome :cry:. It seems so final, but better have the money in the bank rather than sat in storage doing nothing. Never mind, if I manage to get through the next 12 weeks not working, due to having to care for my 90 year old mother who has lung cancer and COPD, I will be dropping another day at work later in the year so we will have 5 days each week to travel.
I sorn ours twice now online and it's still showing taxed is that the same for you we have not had an email confirming it either

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
sorned yesterday so i dont lose this month aswell

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Tried to SORN van, DVLA website would not do it. Succesfully SORN a car and two motorbikes OK. Had the V5 since October 19, had to downrate it and change tax class, this entailed paying six months tax up front. Perhaps that is the reason, anyone else had that problem?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I sorn ours twice now online and it's still showing taxed is that the same for you we have not had an email confirming it either
When I tax ours it can take up to 5 days for it to show on the database, so it's probably the same for SORNing.

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Give the motorhome a 15 minute drive along the dual carriageway and back every couple of weeks to help the tyres settle into a new position and get the engine up to temperature.

Is nobody else doing that? Is that not necessary?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Give the motorhome a 15 minute drive along the dual carriageway and back every couple of weeks to help the tyres settle into a new position and get the engine up to temperature.

Is nobody else doing that? Is that not necessary?
No, ours stands for 5 months a year. Every year ?

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
When I tax ours it can take up to 5 days for it to show on the database, so it's probably the same for SORNing.
Its been taxed since November, but true probably just slow DVLA. Annoying to lose another months tax money.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back