Sorn (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We think and some off you have already sorned your motorhomes but sadly maybe some off you like me have to park on the road so we cant use it or go anywere yet we have no option but to pay tax still on a vehicle we cant use or go any were in were at all sadly so wouldnt you think maybe the give us a amnesty for road tax as they doing for MOT wen it runs out as we not going anywere in the motorhomes

nope

same as you would not get discount off storage

what is it with folk looking for refunds on everything ?

this is nobody’s fault just take the £15 / month as a tiny contribution to the governments massive cash offer to support everybody, apart from maybe the retired who are pretty much protected

Gillygrim

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
Can you explain what you mean by "the retired who are pretty much protected" ? Once again it seems to me that we pensioners are the forgotten generation, told to stay at home as a precaution due to our 'vulnerability' but no consideration given to the extra costs involved in heating a house all day. I've Sorned my motorhome and hope the cancelled Direct Debit will go some way to offset the extra expense. I worked for many years and have a work pension in addition to the state pittance and therefore do not qualify for any State Benefits other than free prescriptions. I consider myself very lucky to be able to afford to own and run my motorhome but there are no doubt countless others who will struggle to stay warm.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Can you explain what you mean by "the retired who are pretty much protected" ? Once again it seems to me that we pensioners are the forgotten generation, told to stay at home as a precaution due to our 'vulnerability' but no consideration given to the extra costs involved in heating a house all day. I've Sorned my motorhome and hope the cancelled Direct Debit will go some way to offset the extra expense. I worked for many years and have a work pension in addition to the state pittance and therefore do not qualify for any State Benefits other than free prescriptions. I consider myself very lucky to be able to afford to own and run my motorhome but there are no doubt countless others who will struggle to stay warm.

Your income is now guaranteed , that was my reference to ‘protected’ and I really can’t see why you have any extra cost associated with CV 19.

then you have a nominal saving of no fuel costs, but that wasn’t really my point, your monthly income should not be affected by this financial maelstrom

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 25, 2019
Dartmouth
Funster No
MH
1990 swift kon tiki
Exp
I,m a newbie
nope

same as you would not get discount off storage

what is it with folk looking for refunds on everything ?

this is nobody’s fault just take the £15 / month as a tiny contribution to the governments massive cash offer to support everybody, apart from maybe the retired who are pretty much protected
I do not look for discounts and resent that attitude towards me my point was if there an amnesty for mot,s why not tax as I MOT,D my motorhome two weeks ago to have it sat there as I only get £90 a week to live dont smoke anymore an dont drink I save every penny I can so can use my van and was looking forward to using it as took me three years off doing without to buy it have never asked anyone at all for anything always struggled myself without asking for any refund was just making a point

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
I'm adding to the list of SORN vehicles:crying1:. Definitely will not be going anywhere in April, or at least until this pandemic has blown over.

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Mine done too, may as well have done it last October but was away for new year. It will have to sit a little longer, had thought of taking car off and just using van for tootling around, but cant do that either, so will use car as and when necessary instead. May have a picnic in van....

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I sorned my motorbike at the start of winter as I wasn't using it.
When I informed the insurer they said i was not able to have it covered as it was less than 25 years old. It's actually a 2011 Triumph Tiger 750 which I bought new.
I believe it's to do with people putting their bikes on sorn and then they get "stolen" or "damaged" whilst in storage and a claim is made. The bike is then sold for parts to not so honest people.

It would be worth a call to your insurers to check out the level of cover before you take any other action.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Your income is now guaranteed ,
your monthly income should not be affected by this financial maelstrom
This is the very point about generalisations. I am "retired " dont get my staTe pension pension till next year some company pensions start this month others eg pru on drawdown has just lost 22% ( not looking again for a while). There are other threads about how dramatic this is for some people. I am not complaining just stating we are all affected

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Just SORNd mine, only taxed for a month, bit concerned about leaving her sitting for several months, I understand the advice is NOT to start the engine and allow to idle up to “normal “ operating temperature. What do you think?

No, don't startup your van and warm it up by idling.
This will cause the cylinder bores to have much more wear than would be the case otherwise.
This is because when the bores are cold they are usually oval and only become round once the engine has got to operating temperature. I'm only talking of maybe 0.05mm or so but it's enough once you consider the piston rings are scraping up and down and the combustion is flaming on and off the surfaces etc.
Crank bearings also will not like a slow warm up.
If you need to give it a run start it and move away directly.
Also oils are designed to work at operating temperature and although there are additives to reduce cold wear it still takes place.

Giving your van a run once a month is a little bit of a misnomer IMHO.
Modern engines with modern oils do not deteriorate over longish periods of storage.
Of course other things do like condensation/mold and rodents chewing the wires etc. can happen and batteries left for say 2 months will deteriorate.
Modern polymers in brake caliper seals etc. do not age very fast these days.

Opinions differ but there is no need to worry about the tyres getting flats on them. Even if they do the flats will smooth out over the first mile or so of your new journey.
I once left my car for a month and found the above to be true , tyres like thupney bits but only for a short time.
Agilis camping tyres are specifically made with standing in mind.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Just SORNd mine, only taxed for a month, bit concerned about leaving her sitting for several months, I understand the advice is NOT to start the engine and allow to idle up to “normal “ operating temperature. What do you think?
Doesn't the non starting and idling depend on the age of the vehicle.?
I was under the impression that older diesel engine types would not suffer unlike newer engines, with many engine management facilities .
Isn't it something to do with the diesel particulate filter?

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
If a vehicle is SORNed, do you have to go to the post office still to retax it does anyone know? Used to a few years ago, and thinking might be a delay if we all have to turn up at the post office?

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
No, do it instantly online, with the reference number off the V5 document

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Tried to sorn van on v5c2w form wont let me,tried ringing no answer should I cancel direct debit your help please

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
You should be able to SORN, online, by using the 11 digit number on your V5 document. If it is a new to you vehicle it is a 12 digit number

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
One thing I have discovered - 'something' flattened my engine battery whenever I left the van for 6 weeks or so - so the last time I left it I disconnected the earth lead, and it worked - engine started first time (y)

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
I'd already SORN our PVC as going no where at the moment, so thinking about that, as we are only using one car now we've SORN wife's car and both Harleys.

Can't see any reason to keep them taxed for the road if they're going no where near a road in the near future! :giggle:

Mick

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Many different opinions on this thread, but it would seem the DVLA is doing a brilliant job, with online systems which make the option to sorn a simple process

Well done DVLA

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Our tax was due tomorrow so did mine today. Called Comfort to check all OK, not covered to drive it on the road whilst still SORN so must remember to tax it once this is all over. :rolleyes:

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Disappointing to have to do it, as it makes it seem so final, but as even the most optimistic view is campsites are all closed till May, there will be no use for the van. As individual costs are going to be squeezed, even a saving of £22 if it's just a month had to be worth getting and the online SORN process proved to be so easy.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had a quick run out today for a little bit of shopping and dropped an anniversary card and bottle of plonk off at in-laws as we virtually pass by their house on the way, so now it's back home tucked up on the drive so I've SORNed it as it ain't gonna be going anywhere for a while. :rolleyes:

We've left the scooter though in case we need it as a backup if the car has issues etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back