Sorn (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
Ours has been on SORN since last October. I did move it a couple of days ago, back into it’s normal parking position on our driveway where it is easier to manoeuvre our cars. Had to move it a couple of weeks ago away from the house when we lost a tile off our roof in the high winds, luckily missed MH by a couple of metres.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Do you still get the refund by cheque? If so how long are they valid for?

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Are you allowed to SORN if the vehicle is stored in a storage location which is not the R/K's address - anyone please??

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Are you allowed to SORN if the vehicle is stored in a storage location which is not the R/K's address - anyone please??

We have, insurance company know where MH is stored. I rang them to check we were still insured fully and they confirmed this.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
[/provided its off road you can sorn i would check with your storage whether they require vehicle to be taxedQUOTE]

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
I thought about it but it somehow seems completely wrong to be taking any money from the government at this time unless absolutely desperate ⚠

You won't be taking money away, just getting a re-fund on what you paid, no need to pay for what you do not use.

I have done mine today, although I was thinking of leaving it, as I think that a near 3.5 ton vehicle standing still on four wheels/tyres may have the tendency for the tyres to have what I would call flat spots where the constant standing is applied. If I lived on a flat or near flat surface then I would happily jack the van up and turn the wheels, but I live on a slope, rather the van is parked on my driveway which is sloped, hence any form of jacking up may have a chance of proving a dangerous adventure. Yes I have it chocked with bricks but there will still be movemento_O:confused:

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Finally plucked up the courage done mine today. So quick and easy.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Had no choice - MOT expires tomorrow, cancelled test booked for yesterday - it's SORN or get done for no tax or no SORN - and no 6 month 'holiday'...

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You won't be taking money away, just getting a re-fund on what you paid, no need to pay for what you do not use.

Just where do you presume the refund is paid from ?

the coffers are empty, call me soft but I am leaving mine in the war chest , these are really bad times it’s the least we can do

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
Checked with scenic insurance...if sorned then cover changes from fully comp to 3rd part fire and theft....any damage incurred whilst on our drive would not be covered so left as is.....also a part of me that agrees with davidg58.....for the relatively small amount we will get back I think the country needs it more right now.

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
Just where do you presume the refund is paid from ?

the coffers are empty, call me soft but I am leaving mine in the war chest , these are really bad times it’s the least we can do

I have a car and motorbike still taxed but not using. The car tax is more than the van. I do not see the sense in wasting money if it is not being used to any good effect, the van can wait, car and bike left for emergency use.

The amount of money in refunds is a penny drop in the Ocean, and will not make any jot of difference. The Government will get the money back by either higher tax, and re-payments of the loans (which they are and will be) from those who have received them.

I was self employed for over 30 years, just me, no backup, paid stamp duty paid my tax, paid for my pension, and my wife, also saved. That did not leave me with much to spare. So I am cautious with money.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

I have done mine today, although I was thinking of leaving it, as I think that a near 3.5 ton vehicle standing still on four wheels/tyres may have the tendency for the tyres to have what I would call flat spots where the constant standing is applied. If I lived on a flat or near flat surface then I would happily jack the van up and turn the wheels, but I live on a slope, rather the van is parked on my driveway which is sloped, hence any form of jacking up may have a chance of proving a dangerous adventure. Yes I have it chocked with bricks but there will still be movemento_O:confused:
Your tyres will be fine, ours is SORNed for 5 months a year and never moves ?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Is the max SORN refund you can get 6 months?
I did get an e-mail from Comfort last week advising me to keep the van insurance and not cancel it, which I thought was good advice just in case its nicked or sustains some storm damage etc.
Then I realised why they sent out the e-mail, as I had read that some were Sorning their vans then cancelling their van insurance, and were attempting to include the van on their home insurance, as a separate all risks item.
I dont think this is good advice,surely once the home insurance company was advised of its value, it would probably be just as expensive as the cancelled MH insurance costs.?
Happy to learn otherwise, if anyone has done this.
LES

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I SORNED ours yesterday. You get refunded for each full month you have taxed your vehicle for.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back