sorn scam! (1 Viewer)

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I was SO nearly scammed as I tried to SORN my Moho just now!
Googled SORN
Results came up with SORN intructions at top of google results page.
Clicked on this - thinking it was gov.uk site and followed the instructions as normal.
Only at the last page did it request a payment of £27.50 to carry out the SORN!!!!
I then looked at the address bar and saw it had nothing to do with gov.uk site at all.
Closed the site immediately.
I then sorned in the usual way (gov.uk), no cost.
Has anybody been caught out by this i wonder?

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Unfortunately there are lots of sites like this about, for Passports, road tax, driving licences etc, even for the crit air type sites.

They're not really scams, as everything is above board, it is up to the user to check exactly who they are dealing with.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Use DuckDuckGo as your search engine - probably won't stop all the scams but you know it won't be tracking your every move like Google. And yes, technically being tricked into paying for something that you could get for free (well, nearly free, as it is your tax that funds the service in the first place) is not a Scam but it is pretty shabby behaviour.

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
Use DuckDuckGo as your search engine - probably won't stop all the scams but you know it won't be tracking your every move like Google. And yes, technically being tricked into paying for something that you could get for free (well, nearly free, as it is your tax that funds the service in the first place) is not a Scam but it is pretty shabby behaviour.
On DuckDuckGo the gov.uk site is top of the list when I search for "Sorn". I don't understand why people use Google search (and I'm typing this on a Google phone).

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Have just emailed AIB to confirm no issue with MH being sorn'd.

Maybe a saga as auto reply is unhelpful.

Will advise.

May 23, 2019
Norfolkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2019
Had the same thing yesterday as I had to renew my driving licence. Put the gov.uk address into the search engine and it came up with a site that wanted to charge me double the cost for the privilege of using them. I binned that and went to the correct DVLA site in the end. It pays to make sure you have the correct site.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
I got scammed trying to cancel my virgin media tv , internet and phone. Got so frustrated trying to ring them I tried to cancel it online. Came across a clone of Virgin Media website. For £1. 40. they would take care of cancellation. Paid the amount and received a template for a letter to send to virgin. Laughed at this but not too concerned with being scammed for 1.50. A few months later scrutinised my bank statement, they had been taking £27 a month out.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Good News.

Had a phone call and email from AIB confirming MH is covered as per your insurance as if taxed.

Full marks to AIB for following up with both as confirmation is recorded in both voice recording and writing.

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Have just emailed AIB to confirm no issue with MH being sorn'd.

Maybe a saga as auto reply is unhelpful.

Will advise.

Any reason why it wouldn't be? Two of my vehicles have been sorned on and off over the past couple of years, not always connected with lockdown.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Any reason why it wouldn't be? Two of my vehicles have been sorned on and off over the past couple of years, not always connected with lockdown.

No

Was for those who have doubts, Been a few posts and comments about possible insurance issues vis vehicle not being "Road Worthy" if not taxed.

Can't see why a lower risk situation for an insurance company would be an issue, however given the investment, never hurts to be sure.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I got scammed trying to cancel my virgin media tv , internet and phone. Got so frustrated trying to ring them I tried to cancel it online. Came across a clone of Virgin Media website. For £1. 40. they would take care of cancellation. Paid the amount and received a template for a letter to send to virgin. Laughed at this but not too concerned with being scammed for 1.50. A few months later scrutinised my bank statement, they had been taking £27 a month out.
It's a shame. £1.50 for getting someone to deal with Virgin Media for you would have been a bargain!

OP
OP
steve69
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I just typed Sorn into Google, gov site was top of the list.
As I found, that is not always the case....I just assumed it was gov.uk because it appeared very similar to their website. The form was little bit different, but then these "forms" change all the time, so went along with it.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
As I found, that is not always the case....I just assumed it was gov.uk because it appeared very similar to their website. The form was little bit different, but then these "forms" change all the time, so went along with it.
what was the url of the site you're trying to warn us about? :think:
How similar to a gov.uk one is it?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Is this a reproduction of the OP search:
1609770686182.png

Where the top 'hit' is an ad.
But the 1st search item is the real gov.uk site?

That top ad is likely to catch a few people out. imo

edit: fwiw, no ad for the same search via bing ;)

OP
OP
steve69
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
what was the url of the site you're trying to warn us about? :think:
How similar to a gov.uk one is it?

When I googled again, that site had mysteriously disappeared, and the gov.uk one was then at the top!
Like I said - it seems like a scam and google are in on it!

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
When I googled again, that site had mysteriously disappeared, and the gov.uk one was then at the top!
Like I said - it seems like a scam and google are in on it!
Doesn't look like Google are on it.
More likely it's a feature of searches that an ad isn't repeated for the same search.

That's based on me refreshing the Chrome page that I took that screen shot of and the ad removing.

Then opening a new browser (edge) and getting the ad back.
Refreshing the Edge search session also cleared the ad.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back