Jan 3, 2020
Mile Oak, Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 98
Exp
Since 2008
So ...
during this difficult time I have a couple of vehicles (Motorhome included) that are not going to get and used for the foreseeable.

They are fully road Legal, with MOT, Tax and Insurance. All registered to me.
They are parked off road..On my property.

I am considering SORN before the start of April as they are taxed monthly by DD.

What I am struggling to ascertain is...

" Will the Insurance still be valid"?

It would only be needed in case of fire or theft I guess.

Checking my Policies it states the vehicles must be kept Road Legal and Roadworthy.

If a car is SORN naturally it cant be used..so is it still insured??

Any thoughts appreciated.............

Cheers
Clemmo

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just sorning 2 of mine I assumed there wouldn't be any problems

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
So ...
during this difficult time I have a couple of vehicles (Motorhome included) that are not going to get and used for the foreseeable.

I am considering SORN before the start of April as they are taxed monthly by DD.

Checking my Policies it states the vehicles must be kept Road Legal and Roadworthy.

Cheers
Clemmo
I have a Track/road car it is often sorned and no issue with the insurance sometimes it’s taxed and has an MOT but when it’s off road in the workshop it just sits there I don’t have to contact the insurance company but suggest you may want to notify them but not sure they worry too much.

just to add if it is long term storage eg a year or so it may be worth getting insurance for that but otherwise you will be paying admin fees

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
I’m with scenic insurance....phoned them and advised if sorned the cover changes from comprehensive to third party fire and theft...initially thought as not on road it wouldn’t matter but on reflection if turning other car in driveway and hit motorhome it might be expensive, vandalism, tile off roof hitting it etc etc. For the relatively small saving I’m leaving as is.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
No it does not effect your cover, if the MOT expires during the SORN period, provided an appointment has been made with an MOT station , the vehicle is road legal for that journey,

OP
OP
C
Jan 3, 2020
Mile Oak, Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 98
Exp
Since 2008
I’m with scenic insurance....phoned them and advised if sorned the cover changes from comprehensive to third party fire and theft...initially thought as not on road it wouldn’t matter but on reflection if turning other car in driveway and hit motorhome it might be expensive, vandalism, tile off roof hitting it etc etc. For the relatively small saving I’m leaving as is.
No it does not effect your cover, if the MOT expires during the SORN period, provided an appointment has been made with an MOT station , the vehicle is road legal for that journey,

As you can see..opinions vary!
Maybe best to accept the cost and then have no worries over it(y)

Clemmo

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As you can see..opinions vary!
Maybe best to accept the cost and then have no worries over it(y)

Clemmo
Insurance companies will have different terms and conditions. You would need to contact your company for a definitive answer. If there is anyone in to answer of course. :)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Insurance companies will have different terms and conditions. You would need to contact your company for a definitive answer. If there is anyone in to answer of course. :)
And contact by e-mail for possible proof if anything happens ?

OP
OP
C
Jan 3, 2020
Mile Oak, Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 98
Exp
Since 2008
We are with Comfort as are many on here..
just found this on the Policy details.. so problem solved for MH

"Your motorhome must at all times have a valid MOT certificate (unless not required due to age of the vehicle) and current UK Road Fund Licence."

Feb 6, 2014
suffolk
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Yes Clemmo, that’s correct to use on the public highway. If unused off the public road you do not require road tax. I sorn my mh every year for six months when unused but stored in my garden.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I have several motorcycles and a van as well as the motorhome. When away with the motor home I sorn the vehicles I won't be using while we're away and I sorn the mh when it's at home and not going to be driven. Last year I had an accident in France and the mh was taken to a French repair shop dealer for repair. Once I realised it was going to be with them for a while I sorned it. The insurance never questioned it and still paid out.

Apr 30, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
A/S Clubman
This is caravan guard today.
9C84B16A-1543-4CCA-B481-9F5C07C1CE27.jpeg

Feb 5, 2019
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick xl
Exp
Lots 15 year's caravans, now camperVan
Comforts web page does state , it is fully insured off road SORN as long as you have an upto date policy. Take a look on their web page
Once the registered keeper of the vehicle has made a SORN, whilst there is no longer a legal requirement to insure the vehicle, you can maintain your Comfort Insurance motor policy. In fact, because motorhomes and campervans are highly expensive, with the typical price being in region of £60K-£70K, it is highly recommended that fully comprehensive motorhome insurance cover is maintained at all times, even if the you have no immediate intention of taking your vehicle out on the road. There are several key reasons for this recommendation:

Vehicle Damage – Should your motorhome or campervan be damaged whilst it’s off the road, you’ll still need insurance cover to get it repaired.

Theft – Vehicles left unused for extended periods of time are sadly targets for thieves. Without insurance cover in place, should your vehicle be stolen or damaged whilst someone attempts to steal it, then you’ll be out of pocket. If your vehicle is being purchased on credit, the credit company will insist that the vehicle is comprehensively insured. If your vehicle has been purchased on credit and it’s not insured and it is damaged or stolen, not only will you have to pay for the loss yourself, you’ll continue to be liable to pay any outstanding finance on the vehicle.

Storage Site Requirements – Many off-site storage facilities stipulate in their terms and conditions that you must maintain insurance whilst your vehicle is being stored. This is to protect you should your vehicle cause damage to somebody else’s property whilst on site.

Additional Benefits – In addition to providing cover for your motorhome or campervan, your Comfort Insurance policy includes cover for accessories e.g. awnings and generators and also legal expenses cover. These additional covers are of benefit to you even whilst your vehicle is being kept off road.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
That is the exact situation with my track/road car in fact any vehicle can be driven to a place of repair even if does fail an MOT. Some vehicle workshops do not have MOT facilities they take the vehicle to the testing station and they are allowed to take back to repair before re presenting owners can take a vehicle home and repair it there before re submitting for an MOT. To and fro the testing station is perfectly legitimate ?

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
As @DBKsays it will vary from insurer to insurer and even policy to policy. Only 2 sure ways, don't SORN or get written confirmation.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
So ...

Cheers
Clemmo
From Comfort Insurance - sorry, already posted:blush:
Coronavirus – Do I Need Insurance If I SORN My Motorhome Or Campervan?
March 23, 2020 | Uncategorized
As the spread of the Coronavirus reaches pandemic proportions, some customers may be considering applying for a Statutory Off Road Notice (SORN) particularly if they have no immediate plans to use their vehicle on the road.
Once the registered keeper of the vehicle has made a SORN, whilst there is no longer a legal requirement to insure the vehicle, you can maintain your Comfort Insurance motor policy. In fact, because motorhomes and campervans are highly expensive, with the typical price being in region of £60K-£70K, it is highly recommended that fully comprehensive motorhome insurance cover is maintained at all times, even if the you have no immediate intention of taking your vehicle out on the road. There are several key reasons for this recommendation:
Vehicle Damage – Should your motorhome or campervan be damaged whilst it’s off the road, you’ll still need insurance cover to get it repaired.
Theft – Vehicles left unused for extended periods of time are sadly targets for thieves. Without insurance cover in place, should your vehicle be stolen or damaged whilst someone attempts to steal it, then you’ll be out of pocket. If your vehicle is being purchased on credit, the credit company will insist that the vehicle is comprehensively insured. If your vehicle has been purchased on credit and it’s not insured and it is damaged or stolen, not only will you have to pay for the loss yourself, you’ll continue to be liable to pay any outstanding finance on the vehicle.
Storage Site Requirements – Many off-site storage facilities stipulate in their terms and conditions that you must maintain insurance whilst your vehicle is being stored. This is to protect you should your vehicle cause damage to somebody else’s property whilst on site.
Additional Benefits – In addition to providing cover for your motorhome or campervan, your Comfort Insurance policy includes cover for accessories e.g. awnings and generators and also legal expenses cover. These additional covers are of benefit to you even whilst your vehicle is being kept off road.
Keeping your vehicle secure whilst it’s off road
Whilst your vehicle is off road, we highly recommend that you review your vehicle security arrangements to help prevent it being stolen.
I checked with comfort insurance

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
SORN and insurance are not related. SORN says you will not be using the vehicle, nor will it be kept on the highway. To park it on the public highway a vehicle must be taxed. The only thing you can do with a vehicle while it is untaxed is drive it straight to a local MOT station where you have made an appointment and directly back to where it is stored. Insurance is insurance and subject to whatever terms the company imposes. I can't imagine anyone being daft enough not to keep a valuable motorhome well insured, no matter how secure the storage.

Nov 22, 2014
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Do not own one, but I dri
Exp
I`m a newbie
For the avoidance of doubt and misunderstanding one cannot drive an uninsured vehicle to an M.O.T. point.

Jun 4, 2019
North licolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
So ...

Cheers
Clemmo
We sorned our last week. Both tax and insurance due 2nd April. Renewed insurance with same cover but less mileage so £50 cheaper. We are with comfort and they know it is sorn and said most people doing this but dropping mileage. The good thing is bills won't come in all at once next year.

Beatrice

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 597
Exp
Since 1995
We have SORN ours, got a cheque through in days. As said above we won’t get all the bills in together.

Mar 15, 2018
Wrexham, UK
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis LH drive
Exp
since 1979
Does not matter if mot expires as of now all vehicles that expire are allowed to be used for 6 months so long as kept roadworthy new rule for coronavirus

May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
Tax due tomorrow so sorned. Obviously have kept insurance. Fingers crossed it will be for a short time before we are out and about again.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
SORNed mine yesterday after receiving the email from Comfort.

But beware - I had mine on automatic renewal of the road fund licence, the SORN notification told me that this is now cancelled so I'll have to remember to set it up again when we get back on the road.

Insurance due shortly - that'll kill a few hours of boredom - but MoT not until December.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back