Sorn if on site for 3 months? (1 Viewer)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Of course, everyone is forgetting the anpr cameras at the ports that will know when your vehicle leaves the country and when it comes back. Assuming they are working and linked to dvla, and probably insurance databases, they might even be able to check you haven't overstayed your period of insurance abroad!
Probably....
Did I not mention this, back in post #8 :whistle:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
If you Sorn a vehicle, for any reason, how does that affect the Insurance?
If the vehicle isn't MoT'd the Insurance is affected so does the same happen with road tax?

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
If you Sorn a vehicle, for any reason, how does that affect the Insurance?

It then does not have to be insured.

If the vehicle isn't MoT'd the Insurance is affected so does the same happen with road tax?

Yes, but as far as I can ascertain the insurance company are obliged to cover 3rd party.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
s20hymer
Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
Yes that is right, only covered third party if not taxed (y)

My car, which is SORNed & in the garage, is still insured, will now check with the insurers tmorrow, if it's only 3rd party that still covers it for Fire & Theft, after all if it's just sitting not much chance of it being involved in a road accident. As for the M/home, thanks for all the input, much appreciated & noted. Mike

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
My car, which is SORNed & in the garage, is still insured, will now check with the insurers tmorrow, if it's only 3rd party that still covers it for Fire & Theft, after all if it's just sitting not much chance of it being involved in a road accident. As for the M/home, thanks for all the input, much appreciated & noted. Mike

I am sure your insurance will be fully comp whilst S.O.R.N. And stored in accordance with your policy.

My answer was if the vehicle was driven on the road whilst Either S.O.R.N. Or not taxed,but it is worth checking if you are worried (y)

The thread got a bit sidetracked :rolleyes:

:LOL: (y)

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Swidy, you can do the research as easy as me...
I think the original questions has been answer many times with proof of fact. if there is a presumption no one has come forward with and proof that it exists and boy have we exhausted this thread. as I put 19 posts ago:
(the original post which was (Wondering if it is possible to Sorn the Motorhome if parked up on a site abroad for 3 months, has anyone done this ?) Two questions 1st answer is NO and the 2nd answer is YES Simples, :banghead:)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
How do you know this? Especially as now there is no tax disc.

Don't know why, but I had a 'thing' for tax discs in Europe. I couldn't look at a Brit van without looking at the tax disc. Yes I would see a few out of date, you'd see a few with nothing. But the vast majority would be displaying the correct disc.
Yep can't pass one without running it through the computer.:LOL:
Alicante earlier, 3 on sorn, 3 tax has expired recently, 2 last taxed in 2007 , 1 last taxed in 2011 & 1 the plates aren't related to the pick up they are on ??:LOL:
& people ask why I get annoyed !

If you are somewhere policed so heavily that you are told to turn an alarm LED off; then I think You probably don't need to lock the doors.

• If all else fails; Very loud Internal Sirens will limit loss.
No to the first part & the second is 100% definitely illegal here. Not that it would bother me.

Just be aware that " 3rd party " is not "3rd party fire & theft " they are two different levels of cover.
" 3rd" party is basically barely more than " Road traffic acts" which is the absolute minimum that an insurer can legally issue as cover & offers protection only to anyone/thing that might have a claim against the insured. In fact I'm not even sure there is a difference these days.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
What a marvellous discussion. I think the conclusion is "No!" However many people seem to rely on the fact that authorities are unlikely to pick up on such problems, which is their choice. As I understand it, France and other countries are beginning to link up with each others systems, after years of incompatibilities. As for ANPR cameras at the dock, I have yet to hear of prosecutions being taken up.... yet. One reason could be that there may be a short period of grace after returning to the UK, to obtain documentation. On the other hand I could be completely wrong. What I will add is, do not leave your M/H on a site overseas unattended for any period of time if you value your insurance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back