Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I wonder why makers do not actually try out their vans before putting them on sale.
Mine has two cupboards above the twin beds at the rear, every time I get up or try and roll over in the dark I forget and BANG!. The head hits said impediment to movement. I am now looking into removing the one on my side as it is really a pain in the head. I would not have taken much to raise the base a few inches so that they actually clear the head of the person sleeping there. My fault as I had a choice of which model , high garage or low garage, I chose the high one to get the bike into the back. Big mistake should have got the low one. It would not have taken much of a roadtest to discover it. MMM's editor did mention it on his extended road test but I did not worry as I am only little and thought it would not affect me, I should have taken more notice.

Another thing is why does my posting suddenly disappear in a peculiar text of squiggles and IT blurb when I accidentally hit a key to the side of the keyboard, It only happens at the end of a longer rant, never at the beginning , the whole lot goes and it all goes pink and blue text with hieroglyphics that means nothing' Lose the lot and not recoverable, most annoying.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How tall are you? Seriously ...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume this is the one with the low garage:

and this is the one with the high garage like you have?

6227932-hymer-ml-t-580-4x4-6.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Yes those are the ones, the low bed would have been better inside but not the garage, I would like to have an adjustable height one that could be moved up and down as required. But having paid the money I took my choice. I now go to the front bed and wife uses back one. I am a shorty at 5' 61/2"

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
You must have a big head if you hit them turning over, or does the pictures make it look higher

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
What about making a false 'headboard' to go at the head end so that you are actually pushed away from being under the cupboard itself ... or alterantively a thick square cushion, something like this, which you can put behind you, again which will push you forward.

I'm thinking of something like the below:

Link Removed

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...ållö-seat-cushion-outdoor-beige-art-50261660/

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I would definetly have gone for the high bed with garage for bike.So you need to drink more so you sleep more soundly!:xsmile:

Or wear your bike helmet!:xrofl:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Actually it's just dawned on me ... do you have some extra cushions for the middle of the bed, ie for when you want to make it into a double?

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
What about making a false 'headboard' to go at the head end so that you are actually pushed away from being under the cupboard itself ... or alterantively a thick square cushion, something like this, which you can put behind you, again which will push you forward.

I'm thinking of something like the below:

Link Removed

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...ållö-seat-cushion-outdoor-beige-art-50261660/

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It came with a cushion to go there but it make it really short, I will remain up the front from now on.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Yes those are the ones, the low bed would have been better inside but not the garage, I would like to have an adjustable height one that could be moved up and down as required. But having paid the money I took my choice. I now go to the front bed and wife uses back one. I am a shorty at 5' 61/2"
Can't you just sleep the other way round?!

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Actually it's just dawned on me ... do you have some extra cushions for the middle of the bed, ie for when you want to make it into a double?
We do have the centre board extra with the mattress but it make for a big climb up a narrow ladder that they made to short by 5" that I had to add probably one for the low bed by mistake, I have to climb on the table for the front dropdown.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I do understand what you mean about designers not using their products though, this is the layout of the bed in our Globecar, we're supposed to sleep transversely with our heads next to the window on the van's offside, but we prefer to have a proper solid 'headboard' and be able to look out of the window in a morning whilst having our cuppa so sleep with our heads under the large locker on the nearside ... as you can imagine we bash our bonces quite a bit!!! Why they didn't put the shorter locker at the opposite side so how we use it was the 'norm' I don't know! I keep threatening to reduce the large locker so we can fit under it better ... !!!

bed.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We do have the centre board extra with the mattress but it make for a big climb up a narrow ladder that they made to short by 5" that I had to add probably one for the low bed by mistake, I have to climb on the table for the front dropdown.
I was wondering if you could adapt the extra mattress to make the 'cushion headboard' I've been mentioning ...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Found these ....

s-l1600.jpg

Link Removed

And this:

s-l1600.jpg

Link Removed

Just came across these too .... :xgrin:

s-l1600.jpg

Link Removed

Link Removed

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Found these ....

s-l1600.jpg

Link Removed

And this:

s-l1600.jpg

Link Removed

Just came across these too .... :xgrin:

s-l1600.jpg

Link Removed

Link Removed
I like the second picture .... at least if @GWAYGWAY bangs his head she could rub it better.

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
Another thing is why does my posting suddenly disappear in a peculiar text of squiggles and IT blurb when I accidentally hit a key to the side of the keyboard, It only happens at the end of a longer rant, never at the beginning , the whole lot goes and it all goes pink and blue text with hieroglyphics that means nothing' Lose the lot and not recoverable, most annoying.

I learned that lesson the hard way too :-( If I am doing a long post, and assuming I am on the computer and not my phone, I type it in Word, then when it is right - or as right as I am likely to get it - I just Copy and Paste it into the post.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I like the second picture .... at least if @GWAYGWAY bangs his head she could rub it better.
Much nicer than my so called wife who just moans at me for making a fuss, No sympathy until she did the same on the other side and I laughed instead.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Much nicer than my so called wife who just moans at me for making a fuss, No sympathy until she did the same on the other side and I laughed instead.
... and when do you get your plaster cast off ...:xgrin:

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Sex would be virtually impossible with those cupboards there and a low roof unless the centre vent was used like a tank hatch, regardless who was rubbing my head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back