Sooooooo was I in the wrong? (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
So, on one of our nights away we booked into Scurrival campsite on the Isle of Barra. This was to test the EHU etc and an opportunity to fill up the freshwater and use the CDP etc. Its a great site and Angus the owner was amazing, great views etc.
We set up in an empty space and about an hour later there was a tap at the door and a lady asked if we had seen Angus already as we were on their spot?

Now for those never having been to the site it's basically a split level field with the lower half supplied with EHU and the upper mainly for non EHU and tents, there's no formal marking system or pitches anywhere, just the EHU 4 gang hookups so its up to you to be sensible, which we were.

I said that we had indeed parked and then seen Angus and paid up etc and he didn't say anything about the spot being taken (as i say there's no markings anywhere) and she said that she'd left their 2 cooler boxes against the fence, I had said to the wife earlier about them being there and assumed that someone had either dumped them or forgotton them. they did look grotty to be honest and I assumed they were unclaimed.

I did offer to move to be fair but she declined the offer.

So, was I in the wrong, is there some form of etiquette I've overlooked in regards to pitches?

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Motorhome Pitch marker

We bought one of those yellow plastic A boards for £7 from another site, but you get the idea.

If you are in one of those unregulated sites and you want the same pitch back when you return after a day out, then you need to have some sort of a sign to say it's your pitch.
Yes Id been thinking about something along those lines and wasn't going to bother as want to mainly wild anyway but for the sake of less than a tenner I think I shall get one anyway for such an occasion not ive had this experience

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
So, on one of our nights away we booked into Scurrival campsite on the Isle of Barra. This was to test the EHU etc and an opportunity to fill up the freshwater and use the CDP etc. Its a great site and Angus the owner was amazing, great views etc.
We set up in an empty space and about an hour later there was a tap at the door and a lady asked if we had seen Angus already as we were on their spot?

Now for those never having been to the site it's basically a split level field with the lower half supplied with EHU and the upper mainly for non EHU and tents, there's no formal marking system or pitches anywhere, just the EHU 4 gang hookups so its up to you to be sensible, which we were.

I said that we had indeed parked and then seen Angus and paid up etc and he didn't say anything about the spot being taken (as i say there's no markings anywhere) and she said that she'd left their 2 cooler boxes against the fence, I had said to the wife earlier about them being there and assumed that someone had either dumped them or forgotton them. they did look grotty to be honest and I assumed they were unclaimed.

So, was I in the wrong, is there some form of etiquette I've overlooked in regards to pitches?
If she declined your offer to move why did she bother to knock on your door and disturb you? Seems a bit pointless to me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

If items are against a hedge and not obvious, I'd not consider the area reserved.

I'm not clear what she was expecting by knocking on your door and saying that you were on their spot. Nothing to worry about IMHO.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We pick up our first motorhome tomorrow, I've never heard of this, but it's good to know for the future (already bought my yellow plastic sign)
I bought our first reserved sign at the Harrogate show, been motorhoming for donkey's

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I just enlarge and encapsulate a photo of the front of the van and make up my own sign with a bit of ply and a stake to hammer into the ground👍😊

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
This is what we use £3.00 for step from Lidl and £10 for no plate, Dee uses the step to get in the rear of the van when we are on site and it’s left in place when we trip out.
77F8658F-F5A4-49B0-8781-D8B164549522.jpeg

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Had one of those yellow sign things in the van we bought. Dumped it in the garden shed as we knew for a long time we would only be using sites that have defined #ered hard standings.
When we know we may do the field thing it will go back in the van. Unless we have a toad that is then no need to move the van.

Why don't you ask her nice and politely why she bothered knocking. Strange.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I used to leave my red fire bucket (CCC etc) with my reg number in large print but someone nicked it on a campsite in France,

Gordon

The pitch was still mine!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
try Shell island on a bank holiday that will be an education of how to reserve a itch or 2 or 3 or 4..............................No one warned me until it was too late :eek:

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
In no way were you wrong PaulC70 .
How were you to know that these “grotty looking” cool boxes were outlining an area of a returning van.
As you say, you thought they had either been discarded or forgotten, which is a fair assumption.
However, from my own opinion only, had I seen them, and the state they may have appeared in, I may have been inclined to ignore that pitch , only on the basis that if that is the state of how a previous occupant left it, what else might be left in the grass after they had gone, ie bottle tops, fag ends, other bits of litter or discarded food, bones etc.
I am not saying they had , or did or would, but it might put me off setting up on an area where it MAY have looked as if the previous occupants perhaps could not have cared less.
Glad you had a nice time away anyway.👍
Did your new BBQ stand up to expectations and how do you like your new van?
😊😊😊

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I thought everyone knew a cool box in the hedge was pitch reserved.
two cool boxs in the hedge pitch reserved for two nights and so on
obvious really :doh:
I see some motorhome and caravan owners mark their pitch with a couple of piles of rubble, an old fridge and a burnt out car.
How long does that mean they are staying ?

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
We pick up our first motorhome tomorrow, I've never heard of this, but it's good to know for the future (already bought my yellow plastic sign)
:welcome4:from Merseyside.
Might be nice to do an introductory threat to let everyone know that you are here.
I see some motorhome and caravan owners mark their pitch with a couple of piles of rubble, an old fridge and a burnt out car.
How long does that mean they are staying ?
Travellers maybe??? :unsure::unsure:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
In no way were you wrong PaulC70 .
How were you to know that these “grotty looking” cool boxes were outlining an area of a returning van.
As you say, you thought they had either been discarded or forgotten, which is a fair assumption.
However, from my own opinion only, had I seen them, and the state they may have appeared in, I may have been inclined to ignore that pitch , only on the basis that if that is the state of how a previous occupant left it, what else might be left in the grass after they had gone, ie bottle tops, fag ends, other bits of litter or discarded food, bones etc.
I am not saying they had , or did or would, but it might put me off setting up on an area where it MAY have looked as if the previous occupants perhaps could not have cared less.
Glad you had a nice time away anyway.👍
Did your new BBQ stand up to expectations and how do you like your new van?
😊😊😊

I hadn't thought about the fact the pitch could have been misused! Bugger.

As for the BBQ (and the chairs for that matter) I lugged everything all the way there, all the way back, didn't even use them!!! Pretty much every day had either rain or wind so we didn't bother. BUT we love the new van!

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
I hadn't thought about the fact the pitch could have been misused! Bugger.

As for the BBQ (and the chairs for that matter) I lugged everything all the way there, all the way back, didn't even use them!!! Pretty much every day had either rain or wind so we didn't bother. BUT we love the new van!
😂😂😂😂😂😂
Sod’s law!
Never mind on the BBQ and Chairs, plenty more time yet.👍
Glad you like the new van though.
Enjoy, and watch out for further “grotty”
Cool boxes 😂

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm surprised no-one asked you what was inside the grotty cool boxes ... we all know you just couldn't resist a peak! :giggle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You offered to move which was declined, nothing to see here, move on 👍

I have an A sign and with a 2 litre milk bottle strung from the centre, filled with water to stop it being blown into the hedge with the cooler boxes. 😎
If you put some yellow colourant in the water you can be sure that no-one will nick your sign! 😁

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back