Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Have got some great collections waiting to be read on this little machine. Recently downloaded every Wilbur Smith novel, never read any of his books, Sian has read everything he's written. I started the other night with "when the lion feeds" Should only take me a couple of years to work through the collection:Eeek:

When it comes to a good story, you cannot replace paper and I don't think a machine ever will, but I have got used to the machine and when you have it on the RV you never worry about running out. Never again will I pay 13.99Euros for a naff £3.99 jack higgins in a dodgy Costa bookshop because I've read everything in the van. :Smile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Jim
Problem with machines is you cant throw your dinner and tea on them.

If you havent got bits of a three course meal spread through the pages in book Its never been read.

Cheers
Jim
:roflmto:

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
We've just bought a Sony too. Just need to find a good download store other that Waterstones.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
agree Jim, have just started using a pda, and getting a few books on there :)

saves loads of payload :ROFLMAO:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Just had a look at this as I not heard of it before, what a clever and space saving item, I had thought the Nintendo DS Lite's new collection of books for this machine was a good idea (although only classics) i nearly bought it for hubby as he enjoys reading but wont share my DS :Blush: Guess I know what to get him for his birthday now :thumb::thumb: saves carting the backpack full of books for any travels next time too :thanks:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
I do most of my reading in the bath, do you think a Sony ereader would be okay there!!!

Will be great when travelling long time, but would need one each otherwise there will be a fight!!!

I will wait a little longer I think for the technology to get better, and the downloads cheaper.

Regards Pat

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
We have a couple of PDA's (Dell Axims) & read ebooks with microsoft reader in LIT format. Loads of free books available & it is possible to create your own from txt, pdf or doc file with free software.
Found it is even possible to read it in bright sunlight, at night if anything it is too bright.

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Just googled "Sony Ebook Reader "

....spotted this:

A new way to enjoy books from Sony and Waterstone’s

errrrrr, Waterstone’s what?

books , coffee, ineptitude, demise of apostrophe usage? ....:Doh:

At this rate we will, in less than 50 years time, have reached the level of monosyllabic grunts.... I think it's called retrograde progression....

:thumb: with the resurgence of 'reading' (paper or cyber) perhaps there is some hope of written and spoken English (writ and spoke like what it should) surviving intact.... yeah, right, init :Doh:

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Just googled "Sony Ebook Reader "

....spotted this:

A new way to enjoy books from Sony and Waterstone’s

errrrrr, Waterstone’s what?

books , coffee, ineptitude, demise of apostrophe usage? ....:Doh:

At this rate we will, in less than 50 years time, have reached the level of monosyllabic grunts.... I think it's called retrograde progression....

:thumb: with the resurgence of 'reading' (paper or cyber) perhaps there is some hope of written and spoken English (writ and spoke like what it should) surviving intact.... yeah, right, init :Doh:

Have a look at Waterstone's Home Page - Welcome to Waterstones.com

You'll see that the apostrophe usage is correct :winky:

I guess the founder / owner was someone named 'Waterstone' and the shop belongs to him/her.

jhbgaiem

Free Member
Jan 28, 2008
Galapagar near Madrid, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Amazon Kindle

It looks like the ebook standard is till to be set. Just like MP3 players before the arrival of itunes.
It looks as if the iTunes of the ebook will be the Kindle from Amazon. The differece between the Kindle and other ebooks is the method that it uses to download books. Instead of an Internet connection it uses a FREE cellphone technology, so that you pay for the book and not the connection and the ability to buy a book anywhere and any time where there is a mobile phone link.
It can also supply newspapers and magazines.
At the moment, the service is only available in the USA and Canada, but it looks sure to arrive in Europe soon.
Just google it and see:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have a couple of PDA's

HTC PDA mobile phone here.

From the start I've been amazed at how readable the 3 inch display is, no problem reading a book. I use Mobipocket.

Also I can let is navigate me or make phone calls or have a game of backgammon !!

I think the PDA approach is most flexible and cost effective.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just seen the New Sony e-reader Touch (PRS-600) and i must say I was impressed with everything (but the price:Eeek:) It lacks a little of the contrast of the older PRS-505 but the page turn is now instant with just a sweep of the finger accross the screen rather than the noisy (in the dead of night) click of the older machines page turn buttons and the subsequent 2 second delay. You can also make notes that stay there on the page you are reading,. Tap a word and a dictionary pops up with a definition! It really is a great way to take hundreds of books away with you.

If anyone bumps into my Mrs between now and Christmas, tell her how impressed i was with the new Sony ebook reader, remember to tell her its the PRS-600::bigsmile:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
There was a touch screen/backlit version of the Sony reader released about a year ago (700 model, I think) but it was very soon discontinued.
That might be available at a more reasonable price but it does make you wonder why it was discontinued.

I must agree, though, that it's a great way to carry hundreds of books (and get them all for free!).

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It was discontinued because the additional layer on the screen to enable the touch features made it suffer from glare and a lack of contrast. The 600 is very readable, so it looks like they have it right.

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Now available ...

The Kindle, available in UK from 19th October.

Too much choice, too many toys ...:thumb:

Richard

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Best thng I have ever bought (Thank you Chris G2EWS for the recommendation) I use it every day on the 1hr each way train journey to work. I also have some audio books on it as well. You can also get newspapers on it. As I try not to read the newspapers I dont bother. If you run into my other half can you tell him I wouldnt mind an upgrade:RollEyes: Forgot to add had it a year now and its still as good as the first day I bought it.

Sonja

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
So - what have we concluded? What's the best one out there now, please?

Please take into account that I wear varifocals and already have probs in artificial light reading eg a magazine on shiny paper. If it's also a coloured background then just forget it, until it's daylight again LOL

We both enjoy reading a lot but books take up a lot of room, plus they are heavy and also hurt when you open lockers and they fall on you. And of course if it's bad weather we'll want to read more than ever and it's just annoying if you haven't got another book or you are waiting for other half to finish it first!

LOL at Wilbur Smith, after the first 53 or so (been through a lot of airports!!) I found it odd that Our Hero whoever he happens to be this time, always takes his shower in the same very precise manner!!! LOL

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I would say get the Sony, but not the touch screen one. Not only is it dearer, the touch screen has a tiny reflection that can be very annoying. Whereas the cheaper version, in any light, is just like looking at a crisp piece of printed paper.:thumb:

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I have a Sony Reader ebook - had it for almost 2 years. I love it. It tells me that I've read 56 books in 18 months. Does this mean I don't have a life? :RollEyes:
I've just had an idea but not sure of its legality. If those of us who have one of these want to share our ebooks I wonder if we can do that without breaching some kind of copyright law. After all there is nothing to stop us sharing second hand paper backs with one another.
Shirley and I both have a reader so of course we only buy each book once.
A tip for anyone who is considering buying one - go into an ordinary bookshop and browse the shelves. Take notes of the one you fancy then look them up on Waterstones site. If you're like me you need to see the real thing and flick through the pages before you can decide if it's for you.
Happy reading!
Mags

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Still debating with myself on this one. Had a look at the pocket prs300 with 5" screen today. £160 but Sony repay the VAT. Anyone got one? Any opinions? I am still unsure about the Kindle, being able to only read books from Amazon worries me a bit, but looking on the websites their books are cheaper. I wonder??? :Doh:

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
ken i bought the rs 350 which is the latest version of the smaller version and supercedes the rs300 the rs350 being sold everywhere for £159 99 but you claim the vat back worth £23.80 from sony and get a £10 voucher if you buy in argos .have to say terrific piece of kit small to carry ,easy to read and this model has the touch feature same as the larger model really glad i bought it my wife has had one for a year the rs 600 but thinks if she had the choice now would buy the 350 due to convenience of size

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I ditched the Sony recently, the books are just so much cheaper on Amazon, and the Kindle screen is 3 times sharper than the touch screen Sony.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Tried the Nintendo and a netbook, then got a Kindle last week, it does the business for me. The screen is perfect, battery lasts a month and its very comfortable and easy to use.

Rgds
Bill

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi all

We bought Kindles they are brilliant, the ease of buying books over Whispernet is fantastic search for a book buy it and then it downloads in the background. If you have books you want to convert use a program called Calibre.

Kevin and Tricia

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have decided to go for a Kindle...

I have just had a serious play with one and the pluses for me are...

The thinness, the non reflective screen (you can read in bright Portuguese sunshine), the massive battery life, the lightness but, and here is the main reason, the permanent free 3G connection in 100 countries allowing you to read reviews and sections of new books anywhere you are likely to go. Of course it is really easy to spend your money (with Amazon) very easily but I believe you can pre-set a limit there too.

You can also, at a push, check your emails (very slowly) on it.

For me... The Kindle Rools ok? :thumb:

JJ

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Being able to download the first couple of chapters of any book is a real plus. The books are delivered so quickly to. Very impressed

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
So there I was just decided.... definitely a Sony PRS-650. Buy with £100 of Tesco vouchers (doubled up to £200) and claim the VAT back (£30) = £70 :Smile: Now folks are all saying Nooo, get the Kindle :Doh: What do I do? Just say stuff it and read real books? Jane :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back