Sometimes I am ashamed to be a Motorhomer. (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Oops. Forgot to post on the OP - they are unbelievable cretins, and sooo short sighted! NOBHEADS like these give our councils all the excuses they need not to have aires in the UK.

That was a rant wasnt it! SORRRY!!

Jon
The insanitary conditions resulting from ignorant "wild" campers were, as @John & Joan reminded us recently, part of the reasoning behind the Public Health Act 1937 and the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960. Hardly surprising that we face more, rather than less, restrictions if so many people continue to be ignorant.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I understand fully what everyone is so cross about and I agree with them and that black water dumping is disgusting but...

...isn't it true that thousands and thousands of people in houses effectively (and unknowingly) dump their black water into the Mediterranean Sea too? I understand that it is one of the most polluted bits of water in the world. The thing is, it gets piped out to sea and no one sees it!

And what about the posh cruise liners?

Do they wait to get back to port until they dump their "stuff"?

I think not...

Just saying like.

JJ :cool:
I guess in that case more EU laws on sewage treatment are being ignored then.......what a surprise :Eeek:

IMO regs on large ship sewage dumping 3 nautical miles from land if 'treated' 12 if raw.
The worst case of dumping I have seen was in Vietnam, Halong Bay and a UNESCO world heritage site.......full of Chinese coal transporters flushing out their coal tanks.

Last edited:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
They were possibly afraid of loosing their prime parking spot if they had moved to empty it. Their must be tons of waste in all those vans the place must be a quagmire smelling like a sewerage treatment plant. If you were to speak to any of them they would all say it was disposed of properly. Yeah ok.....

Couldn't agree more, sorry, hit the post button to early, hence the edit - D'Oh!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
We've been wilding on the West coast of Portugal and yesterday serviced the van at the intermarche borne in Sagres €2 for 100l of water plus dumping of grey and black. (Bargain, yes??)

Anyway, partway through the refill we were approached by a French MHer who couldn't believe were paid the 2€ jeton fee.

"It's gratuit this side for water"

"Yes I know, but that's the black waste side of the borne and that tap has entered a thousand cassette nozzles"

"Yes but it's free"

"So is listeria"

I don't think I convinced him, as he walked away shaking his head at my extravagance.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I disturbed two Germans in Cabo de Gata emptying their cassettes in the Lagoon (nature reserve) Dirty pair of bastards cleared off very quick when i started ranting and raving,,,,BUSBY.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
Could not agree more re location. It is very beautiful. It was not to busy when we were there last week.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I understand fully what everyone is so cross about and I agree with them and that black water dumping is disgusting but...

...isn't it true that thousands and thousands of people in houses effectively (and unknowingly) dump their black water into the Mediterranean Sea too? I understand that it is one of the most polluted bits of water in the world. The thing is, it gets piped out to sea and no one sees it!

I think not...

Just saying like.

I think not...

Just saying like.

I think that most large hotels and ships process their own effluent before the pump it out these days.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I think that most large hotels and ships process their own effluent before the pump it out these days.

Logically ...wouldn't it be more ecologically responsible to NOT treat the black waste before dumping?............ it is already 'biological' ............

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Peasants ought to have their Motorhome confiscated.
If you are going to wild camp you should be geared up for it, we carry a spare cassette & using a spray bottle for flushing we can last 8 days without servicing.

Looks a nice spot may give it a try in a couple of weeks when we are on our way back through Spain.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
The RYA has details of what's legal to do.
Broken Link Removed
The scary part is how long waste stays intact in the sea:

Paper bus ticket 2-4 weeks
Cotton cloth 1-5 months
Rope 3-14 months
Woollen cloth 1 year
Banana skin 1 year
Painted wood 13 years
Tin can 100 years
Aluminium can 200-500 years
Plastic bottle 450 years Source:
Hellenic Marine Environment Protection Association (HELMEPA)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The RYA has details of what's legal to do.
Broken Link Removed
The scary part is how long waste stays intact in the sea:

Paper bus ticket 2-4 weeks
Cotton cloth 1-5 months
Rope 3-14 months
Woollen cloth 1 year
Banana skin 1 year
Painted wood 13 years
Tin can 100 years
Aluminium can 200-500 years
Plastic bottle 450 years Source:
Hellenic Marine Environment Protection Association (HELMEPA)

Happy to say I have never 'passed' any of those

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Peasants ought to have their Motorhome confiscated.
If you are going to wild camp you should be geared up for it, we carry a spare cassette & using a spray bottle for flushing we can last 8 days without servicing.

Looks a nice spot may give it a try in a couple of weeks when we are on our way back through Spain.
That's what we do, going to swap to the the spare cassette today and still have enough fresh water with us for another couple of days.

It really is a lovely spot and don't be put off by the busy photo I posted, that was taken on a Sunday when a lot of Spanish 'weekend only' vans were here. We wanted the sea view but if you are not bothered about that there are many places to park, without neighbours!!

The police patrol every day and a lady comes round in the morning selling bread.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We can go 14 days on black. But only 5 on fresh and grey, all that singing in the shower.

Reactions: JJ
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Some might, most don't
I'm no expert :) but I think many large hotels and passenger ships have the facilities to separate liquid and solid waste. The liquid is easily treated before being discharged and the solids can be stored. I don't recall seeing any solid waste in the Med for years. If solid untreated waste from the multi millions who inhabit the Med was being discharged off shore I'm sure we would all see it and taste it when swimming. Think about how many number one's and two's are deposited into loo's each day along that coast.:blush:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
The med. is not really tidal, just a few centimetres at most, so IMO what you suggest is unlikely!

The Med along the south coast of Spain has a bigger tidal range than a few cm (well at least it does where we go).

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
That's what we do, going to swap to the the spare cassette today and still have enough fresh water with us for another couple of days.

It really is a lovely spot and don't be put off by the busy photo I posted, that was taken on a Sunday when a lot of Spanish 'weekend only' vans were here. We wanted the sea view but if you are not bothered about that there are many places to park, without neighbours!!

The police patrol every day and a lady comes round in the morning selling bread.
Is it firm sand to drive on ??? There appears to be a service point just a couple of KM up the road at a BP garage do you know if that's in use? Thanks!

LilacMoss

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking again....
Exp
Im a newbie...since Sept 14
If solid untreated waste from the multi millions who inhabit the Med was being discharged off shore I'm sure we would all see it and taste it when swimming. Think about how many number one's and two's are deposited into loo's each day along that coast.:blush:

:sick:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Well the parkings busy now, looks like the pic, I think the Spanish may be on hols next week/this weekend so could be mobbed !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back