Something that puzzles me about solar panels. (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Apart from nearly everything, that is.

If a panel is exposed to sunlight but not connected to anything to charge/run/power etc, does it still produce power, and if it does, where does it go ?

As you may be able to tell I am a complete numpty when it comes to solar, or 'owt else electrical really, so please only answer in terms a numpty like me can understand. (y)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Simplest answer you need a circuit for it to flow simples.jpg

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
a form of energy resulting from the existence of charged particles (such as electrons or protons), either statically as an accumulation of charge or dynamically as a current.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's like the 13A socket on the wall of your house. It has the potential to produce energy but not unless it is connected to something. But unlike a 13A socket a solar panel doesn't go phut if you short the wires together. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
It doesn't go anywhere you just get a potential difference across the connections.

a form of energy resulting from the existence of charged particles (such as electrons or protons), either statically as an accumulation of charge or dynamically as a current.

Thanks for the replies.

Don't understand any of it :blush:

Basically the panel doesn't do anything then, and there is no build up of unused power or energy.
I think !!!!!!

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
It's like the 13A socket on the wall of your house. It has the potential to produce energy but not unless it is connected to something. But unlike a 13A socket a solar panel doesn't go phut if you short the wires together. :)

Thank you. I understand now :Grin:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
When we lived in Wales we'd collect every bit of Sunlight from May to September and store it all in a PP9 battery. Wow if it was a good summer and we got it fully charged it used to make our tongues tingle (y) . :D

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
Just don't short the wires together for too long!

Reactions: DBK
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
When we lived in Wales we'd collect every bit of Sunlight from May to September and store it all in a PP9 battery. Wow if it was a good summer and we got it fully charged it used to make our tongues tingle (y) . :D

The sun only shines on the righteous;)

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008

A friend of my dad once checked the power supply to a light fitting using that method, I stress the ‘once’.
:roflmto:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You lot are just trying to confuse me now :unsure:

Next they will talk about pmt, and shunts and all other 12v voodoo words, and then they wonder why simple people like me take the easy option and get a generator. Haha

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
tis a Jedi mind trick......the force is strong in solar panels... there is no work or not work the solar panel just is

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I just can't work out the thinking behind the statement, that bugs me.

It means that I am frustrated that there will be posts and explanations that I don't understand and it was meant in a joking fashion.
Hope you are now de-bugged (y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hope you are now de-bugged (y)

After a couple of thousand miles across EU land pretty much so, but for a problem with FIAT cruise control. Often it works perfectly by the book but now and again I can nudge it one up ( expecting 1 mph or so ) and it tries to take off and in this state the nudge down does not work and can even speed up. At least the foot brake always turns it off. So a faulty switch I'm guessing. It makes life very pleasant on clear EU motorways with an effortless rock steady speed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back