Someones cloned my number plate (1 Viewer)

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
I just received a penalty charge notice for an offence of entering and stopping in a box junction when prohibited
Two photos sent of a bloody great lorry with my moho number plate on it.
Anyone had similar? Did you have a nightmare proving your innocence?
John

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It shouldn't be difficult to defend this. Send them a copy of your V5 and perhaps a photograph of your vehicle. A short statement where you were at the time wouldn't do any harm either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
With it being a totally different vehicle just tell them to run anpr check or run it on the gov web site for mot or tax will soon show its not your vehicle.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The plates are obviously registered to you and the description of the vehicle at the DVLA will not be "bloody great lorry" so I don't see that it can be that much of a problem.

But what do I know.

Martin

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
John @Stagman , this happened to me twice with a car. I wrote saying colour of my car and that it was parked while I was at work and would they send me picture of who was driving. They wrote back to me saying due to data protection they couldn't, and I never heard anything else.

When they are forced to look up V5 details they will realise it's not you. Good luck.

Veronica

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Common practice in London ,CC , have seened it 3 times in past few months vans parked in private car parks, where I have parked, with number plates over the 'proper' ones . Toe rags

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
This happened to a guy at work and like everyone has said you'd think it would be easy to prove. He did eventually but it wasn't as straight forward as you'd think, they threatened to take him to court and in the end he just told them to do this as he'd already sent proof it was his car. They finally agreed with him and dropped all charges but it took several months.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
This happened to a guy at work and like everyone has said you'd think it would be easy to prove. He did eventually but it wasn't as straight forward as you'd think, they threatened to take him to court and in the end he just told them to do this as he'd already sent proof it was his car. They finally agreed with him and dropped all charges but it took several months.

Thats what I would do, go to court or threat of it and get your expenses etc loss of wages etc etc if they won't accept your evidence.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
My daughter and family were dragged out of bed at 1am because their car had been involved in an altercation involving physical violence. It wasn't until my sil pointed out that there was three inches of snow on their car and a totally cold engine that the police backed off. She was so upset they sold the car the same week.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
How do they do this, do they just make a number up, or what, surely if you went out to make a proper job of this you would choose a number off a very similar vehicle then you would have a hell of a job proving anything.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
How do they do this, do they just make a number up, or what, surely if you went out to make a proper job of this you would choose a number off a very similar vehicle then you would have a hell of a job proving anything.

The clever ones find a car of the same make and colour around the same year.

Onto eBay for buying "show plates" for around 8 quid and you're sorted.

Really is that easy.

Law abiding people go to Halfords etc with their V5 and proof of ID and pay through the nose.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The clever ones find a car of the same make and colour around the same year.

Onto eBay for buying "show plates" for around 8 quid and you're sorted.

Really is that easy.

Law abiding people go to Halfords etc with their V5 and proof of ID and pay through the nose.
That's what I was getting at , why would someone put a motorhome number on a lorry, where did they get it from , surely not by looking at number plates and choosing that one,

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Just purchased 2 sets of number plates off Ebay - both sets legal- not show plates, no V5 or evidence of ownership asked for

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
That's what I was getting at , why would someone put a motorhome number on a lorry, where did they get it from , surely not by looking at number plates and choosing that one,

Who knows how some minds work?

I suppose at the end of the day providing the original vehicle hasn't got a marker against it you will be ok with the copied plate.

OP
OP
Stagman

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
It does seem rather odd to copy a plate and then put it on completely wrong type of vehicle. Not very clever.
Police now informed and dvla. We are not so worried about proving this incident.

Its just future incidents with this lorry and what it is used for etc.
Now our number plate is flagged on the system we have been warned by police we will likely be pulled over.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
It does seem rather odd to copy a plate and then put it on completely wrong type of vehicle. Not very clever.
Police now informed and dvla. We are not so worried about proving this incident.

Its just future incidents with this lorry and what it is used for etc.
Now our number plate is flagged on the system we have been warned by police we will likely be pulled over.

Extra security for you, will you get an insurance discount :D

OP
OP
Stagman

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
You'd think so wouldnt you. Very stupid criminals but still hassle for us. Let alone the 45 minute wait for the police to answer 101. Thats some of my life i will never get back.

OP
OP
Stagman

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
My daughter and family were dragged out of bed at 1am because their car had been involved in an altercation involving physical violence. It wasn't until my sil pointed out that there was three inches of snow on their car and a totally cold engine that the police backed off. She was so upset they sold the car the same week.
Hopefully that wont happen now its on the system but worrying nonetheless.

OP
OP
Stagman

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
John @Stagman , this happened to me twice with a car. I wrote saying colour of my car and that it was parked while I was at work and would they send me picture of who was driving. They wrote back to me saying due to data protection they couldn't, and I never heard anything else.

When they are forced to look up V5 details they will realise it's not you. Good luck.

Veronica
Thanks Veronica
Hopefully as completely different vehicle we shouldnt need to prove where we are.
We were at home all day settling in a sweet little dog that is staying here for a week. Catherine took the car to tesco but that is all. Motorhome wasnt moved. So difficult to prove as we cant recall if we met anyone that day around that time or not.
Bound to have met some dog walkers i guess.
John

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I just received a penalty charge notice for an offence of entering and stopping in a box junction when prohibited
Two photos sent of a bloody great lorry with my moho number plate on it.
Anyone had similar? Did you have a nightmare proving your innocence?
John
Have you ever driven across this junction.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I thought a cloned number was always a similar make model etc as that would not trigger ANPR , but a differing one will show instantly pop up as wrong.
Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras only read the number plates as long as the number plates conform to or are very close to the legal letter and spacing format and does not or is designed to recognise models or colour of vehicles and as such would not know if it was a car, motorbike, MOHO or lorry. When a number plate is read then the system checks it against data bases for insurance MOT and road fund tax and flags up if any of these are not current on the vehicle. Markers can be placed against a number plate with information such as banned driver, drugs, violent driver, out standing warrant and so on and any car with a marker will ping up on either the roadside detectors to a central control room or the onboard ANPR in police vehicles that carry it. Number plate details can also be entered into the system which will allow the vehicle with that number plate to be tracked as it goes past detectors so knowing roughly its wereabouts or the likely route it's going to take to give the police a chance of nabbing it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stagman

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
If you're worried why not buy a cheap Reg from DVLA and change to avoid future problems, cost a bit but what cost for peace of mind.
Definitely considering number plate change.
The lorry in the photo accompanying the PCN looks like a very large waste lorry but no logo to see on trailer. We are wondering if they used the plates to get them through the emission zone as the contravention was at a junction on Blackheath Hill south London. Perhaps they change plates every time to stay one step ahead of the law...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Definitely considering number plate change.

I have some for sale including new plates ... £10 discount for a funster! (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back