Someone else unplugging your hook up (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter deleted-member02
  • Start date

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Unplugging EHU could have unexpected consequences. I know of one case where a person (committee member)made a habit of unplugging any caravans, when the owners had left the site. The reason he gave was he was trying to keep the clubs electricity bill down. (This was a site where vans were left on reserved pitches all season and some members left their vans on hook-up even though they were not returning for the rest of the week). However one person kept his insulin reserve in the fridge.

By unplugging this persons fridge electricity supply, the person medicine became unusable.

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
So many mischievous members - don't think I'll be taking hook up at any future meets :LOL:

Just for reference, I've got a great three way splitter should anyone feel the need to borrow some leccy....

Thanks for all the comments - appreciated (y)

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
On our MH, the handbook tells us to switch off the charger on the Sargent unit before connecting the EHU and then switching it back on afterwards. If someone disconnected our lead and just plugged it back in I wonder whether that could cause any damage?
Does the manual tell you to contact the national grid so you get due notice of a power cut.
You can't expect a charging unit to be designed to cope with power cuts :whistle:

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
SomeoneElse
Funster

arrow-up.png

IT WAS 'IM WOT DID IT!!

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-4_15-51-46.png
    upload_2015-8-4_15-51-46.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 5

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Not had it done to us, but by coincidence only last week site owner of French site did it to a pitch next door to us. We arrived at site paid for EHU, as the purpose of visit was to recharge batteries(plus us everything else included in the price). Pull up onto pitch, no spare EHU point. Clearly one (German) caravan had decided to plug 2 cables into EHU point. Within awning could see various amounts of wired in items (fridge fan electric rings) I wanted to pull out a plug but thought let the owner do it.
French owner came down pulled out one of the plugs, left note by awning. A few hours later German family return. From what I understood the French man charged extra for the two plug ins.
Didn't cause us any issues as after mid morning we were on the road again fully charged up Laundery done and lovely masses of running water. Then back to spalsh on soap rinse.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
forgive my ignorance but What is the Darkside???

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Last Christmas the power went off at our hook up just when we were about to cook the Dinner,turns out the entire post run was off. Later investigations revealed it was one of these 'no gas' caravans which are all electric,2 teenage girls with a tv on AND a music system and one was drying her hair,electric heating and God knows what else. Fortunately we had gas and change our cooking method.
Something similar happened about 15 years ago at Abbey Wood in October,the warden apologised and said they were waiting for the electricity engineer to up grade the trips.I always carry a three branch multi socket mainly for when my chums are with us.

johnaerial

Free Member
Mar 4, 2012
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner 'Travel Van'
Exp
Since 2002
To all concerned with disconnection/connection problems, we have a surge protection unit wired into the incoming 230v before the consumer unit so any mains spikes or surges caused by whatever means are disabled before they hit the motorhome electrics.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
also had ours unhooked, by youths in North yorkshire, as said before power loss alarm on machine is pretty loud, woke all the campsite, but doubt the yobs heard or cared.

Sutton35

Free Member
Jun 28, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2010
Same thing happened to me at Ravenglass C&CC came to find hook up lead disconnects and neatly coiled up next to the van, maybe some one was dropping a hint

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Are we going to have to design a lock now to prevent our mains cables being disconnected?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back