Some won't like this, veal (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have just got back from a diner party whar veal was served amazing meet haven't had it for a long time it came from sanburys just been looking it up on the net I don't have any objections to eating it
think it will hit a raw nerve with a few
bill

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Veal is the bye product of the dairy industry. Most of the little boy calves need to be moved into the food chain whilst still young. Therefore if you drink milk you should also eat veal.
There was aproblem regarding husbandry a few years back but UK sourced veal has a decent if short life. Not so sure about European sourced veal.
It should be eaten here in their UK rather than exported to Johnny Foreigner.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I depends how it is raised. I used to have a dairy house cow, and if a bull calf was born it was kept with the mother (we shared the milk) but then not reared on to full size. I think many people (me included) object to the crate reared veal produced on the continent, or bobby veal (calves killed at a few days old) - amended to make it clear that though I don't personally like the texture of bobby veal, I am fine with it going into the food chain rather than wasting it

British farmers are now beginning to produce Rose Veal, which I did - and are younger animals, but not confined to crates and fed only milk way beyond the normal times for a calf to have a pure milk diet.

If people realised that the alternative to this for the calf in question is to be shot at birth and the carcass disposed of there may not be quite so many howls of protest when veal is on the menu - though I wholehearted respect any vegetarian views, I am not a vegetarian at present.

Its a very good meat which just needs some careful sourcing (and of course careful saucing)

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yes the problem WAS with husbandry.

Lovely stuff, but it's gone mega-expensive in France now, and didn't look at ALL nice when we were over there Aug - Oct, - looked like scrag end of veal chop, all over France except in Carrefour in Boussac, theirs was perfectly fine and priced reasonably but only there for a week - anywhere else we went into a supermarket or past a butchers what wasn't bone was fat, and the bone looked as if an amateur butcher had had a go at it with a garden axe. I wouldn't have bought it if it had been €1.00 a kg frankly.

On a happier note - calf liver is fantastic.

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Nothing wrong with veal. As long as it's reared humanely. Although I have eaten Veau blanc and known it was when I eat it.

Rose veal is great, but not easy to find in shops.

The bull dairy calf is also suffering from other issues of course. If your breading a dairy herd, then you must ensure that all the off spring have value. Used to be they went into the veal food chain, yes, sometimes as white veal with all of those issues, but also they were the prime food source for the many many fox hound pack all over the country, that was until the soft liberal townies, who think that food just comes from tesco etc, got hunting band.
Need to look at the whole picture, not just the bit that suits you !

Peter

Deleted User
Nothing wrong with veal. As long as it's reared humanely. Although I have eaten Veau blanc and known it was when I eat it.

The bull dairy calf is also suffering from other issues of course. If your breading a dairy herd, then you must ensure that all the off spring have value. Used to be they went into the veal food chain, yes, sometimes as white veal with all of those issues, but also they were the prime food source for the many many fox hound pack all over the country, that was until the soft liberal townies, who think that food just comes from tesco etc, got hunting band.

Peter

Why is it that some members when describing others with differing views have to do so in deliberately derogatory and offensive terms.(n)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Peter

I came across a camp site owner a few years ago who thought we were " townies" which I suppose we are these days.

Anyway, we pitch up at this site in Kent that has a farm attached and advertised the fact that there was a sort of petting farm for children.

So we pitch up and go into reception and ask if they sell animal feed so that my young daughter could feed the animals.

Grumps behind the counter looks at me blankly and says he doesn't sell it and what did I want it for anyway?

I stated the obvious to him and he asked what animals my daughter wanted to see. I just said pigs, sheep. goats whatever.

Grumps then explained to my daughter ( who was about 4) that all the pigs are in the freezer and that she could go and look at them in there if she wanted. He also reminded us in a patronising tone that milk doesn't come from supermarkets.

He was a right old git. as we turned to leave he reminded us that we absolutely must not drive on the grass anywhere on site.

Guess what I did at every oppurtunity?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Peter

Why is it that some members when describing others with differing views have to do so in deliberately derogatory and offensive terms.(n)

Well hunting wasn't banned by us country folk, that is for sure............. personally I thought that "soft liberal townie who think that food just comes from Tesco" just about summed it up. Only an opinion of course.

Back to subject - yes, male calves used to be bolted if no other use could be found for them. Depends on the breed or cross. Everything - no matter what the meat - is about the sourcing. Everything...... nearly all our beef comes from a local herd 2 miles away. The local butcher sources his pork similarly; lamb is a little more difficult due to seasons. We pay a little more but worth it.

Veal? Love it but Mrs Deluxe has an objection to it

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't think I've eaten veal as part of a dinner but I do enjoy jellied veal as a sandwich filling. No idea where to get it from these days though. I used to be able to get it from a market stall when we went to Derbyshire to see my Mum but they stopped selling it last year because of lack of demand.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
And fancy us showing solidarity with those barbaric horse-eating French!:reel:

Animals are natures way of keeping our food fresh. If they didn't want to be eaten, animals would have evolved to taste bad!::bigsmile:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I don't think I've eaten veal as part of a dinner but I do enjoy jellied veal as a sandwich filling. No idea where to get it from these days though. I used to be able to get it from a market stall when we went to Derbyshire to see my Mum but they stopped selling it last year because of lack of demand.
Just stealing Tootle's thunder.......have you tried jellied lamb?;) Seriously - haven't seen jellied veal for years.

@jonandshell - a lot of insects etc have evolved to taste bad for precisely that reason - and just for the veggies (and to be fully inclusive), so have a lot of poisonous plants :rolleyes:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Just stealing Tootle's thunder.......have you tried jellied lamb?;) Seriously - haven't seen jellied veal for years.

@jonandshell - a lot of insects etc have evolved to taste bad for precisely that reason - and just for the veggies (and to be fully inclusive), so have a lot of poisonous plants :rolleyes:

It hasn't worked for sprouts though or broad beans.

They still get eaten but taste like you know what to me.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have no objections to cooking and eating British rose veal.

At present we are trying to shed a few kilos (anyone watching the BBC2 programmes that were on Monday, last night and will be on tonight?) a lot to think about. :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Never tried jellied lamb but I have tried jellied beef from the same place I used to get the veal. Not special enough to seek out though.

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
Had a holiday in Italy a few years ago - nothing but veal blanc on the hotel menu - sick of it after 10 days, now I can't stand the stuff!

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Isn't lamb roughly the same, no-one objects to eating lamb.
after looking in to it I don't know what all the big deal was we had a big debate over dinner it's very high welfare any thing involving any animal in the uk
one diner refused to eat it and gave me a lecture on the ethics of it.
Maybe I should have research it a bit but I did not have a problem with it as Our host had told us it was British produced.
but I got a lecture on how they are kept in crates ext ext just some ill informed idiot I listened to :doh:
sorry if this cased any distress :blush:
BILL

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Would eat rose veal. Don't have an issue with that at all. But calves kept in the dark, in cages....no! It's cruel.

We buy lamb from our neighbour. She has a few Jacobs sheep and every year rears a few lambs. Born in the spring. Reared alongside mum in the field on grass and killed in October. The loveliest lamb I've ever tasted.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Peter
I was born in Shap and lived half my life there. I still own land that is an island within the Earl of Lonsdale's estate. I now live in Kendal. Your opinion on the Town / Country split on the Hunting Ban simply doesn't hold water. I have many friends who farm and many more that I know. The majority have never taken any interest in hunting, know it for what it is, and are happy with the ban.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I was born in Shap and lived half my life there. I still own land that is an island within the Earl of Lonsdale's estate. I now live in Kendal. Your opinion on the Town / Country split on the Hunting Ban simply doesn't hold water. I have many friends who farm and many more that I know. The majority have never taken any interest in hunting, know it for what it is, and are happy with the ban.
Lived in the wiltshire country side all my life and totally agree

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back