Some will not like this. (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Have you nothing whatsoever left to eat ? = good reason .(y)
Anything else isn't as they've cancelled any hospital appts.
As I explained in an earlier post, many people are expected to travel for essential work.
Some people seem to be having trouble understanding this.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We saw a Pilote coachbuilt out and about and although it's easy to assume that they shouldn't be, who is to say its not their only form of transport.

That concept may be too much for your average PC plod to even contemplate as it would require a degree of common sense and intelligence? so they may just adopt the stance that you must be travelling in a non essential way if your not in a car?

Having said that, there is no excuse if you haven't got a justifiable reason. Just my opinion.
The police are out and about putting themselves at risk in an effort to protect others. I doubt they would appreciate your insulting unnecessary remarks.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Having been a copper a lifetime ago, when your stopping vehicles your are looking at the driver not the vehicle and making a quick judgement as to whether you want to talk to that person. You get a 6th sense for stopping depending what you are looking for. You could still get it wrong but so what, 3 to 5 mins chat and then the driver is on his way. What is the problem with being stopped, unless you are in the wrong then ‘just deserts’ are in order.
The biggest mistake drivers made was wind their necks out and start getting upset.
if someone starts shouting at you what would you do you either shout back or if you are professional which many officers are they will not shout back but spend more time holding you up trying to find out why you have become defensive shouty.

Last edited:

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
Then all he would have to do is show his driving licence to Plod with his home address on it, reading the article he obviously had no good reason to be travelling so Plod are correct in sending him home
Interesting i'm not full timing but if I was I wouldn't have a home address that was where I lived, my present licence has my parents address on it and their house no longer exist sold to developer when they passed on

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Having been a copper a lifetime ago, when your stopping vehicles your are looking at the driver not the vehicle and making a quick judgement as to whether you want to talk to that person. You get a 6th sense for stopping depending what you are looking for. You could still get it wrong but so what, 3 to 5 mins chat and then the driver is on his way. What is the problem with being stopped, unless you are in the wrong then ‘just deserts’ are in order.
At 17 yes old, I had a police minivan following me across Anglesey for 45mins. He eventually stopped me, i hadn't done anything wrong, he came over to my side of the car and said he was going to book me for wasting Police time ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I am waiting to be stopped as my PVC is sole vehicle now as I have just got rid of car because I don’t expect to do much driving for at least 3 months and when I can the first trip will be a month in the Outer Hebrides, even then I may just slowly return home in 2 or 3 months because I will be retired and can just that.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
At 17 yes old, I had a police minivan following me across Anglesey for 45mins. He eventually stopped me, i hadn't done anything wrong, he came over to my side of the car and said he was going to book me for wasting Police time ??
Oh Sorry welsh police are different to other forces, we used to take the Micky out of them calling them ‘The Gurka’ as they took no prisoners, if you could speak the lingo you could get away with murder.

Dec 2, 2019
West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Clubman
Exp
Since Nov 2018
Anything else isn't as they've cancelled any hospital appts.
Not quite true. I am undergoing chemo and shielding for 12 weeks, but must still attend hospital for my next treatment on Tuesday. Not happy about having to go to the most likely place to get infected for miles around, but the hospital would not want me there if it wasn’t essential.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would think there is less chance of catching covid19 in a park then on the tube train. And according to London's illustrious mayor there is no chance of catching it on the tube. And he listens to experts. (there's always a first time)
When did the mayor say that was it very recently or at the same time as Boris was saying that hand shaking was ok its moving so fast that opinions are very quickly changing. Last time I saw the mayor he had just started being on the cobra committee looked quite pale and was saying whatever you do stay at home

Dec 2, 2019
Redcar/Cambrils, Spain
Funster No
MH
Now Tugging
Exp
More with boats than Moho
Interesting i'm not full timing but if I was I wouldn't have a home address that was where I lived, my present licence has my parents address on it and their house no longer exist sold to developer when they passed on

In that case you will find that you are breaking the law by not having your licence registered at your home address

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
The police are out and about putting themselves at risk in an effort to protect others. I doubt they would appreciate your insulting unnecessary remarks.
And I should be concerned about that?

As I said in one of my "insulting and unnecessary remarks", respect is earned and not an automatic right. The uniform may have commanded that respect in the Dixon of Dock Green days, but not anymore unfortunately. However, most of that is a result of the abuse of power that is demonstrated by some Police around the UK, on a daily basis. Just google police misconduct and you'll see uploads on a daily basis from around the UK.

Norfolk and Suffolk police have a slogan: "Our Priority is You".....but I bet you'll find it isn't if you did some more research about Mr Bailey and his dysfunctional organisation.

Sorry to disappoint.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
In that case you will find that you are breaking the law by not having your licence registered at your home address

Nothing unusual for me to lazy to get it changed especially as it was only renewed 2 years before we sold mums place(y)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
My MH is in a secure compound. From 8pm tonight it is locked in, no visits until such-time!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Oh Please! that’s not what I said was it ?

Ohh and it’s my understanding he traveled whilst knowing he was ill ?

it was though....... unless you meant something completely different of course.
It doesn’t take a genius to work out that the most senior Royals are widely geographically separated for a good reason. And rightly so. They should be protected as heirs to the throne and as monarch

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
There is a reason for the 2m rule. The primary way of getting infected is by someone coughing or sneezing on you. The virus is carried on relatively large globules when it's ejected. The absolute maximum they can reach is about 3m and they drop out of the air as they travel. Even in a strong wind its very unlikely enough would hit you at 2m to cause infection.

Just walking past somebody in the street does not put you at risk unless they directly cough or sneeze on you, right in your face or on your hands. As long as you don't touch each other either, you will be fine.

This shows the pointlessness of wearing a mask in the street, especially when you are the lone person in a car or truck. It's not "in the air"!

Also, I've seen people misusing the term "superspreader".
This doesn't simply mean they've infected lots of people. An ordinary spreader can do that. A superspreader is someone who sheds a large viral load in their mucus causing them to be more dangerous than a normal person. They may very well meet more people as well, but that's not why they're a superspreader.

Why is it some people just don’t get the above ?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
it was though....... unless you meant something completely different of course.
It doesn’t take a genius to work out that the most senior Royals are widely geographically separated for a good reason. And rightly so. They should be protected as heirs to the throne and as monarch

They arnt that seperated though are they.

Both the Queen and Charles on the same estate.

You obviously missed my point on that note I won’t be responding.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
They arnt that seperated though are they.

Both the Queen and Charles on the same estate.

You obviously missed my point on that note I won’t be responding.
I thought the queen was in Windsor, and Charles at Balmoral?

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Oh Sorry welsh police are different to other forces, we used to take the Micky out of them calling them ‘The Gurka’ as they took no prisoners, if you could speak the lingo you could get away with murder.
Erm that's actually true to a degree, I got away with 50mph through traffic lights at Valley Anglesey, driving a Irish Coach on National Express, late for the Ferry! If I was Irish he would have booked me! ?

May 19, 2018
Funster No
IMG_20200329_180433.jpg

Poodlepower

Free Member
Mar 17, 2018
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
since 1983
I find this a difficult one. Like maison I'm going to keep driving my campervan around. I need to keep the battery going. If it goes flat I've got no way of charging it. I live on my own, I will get in my campervan on my own, drive around and come back home. No contact with anybody. The only risk I run is if I break down. I think we've got to give people the credit for making their own decisions. Or have we got to the stage where we can't rely on people to make sensible decisions for themselves and we have to have draconian enforcement.
I have a smartcharger on my motorhome when it is out of use and it keeps my engine battery fully charged. To keep my leisure battery fully charged I plug the motorhome into my home electrics so I don't need to take it anywhere at the moment. I would prefer to drive it regularly to move the tyres and let the oil go round the engine etc. but not in these difficult times.

BRND

Free Member
Sep 7, 2018
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
At some point, in the next few weeks, I'll need to go down to Cornwall and make sure all is OK with my Mum and her carers (all isolated)

Normally I'd stay in the Granny flat at the bottom of the garden, however my niece has taken up residence as she has been living in LA and is now effectively trapped in the UK with no place to live.

My Sister is currently trapped in NZ, but her house has her son and friend living there as they are also homeless.

So when I go down the M5/A30 I'll be in the motor home and I'll be parking in the driveway (Which is well away from the house)
I'll leave it as long as I can, but it's weeks not months we are talking about.

I’m sorry to ask but why do you need to go down if she has carers, can’t you ring to check on her. You maybe putting her at risk by visiting her? If you are staying in the drive and not going on what’s the point of going at all. It is hard for many of us not to visit relations who are ill.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC

"The World Health Organization says the virus that causes COVID-19 doesn't seem to linger in the air or be capable of spreading through the air over distances of more than about 3 feet.

But at least one expert in virus transmission said it's way too soon to know that.

"I think the WHO is being irresponsible in giving out that information. This misinformation is dangerous," says Dr. Donald Milton, an infectious disease aerobiologist at the University of Maryland's School of Public Health.

The WHO says that "according to current evidence," the virus is transmitted through "respiratory droplets and contact routes." By that, the agency means the virus is found in the kind of big droplets of mucus or saliva created through coughing and sneezing.

These droplets can travel only short distances through the air and either land on people or land on surfaces that people later touch. Stopping this kind of transmission is why public health officials urge people to wash hands frequently and not touch the face, because that could bring the virus into contact with the nose or mouth.

Other viruses, however, get shed by infected people in a way that lets the germs actually hang suspended in the air for minutes or even hours. Later, these airborne viruses can get breathed in when other people pass by. Measles is a good example of that kind of transmission — the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says, "Measles virus can remain infectious in the air for up to two hours after an infected person leaves an area."

The WHO said that this kind of airborne transmission of the new coronavirus might be possible "in specific circumstances and settings in which procedures that generate aerosols are performed," such as when a patient is intubated in a hospital or being disconnected from a ventilator.

Based on that, the agency recommends "airborne precautions" when medical workers do those procedures. Otherwise, the WHO says, health care workers caring for COVID-19 patients could use less-protective "droplet and contact precautions."

That troubles Milton, who says so little is known about this new virus, SARS-CoV-2, that it's inappropriate to draw conclusions about how it is transmitted.

"I don't think they know, and I think they are talking out of their hats," Milton says.

He says people like to think that there's some sharp, black-and-white distinction between "airborne" viruses that can linger and float in the air and ones that spread only when embedded in larger moist droplets picked up through close contact, but the reality of transmission is far more nuanced.

"The epidemiologists say if it's 'close contact,' then it's not airborne. That's baloney," he says.

When epidemiologists are working in the field, trying to understand an outbreak of an unknown pathogen, it's not possible for them to know exactly what's going on as a pathogen is spread from person to person, Milton says. "Epidemiologists cannot tell the difference between droplet transmission and short-range aerosol transmission."

He says these are hard questions to answer, and scientists still argue over how much of the transmission of influenza might be airborne. Some research Broken Link Removed that exhaled gas clouds from people contain a continuum of many droplet sizes and that a "high-momentum cloud" created by a cough or sneeze might carry droplets long distances.

What's more, one study of hospital rooms of COVID-19 patients Broken Link Removed that "swabs taken from the air exhaust outlets tested positive, suggesting that small virus-laden droplets may be displaced by airflows and deposited on equipment such as vents."

Another study, in hospitals in Wuhan, China, found that most areas had undetectable or low levels of airborne virus.

In the face of this uncertainty, Milton thinks the WHO should follow the example of the CDC and "employ the precautionary principle to recommend airborne precautions."

"The U.S. CDC has it exactly right," he says, noting that it <Broken link removed> airborne precautions for any situation involving the care of COVID-19 patients.

Of course, the world is struggling with a shortage of the most protective medical masks and gear. For the average person not working in a hospital, Milton says the recommendation to stay 6 feet away from others sounds reasonable.

He says if someone in a house is sick, it makes sense to have that person wear a mask and to increase the ventilation in the room, if possible, by cracking open a window. People shouldn't cram into cars with the windows rolled up, he says, and officials need to keep crowding down in mass transit vehicles such as trains and buses."

[/QUOTE]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back