Some welcome (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We stopped off at Soer Lighthouse in Highlands yesterday/last night. few others there as well including visiting French couple. We were woken this morning at 08.30 with loud banging on MH door. Dog went mad as you'd expect.

Banging continued whilst I tried tomake myself decent enough to open the door, and got verbal abuse on opening the door from young(ish) lady.

Apparently were taking up two places on the car park (we were about 6" over the line) and didn't reverse into space. No one else had reversed into the space as you would not have a view if you did.

She was very loud and didn't appear to take breath whilst shouting at me, and I hardly got a word in edge ways. We moved over to one bay but didn't bother reversing though, as no one else did either.

There is a sign on the road which I admit we didn't see when we arrived that night, but still wouldn't reverse in.

The wife spoke to another MH there and they had same verbal abuse as us. The French couple didn't seem very amused either.
This place is community owned and we did put a donation in the box, the views are fantastic too, but she won't put us off returning one day.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Got me intrigued as to what you could have done to cause such an issue, we have been there ourselves, but do tend to be rather out of season, we have parked on right where the tea wagon is here, no such luxury when we went

Don't recall any marked out parking

Where did you park? Only possible justification for the outburst might be if you were right up by the lighthouse which has café and does accommodation

upload_2017-5-7_19-41-43.png

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Got me intrigued as to what you could have done to cause such an issue, we have been there ourselves, but do tend to be rather out of season, we have parked on right where the tea wagon is here, no such luxury when we went

Don't recall any marked out parking

Where did you park? Only possible justification for the outburst might be if you were right up by the lighthouse which has café and does accommodation

View attachment 161681
Don't let it wind you up, we find these people in every race, Just make sure your between the lines from now on (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I once got s ticket for being inches over a line.
Why did you choose not to reverse in though if that's what the sign says?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Probably the owner of the tea van?. From her point of view, having several Motorhomes with their OWN facilities close by reduces her potential Take. So getting "bolshie" will " in the minds of some" ,discourage the unwelcome non Purchasing?. I think I would have been inclined to say "and you have a nice day too".

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
I know the area well , yes I remember the reversing request , and I do remember the slightly faint marked white ? Lines . Also I remember the churned up area of grass etc . Cause by the amount of vehicles using the car park etc .its fair comment not being able to see signs late on in the day . What gave her the authority to shout etc ? Did she say who she was ,and what she was doing there ?? Being so remote ? Fair play you contributed in the honestly box .

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
there is an offense in Scotland called " breach of the peace " ,perhaps a call to the police would have been in order
Are you having a laugh:rofl: Would you really call the police? I could see the point if the Op felt threatened but otherwise your wasting police time, like going telling tales to the teacher.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Are you having a laugh:rofl: Would you really call the police? I could see the point if the Op felt threatened but otherwise your wasting police time, like going telling tales to the teacher.
where on my post does it say that I would call the police ? please point it out

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Some people are hard work full stop and you will never please them , it was most likely that time of the month... :imoutahere:

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I parked on left, and if you reverse in you're facing inland. My MH doesn't have rear lounge so no view from rear. Everyone else parked facing sea as well. The parking sign is the small one on the left as you drive in.
The girl was the tea van owner I think. It won't put us off and we'll go back and still not reverse in.
I know one of the Directors of the trust so may have a word to her about one of their supporters attitude to visitors.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
She would have got my usual response to be verbally abused without reasonable discussion.
I am too polite to write it on here unless provoked.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
:pIt's wrong I know but I am finding this post quite funny even though it's not. Unfortunately I would not have been so kind to her actions or tone. Knowing my own failings and her actions even though she was shouting I would have asked her in my broadest loudest Glaswegian accent who the f*ck she was and what the f*ck she was doing in banging on my door before calmly saying Elaine and standing off to the side to let my Ulster born wife calmly and politely verbally rip her to shreds. Fortunately I am the only fool she suffers. Chances are though once she realised that I was a scot she would have backed down as has happened in the past in similar situations. It is wrong but people like this are so full of self importance they believe because they are a local that they have the god given right to question the actions of non locals especially the further North you go. The sad thing is that the North of Scotland is full of friendly sociable and accepting people it's just that one or two of them are loudmouth Bawbags so full of sh*te that they need bringing down to earth at every opportunity. I would also note her registration, and report to the community officer how offended I was to be rudely awakened to an angry what I would presume to be a member of the community alliances actions first thing in the morning especially as I had deposited the appropriate fee into the honesty box. I would then play on the fact I was helping the local economy and these actions by a member of your community could reflect badly on visitors to that area especially as a lot of MoHo owners chat about their travels on forums for all to see and would suggest that something needs to be done with the signage to stop this happening in the future. At the end of the day it is an income into the local community plus the fact it costs nothing to be pleasant. I know everyone has different ways of interaction but if someone is aggressive towards me I give them it right back by the spadeful. I don't know what is more frightening, a large angry Scotsman or a calm and quiet ruthless Ulster girl, only kidding its the Ulster girl, hands down.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As far as I can determine, she doesn't own the land or have any jurisdiction or authority on the parking.. and whether you drive or reverse park makes no difference to space occupied, she was well out of order.

I would review her place on Trip Advisor giving the full details of how she acted.. and consider reporting to the crofters association

http://www.living-the-dream.org.uk/index.html

Three 'terrible' reviews make interesting reading

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...d_Sutherland_Scottish_Highlands_Scotland.html

Last edited:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Looking at the google screen shot I can only see two out of the nine or so vehicle that have backed into their spaces.
The loud mouthed tea van owner/car park attendant would appear to be neglecting her duties me thinks.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would review her place on Trip Advisor giving the full details of how she acted.. and consider reporting to the crofters association

I had no idea it was on TripAdvisor or they had a web page. I'm tempted to leave a review, but I'll speak to the wife first.

I might be wrong here, but are the reviews not for the lighthouse and their facilities

Nothing to do with the tea wagon owner

edit - I take it back just read the reviews posted by Jim o_O read then write next time David :(

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I thought there was some unwritten motorhomeing law that said reverse in so you are ready for off, there is some sort of rhyme about it but can't remember it now, but we are lucky in having the largest window in our van at the rear.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We have the cure to aggressive people banging on the van door and getting aggressive. open the door and you find a tall gate containing 3 staffies, which are known to take any aggression personally and bark in your face

last person to do it was a deputy site warden, angry because i had parked slightly away from the obligatory peg. this was after a long hot drive causing a headache so blinds were closed and i was having a lay down. popped into the site office a few hours later to apologise and the boss was on duty, she laughed and thought it funny that the stroppy little git had been taught a valuable lesson

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
looking at the tripadviser blog, doesn't look like she is a local. well known white settler syndrome, three minutes in a place and they think they own it and behave like they are the local laird.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I would have told her to go back to her shed, and then I would have put a sign outside my motorhome saying....free tea and coffee here. (y)

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Just read all the negative comments on trip adviser not good . Just hope she doesn't have the influence on the authority's that own the carpark etc would be such a shame if they stop motor homes parking there .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back