Some Scrote has damaged my Vehicle (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Hi all not sure if in right section.
Last night my nissan Terrano was broken into ripped out the dash to get to the ingnition lock total trashed it also pulled out a lot of wiring, Damage to nearside door lock, but could not get it running.
informed the insurance company they said because of its age 1994 it will be written off.
So how do i go about getting a fair price.
Spent a lot on it over the years, recon gearbox 3 part clutch lots of new streering joints,
exhaust front to back. Battery,
What are my rights etc.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
they will right it off as an uneconomical repair but you have the right to offer to buy the vehicle back after they agree a payout.
you need to weigh up if its worth spending money making good or accept the payout as it stands.
most are happy to sell you it back as it saves them the trouble of removing and scrapping it and paying out less cash in the first place.

it will always be flagged as a cat C or D loss vehicle after that when you try to insure it....but that can be overcome.

Insurance Loss Categories - Quick reference

* Category A - Must be crushed. All of it.

* Category B - Vehicle may not be returned to road but parts may be sold.

* Category C - Repairable. Significant damage. Cost of the repair is more than book value of vehicle at dealer rates.

* Category D - Repairable. Probably non-structural damage. May have been economic to repair, but insurer doesn't want to.

* Category X - Repairable. Minor Damage

what you spent on it is pretty much insignificant.....they work on current market value unless you had an agreed value policy when you insured it.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Ask your insurance company what the write off price is, then make them an offer. There will probably be more than happy to accept. The only problem you may have is getting it insured after woulds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
my son just had his car written off due to accident ( not his fault ) but they paid him a fair price and let him keep the car to do with as he wished,,,,didnt even have to buy it back,,,saved them having to get it picked up from our house and scraped.....so you might get lucky.....

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hopefully, you will be offered a fair price, my understanding is that the price offered is still negotiable, check on auto trader etc to see how much similar vehicles would cost you to buy, then use that info if the offer is too far away

Good luck

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
My son wrote my van off a couple of years ago.

The assessor offered me a figure, I pointed out the mileage and that the van had just been serviced and MOT'd........and asked him to find something similar on Autotrader

He said 'fair enough' and upped the offer by £700 which I accepted (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

The assessor offered me a figure, I pointed out the mileage and that the van had just been serviced and MOT'd........and asked him to find something similar on Autotrader

Similar to when my car was smashed up. The insurance company made me an offer, I looked for the same make / model / age / mileage in the area and sent them the adverts so they could see what was being asked and they matched the asking price with wiggle room. They did say I could get a similar car for less elsewhere and I said okay but you'll have to add on taxi to Berwick and train fare for me to collect it. Just be reasonable and remember it isn't personal as far as they are concerned.

My policy provided me with a hire car for up to six weeks so I think the insurance company just wanted to settle asap. The car was a Class B write off as the other driver had smashed into the front and gone over the top. I'd pulled off the road to give her space (she was overtaking a van on a blind summit) so you can guess at the speed involved.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Lots of knowledgeable replies for you. I can only say I'm sorry this happened to a van you've cherished and done so much work on. Makes me so angry that some scrotes ( as you aptly describe them) expect to get something they've never worked for.
Hope you can move on with the insurance co and soon be motorhoming again.

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Thanks for all your info chaps and chapasas,
just have to wait and see what they offer.
Laurie.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Another thing to bear in mind is the likely effect on your premiums of the claim. If they are only offering a low value it might not be worth claiming:(. Last time I had a claim was years ago when I got the quote for the next insurance premium had gone up so I gave them a ring pointing out I had no claims protection. They said the no claims was protected but the premium before no claims was higher due to the claim. Robbers

David

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

I have told this before ............. shortly after the claim, insurance renewal was due ..............£1800 through a broker.......went direct to the insurance company that paid the claim ........£750 !!

So if you make a claim shop around for renewal(y)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
If you want to replace it. I have a terrano . Black . 2006. With back bench making it a 7 seater , alloys etc. It's in good nick and was our caravan towing vehicle. Before we got our Motorhome.
Now it's my getting to the shops vehicle. :blush:
But I'm wanting a nice new , smaller run around. Now the kids don't need lifts etc etc. Give me a pm .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back