Some really basic newbie questions - Chausson Flash 10 (1 Viewer)

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Help much appreciated please -

If using Elsan blue or Thetford liquid in loo, when, how much and how often do you use?
If using the above, can the cassette be emptied down a normal household loo if necessary?
If using bio fluid or those little washing capsules, how often, how much and when?
Chocks and levelling blocks - can you position them when on your own? Makes or recommendations please? Any advice on using?

Thanks very much.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
You will get better answers from more experienced people than myself, but in answer to some of them:

The cap on the end of your loo can be used as a measuring cup for the liquid, about half full should do (check for fill marks inside it)
Add about 1 litre of clean water and swirl around
Do not pour the liquid down the hole in the middle of the loo, it will damage the seals

Empty the loo when it is around 2/3 full or if you are not going to use it for a few days
With care, you could empty it down a regular household loo, but the smell can be truly awful
Never empty down a street drain

Advice

Do not put anything that will not degrade down the loo (non soluble wipes)
Wear gloves when handling
Beware of splash back when you empty it (eyes, feet and cloths) - don't rush

Hope this helps. Stand by for the experts, as I have no knowledge of levelling blocks. I have them, but unused as yet

Upvote 0

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Hi guys My best advice is
in the bottom half of the loo
after emptying and rinsing the cassette add 4 brewers yeast tablets.
Available from health food shops
you can get them for around a penny a tablet
They work really well breaking stuff down
Very little odour
They are clean to use (no blue liquid stains on hands etc.)
They are lightweight to carry around
They are small so take up very little space
They are massively cheaper than any other product
They are can septic tank friendly
all in all win win

Kev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Levelling blocks can be done on your own just a bit of practise needed
As for which make.
If you are using them on grass in summer most will be Ok
If you are using them on hard standing buy the more robust ones. Or risk cracking the cheap ones
If using in winter. Blocks often get frozen to the ground.
Resulting in needing either a good whack to get them free.
Most blocks won't stand the strain
I use wooden blocks in winter. They are heavy and a bit more cumbersome
and plastic in summer.

hope that helps
a bit

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Blue Loo or alternatives have been covered.

Levelling blocks. Milenco triples or quattros are one of the more common makes used. Strong and sturdy, but can be expensive and heavy. The fiamma yellow ramps are good if you tend to use hard standings that are level and you just need to bring your nose up a bit. Using by yourself just takes practice and slow movements so you can count the steps you have climbed so you don't over shoot and come off the top as the flip up can cause damage to the underside of the MH.

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
When setting up the loo follow the instructions on the bottle for the correct strength. I normally make up 1 litre of loo blue. To strong and you stink the MH out, to low you also stink the MH out (slightly differnt scent though).
Empty full ones down a designated disposal point. you can use your house loo but be careful, I tend to lift the outside manhole if I need to empty mine at home.
I empty mine every 2 - 3 days depending on use.
Never pour it down a road drain or into a roadside ditch!!!!

I haven't had a problem using levelling blocks on my own. Give them a good push under the tyre when getting ready. I've got Fiamma ones they work ok 99% of the time. The Milenco ones look to be a bit taller. Move your MH around the pitch a bit and you get it level eventually.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
After many years motorhoming, I now only use the Bio washing capsules. They are much cheaper, they smell better and no measuring is required. Just drop one of the squidgy little bags in every time you have emptied the toilet. It took me some time to discover that this system works but only after a very thorough washing to remove all traces of the blue chemicals or other chemicals which kill the bio action from the bio capsules. We buy ours from any supermarket and prefer the green or pink ones which smell the best.

Reactions: JJ
Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We use bio washing liquid...
Perfectly fine to empty down a loo
Empty regularly if its getting heavy use!
We avoid doing No 2s in the van unless unavoidable and then we try and use "happy bowl" liners.
Levelling blocks are fine on your own so long as you're careful. . if in doubt get help

Upvote 0
OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Thank you very much everyone, very helpful and much appreciated.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Don't forget to hold the little yellow button in on the cassette when emptying to prevent splashing.
I used to have a Flash 10 so happy to answer any newbie questions!
Thank you very much. I'm really battling with getting the blinds open and closed?

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hello there @faraway
I love your avatar!

Talking leveling blocks, I'm not sure if you are traveling alone? Get your passenger (or fellow motorhomer) to help and direct you. Make sure that they don't stand where they could get hurt though and DON'T let them fiddle with the things whilst you are moving. Normally, you can't see the blocks from the cab so you have to 'feel' your way up. Just get the wheels straight first. It's easier with the ones that have stages, but even with those, it's easy to go up and over! Sometimes, you may need to offset them because the slope itself is uneven.

The trick is to walk the ground in the first place. Just moving the 'van a few feet may negate the use of the leveling blocks altogether!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Hello there @faraway
I love your avatar!

Talking leveling blocks, I'm not sure if you are traveling alone? Get your passenger (or fellow motorhomer) to help and direct you. Make sure that they don't stand where they could get hurt though and DON'T let them fiddle with the things whilst you are moving. Normally, you can't see the blocks from the cab so you have to 'feel' your way up. Just get the wheels straight first. It's easier with the ones that have stages, but even with those, it's easy to go up and over! Sometimes, you may need to offset them because the slope itself is uneven.

The trick is to walk the ground in the first place. Just moving the 'van a few feet may negate the use of the leveling blocks altogether!

Thanks Wingman. A Harvard head-on at that height doesn't come along too often for a photo:) Good levelling advice, thank you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Right! I've just emptied the loo for the first time - using a home loo. No real problem, but when I turned it up into "carrying" direction, i.e. tube uppermost, it seemed to drip quite a bit of water from the other end (no comments please!!). It also seemed to drip more when I pressed the orange button which I assume is the one for air and to make it flow more easily. It actually emptied without problem when I was rinsing and did not press that button. Is this normal?

Upvote 0

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
faraway is it the blinds that are a problem opening or the fly screens?

Upvote 0

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Best advice is rinse it out well
then put clean water in and see if you can find if it has a leak around a seal or elsewhere
You CAN do the same test with foul water but you will find people wont stand near you afterwards

Upvote 0
OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Many thanks kev, I would believe that! Will give it a try

Upvote 0

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
On our van it had finger pulls on the fly screens of which all but one had broken which made them almost impossible to
open with out risking tearing the screen mesh

Upvote 0
OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
The stinky bit!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Concertina. They seem to have a groove on a metal piece the width of the blind that you can curl your fingers around to pull on, but they seem to keep jamming.

Upvote 0

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Sometimes its just a two handed job to ensure the pull is in a straight down ward direction

Upvote 0

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
We havent had any problems with our concertina ones
However i did find on our old van a squirt of furniture polish in the tracking and then buff it up
helped to ensure the blinds ran smoothly

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back