Some pics of my DIY mood lighting project (1 Viewer)

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Hi there :)

Another lighting project!

This time, the infamous 'mood lighting'.

Now I realise this subject in itself is a bit like Marmite. Some love the idea, others hate it. So I won't be offended in the slightest if this isn't for you :LOL:

The key with mood lighting is not being able to see the bulbs, I think it defeats the object otherwise.

So another trip to Aten Lighting to get some RGB flexible LED strips. I bought 5M on a reel, along with a controller box and a remote control. I bought the RF remote, rather than infrared, as I didn't want to have to point the remote at a particular receiver or similar and it meant the control box could be completely hidden out of sight.

Here's some pics of the kit, test it first!

download

There are various types of remote, this one has a touch sensitive dial on the front which allows you to choose any colour imaginable:

download

You can also adjust the brightness with the remote too (to further set the mood I guess):

download

I didn't take any photos of the install, but suffice to say in my rear-lounge there's a nice gap below all the cupboards in to which you can stick the LED strip (comes with 3M sticky tape on the back).

Alas, once again, my camera phone lets me down, it's simply impossible to take decent photos in low light, the camera really doesn't do it justice.

download

What's quite obvious in the photo, but not 'in real life' is the glare/reflection on the pull down (white) window blinds.

download

It looks quite bad on the photos but in reality you can't actually see the reflection of the light on the blinds. Again, I'm pinning the blame for this squarely on my camera phone in low light conditions :rolleyes:

download

More colours to choose from than I can point the proverbial stick at:

download

One major problem I've noticed with this whole mood lighting thing is that it's surprisingly addictive!

No sooner had I finished the rear lounge area than I'd then somehow convinced myself that the entire motorhome should be lit this way!

So another call to Aten and I was off and running in the front too:

download

In the over-cab bed (as-was, now used for storage) you can just see a glow from above the original curtain rail. I'll probably put some black tape on the inside/behind this to hide it.

download

So there we go!

Marmite, right? :cool:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
what were we all thinking about in 1999 not fitting it as standard :)

my 2007 is blighted with the rope light fore runner to LED's, useless, only mood it creates is mine and it takes over 6A's

even thinking about it has given me another bad mood :mad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I was looking at properties a couple of months ago. Looked at a beautiful flat that had been fitted with similar sort of lights, except they were in just white and a darkish blue. Looked stunning.

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
We have done to same but we close the curtain as that takes the glare from the white blinds. We also have the 3 sides on separate switches. But Jane only wanted white lights so that is what we got. Mind you I did put the coloured one on the outside

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Not for me I am sorry to say it looks like a scene from a 70's disco. I can almost hear the theme tune from Shaft playing in the background LOL Sorry!!

OP
OP
RogerThat

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
When do the working girls move in ?

When I put it on the RED colour setting :oops:

Looked at a beautiful flat that had been fitted with similar sort of lights, except they were in just white and a darkish blue. Looked stunning.

Along these lines, I've now also convinced myself that my kitchen indoors would look so much better fitted with this type of lighting too (y)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Did similar ,but non LED ,back in the 60s early 70s in a old Bedford bus
Large bed across the back area . known as the passion wagon :)

And love marmite

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't see the point unless you are a 16 year old kid, most of the time spent inside the van is either cooking & eating or sleeping, and that lighting would go with nither.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Don't see the point unless you are a 16 year old kid, most of the time spent inside the van is either cooking & eating or sleeping, and that lighting would go with nither.

And on the same lines, why do kids buy jeans that are slashed at the knee. My granddaughters tire of me saying "Granny could stitch those up for you".

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi there :)

Another lighting project!

This time, the infamous 'mood lighting'.

Now I realise this subject in itself is a bit like Marmite. Some love the idea, others hate it. So I won't be offended in the slightest if this isn't for you :LOL:

The key with mood lighting is not being able to see the bulbs, I think it defeats the object otherwise.

So another trip to Aten Lighting to get some RGB flexible LED strips. I bought 5M on a reel, along with a controller box and a remote control. I bought the RF remote, rather than infrared, as I didn't want to have to point the remote at a particular receiver or similar and it meant the control box could be completely hidden out of sight.

Here's some pics of the kit, test it first!

download

There are various types of remote, this one has a touch sensitive dial on the front which allows you to choose any colour imaginable:

download

You can also adjust the brightness with the remote too (to further set the mood I guess):

download

I didn't take any photos of the install, but suffice to say in my rear-lounge there's a nice gap below all the cupboards in to which you can stick the LED strip (comes with 3M sticky tape on the back).

Alas, once again, my camera phone lets me down, it's simply impossible to take decent photos in low light, the camera really doesn't do it justice.

download

What's quite obvious in the photo, but not 'in real life' is the glare/reflection on the pull down (white) window blinds.

download

It looks quite bad on the photos but in reality you can't actually see the reflection of the light on the blinds. Again, I'm pinning the blame for this squarely on my camera phone in low light conditions :rolleyes:

download

More colours to choose from than I can point the proverbial stick at:

download

One major problem I've noticed with this whole mood lighting thing is that it's surprisingly addictive!

No sooner had I finished the rear lounge area than I'd then somehow convinced myself that the entire motorhome should be lit this way!

So another call to Aten and I was off and running in the front too:

download

In the over-cab bed (as-was, now used for storage) you can just see a glow from above the original curtain rail. I'll probably put some black tape on the inside/behind this to hide it.

download

So there we go!

Marmite, right? :cool:
Why am I expecting a fish to swim by.........:)

OP
OP
RogerThat

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Thought I'd provide a little update on this as it's been about six months since I installed this mod.

Well, it's still a great feature, a great gimmick and a good talking point, but the reality is that of the 16 million colours I have to choose from, I tend to only use white :rolleyes:

Or if it's chilly out then I'll switch to a warmer looking amber shade.

The other colours, while looking great, aren't actually that useful. The dark blues and dark purples look amazing but are too dim to read with. The greens just play tricks on my eyes. And the red shades see all manner of strange folk knocking on my door for some reason :whistle:

The dimmer features get used a lot, that's really handy (y)

So in summary, a fun gadget, but I think next time round I might just install some warm-white led strips for a soft evening glow and I'll stick with the cool-white leds that I've fitted in all my ceiling lights for actually seeing with lol :D

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I have fitted them around the van And I like that you have done the main lights to. I think I will try that. And I love marmite.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back