Some more help please for the owner of a 1984 LT31 Camper (1 Viewer)

colinmud

Free Member
Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Phew, last time I was put right in about 10 minutes when asking for help in getting my springs sorted. What a brilliant site.

It's the handbrake that's causing trouble now...

The sheet metal handbrake has been bent and the ratchet engages only intermittently. Does anyone know where I might obtain a spare, or should I try to straighten out the old one. An expert neighbour has tried once to no avail.

Once this is sorted I'm back on the road!

Colin M

OP
OP
C

colinmud

Free Member
Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Thank you

My wife is away for a week and has the camera so I can't take pictures at the moment. I will remove the brake handle and have a close look at it.

Thanks for your advice,

Colin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Well it's got to be worth a try...

I've had to get stuff made up / made myself parts that I cannot get hold of any more....

It can be done...

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted.:thumb:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Phew, last time I was put right in about 10 minutes when asking for help in getting my springs sorted. What a brilliant site.

It's the handbrake that's causing trouble now...

The sheet metal handbrake has been bent and the ratchet engages only intermittently. Does anyone know where I might obtain a spare, or should I try to straighten out the old one. An expert neighbour has tried once to no avail.

Once this is sorted I'm back on the road!

Colin M

Hi Colin. I've met this problem before and if I'm right I think it'll be because your handbrake was originally designed to be fitted to a LHD chassis. Well, it would be, wouldn't it, being a VW! When it was fitted to a RHD chassis it meant that the mounting bracket is now on the wrong side to resist the 'pull' from the other side than originally intended, thus bending the handbrake lever away from the ratchet every time you 'pull' it on - if you see what I mean. Any competent DIY'er or a half decent mechanic should be able to fix it for you and even add a bit of strength in the right place to prevent it happening again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back