Some ignorant B*****d keyed my lovely MoHo (1 Viewer)

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Not looking for sympathy the damage is done. He was leaning against the van while we were watching the Carcassonne City fireworks, I just asked him not to lean because he may scratch it. Well he obviously took offence and deliberately made about six very deep vertical scratches right down to the aluminium on the Hymer 614. Didn't discover it till next morning by which time everybody had long gone including the boats on the Midi which I think he was on one.
I am particularly gutted because I had followed the @Charlie masterclass and it looks beautiful with a perfect deep shine.
So.... what should I do? It is about an 8 inch square of damage about waist high to the left of the hab. door. To get it resprayed I think will be very expensive (Silver metallic) and I think it will always show especially living in the South of France and the "near enough is good enough" attitude here, it would probably always show.
Should I wax it immediately to stop oxidation of the aluminium? Should I polish with the polish recommended by Charly and/or Clay it?
I did think I could find a tasteful vinyl picture or symbol, any suggestions and possible suppliers that do mail-order? Perhaps I could get it resprayed more reasonably when I come to the UK in October. Any suggestions of a very competent and not too expensive spray shop? We will be travelling between Dover & Aberdeen and back.
Thanks for any suggestions or advice.
Steve

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not looking for sympathy the damage is done. He was leaning against the van while we were watching the Carcassonne City fireworks, I just asked him not to lean because he may scratch it. Well he obviously took offence and deliberately made about six very deep vertical scratches right down to the aluminium on the Hymer 614. Didn't discover it till next morning by which time everybody had long gone including the boats on the Midi which I think he was on one.
I am particularly gutted because I had followed the @Charlie masterclass and it looks beautiful with a perfect deep shine.
So.... what should I do? It is about an 8 inch square of damage about waist high to the left of the hab. door. To get it resprayed I think will be very expensive (Silver metallic) and I think it will always show especially living in the South of France and the "near enough is good enough" attitude here, it would probably always show.
Should I wax it immediately to stop oxidation of the aluminium? Should I polish with the polish recommended by Charly and/or Clay it?
I did think I could find a tasteful vinyl picture or symbol, any suggestions and possible suppliers that do mail-order? Perhaps I could get it resprayed more reasonably when I come to the UK in October. Any suggestions of a very competent and not too expensive spray shop? We will be travelling between Dover & Aberdeen and back.
Thanks for any suggestions or advice.
Steve
Plenty of these, chipsaway people about always seem to make a good job , what I have seen of them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Second recommendation for Chips away. We've used them a couple of times on minor paint repairs ok our cars. Great result
Think we paid £250

Hope you can get it sorted

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Second recommendation for Chips away. We've used them a couple of times on minor paint repairs ok our cars. Great result
Think we paid £250

Hope you can get it sorted
Yeah, we had a couple done at home once, couldn't see where they had done it, and couldn't have been that dear as I can't remember how much it was.

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
Only one downside with getting a smart repair is that it is silver and a difficult colour to blend in.

fleurette

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I640 SD
Exp
Sorry to hear that Steve, hope you get it sorted out, there are some right ignorant B*****ds about.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Chipsaway, whilst very good ( have used them in the past on cars) have changed the way they do things and are now very expensive!
I had them out last week to quote on a few scuffs around the lower sills of my MH.
Over £600 plus vat!!!

The bloke was very apologetic, said previously they would have been able to do it for less than half that by touching in with their spraying equipment, now the company ( its franchised) has provided new equipment and guidelines meaning that whatever they do they have to do a whole panel! The bloke said they used to be very busy and could do several jobs a day, now they have less work as it's so expensive and takes a lot longer.
Shame, as they were very good price wise. I reckon a local body shop would be the way to go. ( or for the OP's purposes, a graphic of some kind)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Very sorry to hear this. It really is hard sometimes to understand what makes some people tick..

First things first.
Wax it immediately. This will help prevent any moisture causing problems.

Pictures are key here as close as possible and from several angles please.

Your paint is silver so two layers. One is the base/colour coat the other is the lacquer coat.

If the scratches are through the lacquer and into the base then it's going to need repainting. But if it's in just in theblacquer then polishing out and or wet sanding can make it like new again.

Look at it this way.

I would wet sand and polish before assuming that paint is required. I mean what have we got to lose ? If by wet sanding/polishing we go through the lacquer well it's paint time. If we don't then it's a relatively easy repair.

Wet sanding is not for the faint hearted nor is it for the inexperienced. It is entirely possible to remove to much material or more than required and strike through. This is why we use complex paint thickness gauges that identify the thickness of the individual layers of paint and lacquer. The paperbwe sand with is quite entirely different to normal wet and dry also. It is very very low cut as low as 4000 grade.

Try something for me..

Can you feel the scratches with say your finger or thumb nail ?

Pictures are key and I will try to advise.

Last edited:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Perhaps I should read first...Mmmmm

If the scratches are on an aluminium panel and not painted repairing is reasonably easy. Pictures please.

I will then write again after reading properly.

I've left the above text in case it helps others.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
IMG_0670.JPG
This is an advert in our local paper, presume it's a franchise that other garages are in.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
feel for you, wonder if he was already doing the damage while leaning, out of some jealousy infused action and you stopped it getting worse, hope you can get it sorted properly and it doesn't cost too much (y)

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I'm very sorry for you. You work hard to buy yourself a nice MH and a young lout does this to it. I hope you get it fixed properly at reasonable cost.

I do have a solution for this sort of behaviour:

IMG_0834.PNG

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Very Sorry to hear of your damage. really do not know what the answer is to your problem. Though with a photo, more help will be along soon.

Its just on your mind and then you see it and want it sorted.

I always wonder what you do if we catch someone?

I will not type what I feel. Just so wrong. Happened to me on a few occasions. I had a very expensive brand new Sports car in 2000. Got it keyed in Spain. Cost me £1,000's.

Just finished restoring my S500, took my Granddaughter swimming, called into ALDI on the way home and I get a car door slammed into the side.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I'm very sorry for you. You work hard to buy yourself a nice MH and a young lout does this to it. I hope you get it fixed properly at reasonable cost.
I do have a solution for this sort of behaviour: View attachment 175600

I feel for the OP, so unnecessary. Perhaps this may be more suitable.

upload_2017-7-20_22-19-55.jpeg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had a repair done on a champagne gold Hymer after I had a little prang, you could not see where it had been sprayed in. A good body shop should be able to do an invisible repair.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Bastard:mad: (not you, the bloke:))
Just get it done properly by a good paint shop. If it's your pride and joy why would you want it done cheap?:confused:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Unless you can make a perfect repair I'd go with disguising with a vinyl ............

Unless it is a perfect repair you will always 'see it'

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Unless you can make a perfect repair I'd go with disguising with a vinyl ............
Unless it is a perfect repair you will always 'see it'
Yes that is my real fear.
Thanks for all the comments and good wishes. I tried to take a photo but the sun was so bright that nothing could be seen. I then had to go out for the day, just got back. I will try again tomorrow to get a good shot.
Thanks for the advice @Charlie I am afraid it may be too deep for sanding out as I can see the shiny aluminium showing so filling and repainting I think will be required and as above unless they can make it a perfect match will stick out like a sore thumb. It is on a large panel with large decals. but I will wax it as suggested to stop moisture ingress and perhaps try a bit of polishing to see if it will minimise the effect. Just wanted to check what was best first. If I can think of a tasteful vinyl it may stop me feeling so sick every time I see it until I can perhaps find a good body shop in the UK.
Out of interest he was about 60 and I think English off one of the hire boats on the Midi so just a jealous A**H**e not a young Scroat.
Steve

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Just finished restoring my S500, took my Granddaughter swimming, called into ALDI on the way home and I get a car door slammed into the side.

We always park upstairs in the less popular area of our local Tesco and prefer the extra walk to getting our cars dinged by those who couldn't care less!

Aldi and Lidl car parks near us are too small, too full and even more likely to have more people who don't care about banging their car door against yours so I try to avoid going there at all costs!

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
For those who thought it was a French guy
and those that thought it was a young guy
Question your stereotyping.

A 60 year old English guy
a prime age to buy a motorhome.
Not all of us are caring and considerate.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have a few orange reflectors on our van to cover nasty dents, I would rather see a reflector than a dent, just an idea for you to think about @OldAgeTravellers

If you do cover it with a reflector you will need more than one to make it look OK, you can always stick them lightly and see how it looks.

Martin

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Angry and upset for you. :(

Don't know but could some kind of decal camouflage it? I had to do that on my last one with wolves.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Sorry weekly shopping day today so SWMBO needed a chauffeur. I took some photo's not sure how representative they will be I have very low bandwidth internet so can only upload small files unless I stay up till well after midnight.
But... while shopping, Aldi had a scratch repair kit for €5.99 says it will work on metallic finishes. I am sure @Charlie will say it is rubbish but I am clutching at straws and if I am to cover it or even have it professionally fixed if that is possible when I come to the UK, then unless Charlie says don't even think of it it may be worth a try.
Anyway in answer to Charlies earlier question the scratches are very deep, easily felt with a nail, a couple actually digging into the aluminium as you can see in the first photo.
I will upload the photos here: The lighter patches are reflections not different colours. The second pic. is the same scratches but I tilted the camera to try to get some contrast.
Hope it gives an idea. Thanks again for all the support and suggestions and of course Charlies really in depth knowledge. Not sure pictures of wolves is us @movan but a decal is perhaps the way to go. If I can think of or find something we like.
A Rotweiller with the words "Do you feel lucky Punk" springs to mind.
Steve
20170721_072655.jpg
20170721_072741.jpg
20170721_072808.jpg
20170720_110145.jpg

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Reading the instructions on-line of the scratch repair kit from Aldi made by Stark in Germany, it says , "if the scratches are very deep, use touch-up paint first". It suddenly dawned on me that there was a nail varnish size bottle of paint in my pack of papers with the Van with price on it of €20.45. At that price it must be good. I have just put a small dob on to see if it is a close enough match.
Today is very hot but tomorrow is said to be cooler if I get up very early and move the van into the shade on the damaged side. I will have a few hours before the body is too hot to touch.

So my plan is, unless somebody says different:
  • Clean the area with car shampoo then dry and de-grease with alcohol (meths).
  • Mask the surrounding area with low tack tape and polythene sheet.
  • Carefully touch in with the touch-up paint to fill the scratches (the colour does look OK).
  • Continue until filled.
  • Level the excess paint with the (special) wet-n-dry abrasive included in the kit. The grade marked on it is 01 0000 (but looks very much finer than 0000 that I am used to) lubricating with detailing fluid.
  • Continue with the cream in tube 1 then tube 2
  • Finish with the super fine clay bar I already have again lubricating with detailing fluid.
  • then polish then wax.
  • If it looks ok then leave it if not then go back to square one and look for a tasteful decal to mask it.
Good Plan? Or have I messed something?
Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back