Some help please Hindley/Wigan to Germany (1 Viewer)

Andrew Lee

Free Member
Apr 7, 2017
hindley, wigan
Funster No
MH
Frankia 730
Exp
Hi fellow travellers, we are planning to travel to visit son and grand children in Bielefeld, Germany. We will be setting of on the evening of Friday 21st of July and we are going to stay in Bielefield for 3 nights when we get there. We would like one overnight stop somewhere nice in Europe when going out and two coming back. Has anyone any ideas for stops also for best routes and ferry crossings.
Regards Andrew and Carrie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I think I would be looking at the Hull to Rotterdam crossing to cut out a lot of tedious driving presumably, in your time scale, all on motorway/ autobahn.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I think I would be looking at the Hull to Rotterdam crossing to cut out a lot of tedious driving presumably, in your time scale, all on motorway/ autobahn.
The thing is to weigh up the costs of Hull/Rotterdam, Dover/Calais or Dunkirk or Harwich to Hook of Holland. Shorter the crossing, generally cheaper the price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Strangely enough, I found a price of £112 for Dover crossing but around £75 if you could go the day before but I assume that's impossible

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We live in leyland and favour the dover calas crossing as find the hull one costs so much more. We travel down 1 day, stop at the port or brit stop and take the 8.30 am ferry.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Just a very quick perusal of Hull/Rotterdam ferry price and it's in the ball park of £550 return plus meals. About 8 hour crossing but includes a cabin.
It'll save some time but costs a lot more. I imagine that Dover/Calais crossing is around less than half the price.
Juggle around with the crossing times and get best price.

OP
OP
Andrew Lee

Andrew Lee

Free Member
Apr 7, 2017
hindley, wigan
Funster No
MH
Frankia 730
Exp
Just had a quote of £721 return from Hull to Rotterdam, I think I may do a little more driving

OP
OP
Andrew Lee

Andrew Lee

Free Member
Apr 7, 2017
hindley, wigan
Funster No
MH
Frankia 730
Exp
We have just booked with the channel tunnel return for £238, Thank you everybody, we would still like some advice on nice places to stop on our way from Calais to Bielefield. Making a mini holiday of it type of thing.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We have just booked with the channel tunnel return for £238, Thank you everybody, we would still like some advice on nice places to stop on our way from Calais to Bielefield. Making a mini holiday of it type of thing.
That's a very good price especially for the dates you wanted Andrew.
I'll leave it to the more knowledgeable Funsters to suggest stops to Bielefeld and return, possibly the Rhine or Moselle. Not long to go.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Now there is a blast from the past- HINDLEY, I was dragged up in France Street off Ladies Lane.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Just had a quote of £721 return from Hull to Rotterdam, I think I may do a little more driving
That's the reason we always drive. We don't mind the long drive, the bus is really comfy and we can stop to make brews or food when we need. Even with petrol being so expensive we're quids in by driving. We've not been to Germany yet, going this year so can't help with stops sorry. Have a good trip.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Just looked at the map and Maastricht is about half way from Calais to Bielefeld. There is a lovely marina at Maastricht with camping and you can get the river boat into the town from there or easy cycle. Have a look at the website http://www.maastrichtmarina.com/

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Just looked at the map and Maastricht is about half way from Calais to Bielefeld. There is a lovely marina at Maastricht with camping and you can get the river boat into the town from there or easy cycle. Have a look at the website http://www.maastrichtmarina.com/
There is a stellplatz at Maastricht we stayed in at Christmas. Really lovely site with electric and automatic entry/exit. Can't remember the price but it was reasonable.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I think you'll find that Hindley, or to give it its Sunday name Hindley Green is addressed as Wigan. Either a pie eater or a cow 'yed from Westhoughton, unlike a black pudding muncher from Bury.
notloB rules ko (n):LOL::LOL::LOL:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I think you'll find that Hindley, or to give it its Sunday name Hindley Green is addressed as Wigan. Either a pie eater or a cow 'yed from Westhoughton, unlike a black pudding muncher from Bury.
notloB rules ko (n):LOL::LOL::LOL:
Very true but definitely close to cow yeds and not far from lobby gobblers.
Now leave Bury black pudding munchers alone. That's proper food. :moon2::reel::whistle2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back