Some help needed please (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
I've changed my number plate with DVLA over to our new van but taking the number plate itself off the new van to replace with mine may cause some damage :Sad: there are no visible fixings so I assume it's been glued on :Doh:
A lot of new cars look the same, am I missing something or is there an easy way to remove it?

Rob.

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Number plate

Rob,
I swap, plates all the time. When there are no visible fixings they will have used super sticky tape.

Phil

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Try this.....

A mate that used to work doing body repairs suggested getting a piece of thin wire (like a cheese-wire) and getting it behind the edges of the plate and then gently sawing it along, pulling the wire up and down, so that you cut through the adhesive but didn't actually rub against the bodywork behind the plate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ROB1CHELSEA1
Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Rob,
I swap, plates all the time. When there are no visible fixings they will have used super sticky tape.

Phil

This super sticky tape, will it cause any damage if I just pull hard enough?

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
If you don't need the old plates why take them off. I stuck my personalised plates to the originals. Otherwise, just start lifting the plate at one end. The sticky pads will give in, eventually.

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
HI.
To remove bonded on plates:-

Take about 20/30 inches of very strong fishing line (about 20/40 lb breaking strain). Wearing stout gloves, wrap each end around your hands, and holding it tightly, slide it between number plate and bumper. Using a sawing motion drag it along, cutting through the adhesive strips in the process. Hey Presto, number plate safely removed.

You should be able to purchase new special adhesive tape from any number plate supplier. Do not use domestic double sided adhesive tape as it will not be up to it.

When fitting new plates ensure that all surfaces are chemically clean to ensure perfect adhesion.

If you have difficulty sourcing the correct fitting tape, PM me, I have probably got some left from when I used to manufacture number plates.

Hope that this helps.

David.

OP
OP
ROB1CHELSEA1
Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
HI.
To remove bonded on plates:-

Take about 20/30 inches of very strong fishing line (about 20/40 lb breaking strain). Wearing stout gloves, wrap each end around your hands, and holding it tightly, slide it between number plate and bumper. Using a sawing motion drag it along, cutting through the adhesive strips in the process. Hey Presto, number plate safely removed.

You should be able to purchase new special adhesive tape from any number plate supplier. Do not use domestic double sided adhesive tape as it will not be up to it.

When fitting new plates ensure that all surfaces are chemically clean to ensure perfect adhesion.

If you have difficulty sourcing the correct fitting tape, PM me, I have probably got some left from when I used to manufacture number plates.

Hope that this helps.

David.

FANTASTIC INFO, thank you :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I always take em off the easy way.. Hair driver and a constant pull ( but I have finger nails like pick axes )

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
agreed a piece of fishing wire between 2 sticks like a cheese wire and warm the plate with a hair drier

fixing pads in any car accessory shop or halfords for a couple of quid

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back